Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

JOGLE

Hi all.

I'm aiming to organise a charity ride from John o' Groats to Land's End next summer. Does anybody know of any good websites with info on how to organise such an event, or any other sources I can try? It's a bit of a daunting task, logistically.

Any suggestions will be greatfully received! Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes

There are an awful lot of links on this page: http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm Some are dead, most are just blogs talking about rides, but many contain useful info and other links, if you can be bothered to wade through them.

Good luck with the preparations - and the ride. I did a LEJOG this summer and can safely say it was one of the best things I ever did.

I think there's a lot to be said for finishing closer to home. The 2-day minibus ride from John O'Groats at the end was definitely not a highlight for me.

Having said that, we had a 20mph+ wind at our back for most of the six days it took us to do our LEJOG. I don't think I'd have such fond memories if we'd been cycling into that the whole time...

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Doing it that way round as I'll finish closer to home!

fair enough: i suspect that's a reason for many people, although it's a long old drive either way  1

The Good Shepherd | 13 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Dave, much apprecated!

Doing it that way round as I'll finish closer to home! Otherwise it's a long trek from the northern-most tip of Scotland to the Midlands. I figure after I've spent that long in the saddle I'll want to get home as soon as possible!

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

any particular reason you want to do it that way round? lots of people seem to at the moment but i've never really understood why. it's almost certain to be harder, what with prevailing winds and having to do Cornwall at the end...

The CTC are a good port of call, they have an info page on it at http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3397 - that's mostly riding though and small-scale logistics. You could try getting in touch with Threshold Sports (www.thresholdsports.co.uk) who organise the Deloitte Ride Across Britain, I'm sure they'll have some insights into the whole thing...

Latest Comments