Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Annual best bike maintenance - BB & Chain questions

Hi All,

As the weathers turned I've found myself on my winter bike more and more.  I've been prepping for a few hours spent doing some annual maintenance tasks on the best bike (my wifes away next weekend so I can actually work inside in the warm rather than being banished into the garden  1 ).

My best bike has around 12000km on it now; it's rather hard to describe - but I think I should probably be replacing the BB (Pressfit 86 (86.5x41mm)) as it feels occasionally like it's not spinning smoothly.  I've heard pressfit BB's described as a commodity item, which people replace regularly.

The one's I've seen online seem to be around £45 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sm-bb92-41b-pressfit-road-bottom-bracket/) which is more than I thought they'd be.

So, first question:

- Are all pressfit BB's created equal? Should I just buy the standard Shimano one in a like-for-like replacement? Or are aftermarket ones worth looking at (bike has 2016 Ultegra Di2 if that makes any difference).  It's an expensive bike so I haven't tended to scrimp on components.

- What tools do I need to do this myself? I already have one of these (https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-9) as I needed one to swap disk brake rotors around.  I'm guessing I need a bearing press (or to create one myself as per the youtube videos), some loctite? Anything else?

Second question is around chains.  I use dry lube on my best bike, so I need to strip off all the factory grease/oil from the replacement chain before waxing it.  In the past I've used a bio-degreaser for this, but its always felt like a bit of a faff.  Can I just bathe it in white spirit for a few hours, a couple of times? Anyone got any hints for stripping down a new chain?

Cheers,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

number9dream | 6 years ago
0 likes

At this time of year I strip my best bike down completely to just the frame. Replace the BB and headset bearings if necessary (much cheaper from a bearing shop rather than a bike shop), put in new cables etc. and rebuild. 

My own experience of press fit, albeit with bb30, is that it works fine with the recommended loctite and the right sized crankset but the shimano adapters are a nightmare. I would replace with a praxis BB shell which converts to shimano with no creaking and since it's got external bearings much easier to service in future.  

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

Take a look at my blog here. Dead easy to do.

CXR94Di2 replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

Take a look at my blog here. Dead easy to do.

Nice wite up,  I too use a bolt, nut and washers to press cup or bearings into place.  I use a large flat punch to knock out the bearings, instead of Park Tools bearing removal tool.

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pop a c-bear BB in there.  You will not regret it and they last for ever.  Such a good investment.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

If you're going to replace the bottom bracket, then jump over to one of the screw together version like Praxis works, Hope BB conversion, Wheels Manufacturing etc. They are so much better at preventing creaks and clicks.

Chains, I tend to remove and soak in Gunk whilst in an ultrasonic bath, this removes all the road grime which becomes a grinding paste unless removed regularly. I then rinse in water again ultrasonic. After I drop into a tub of chain saw oil hang to drip dry, wipe excess from surface. I then wipe clean again once on bike. It sounds long winded but in all it takes 10mins of my time in attention, the rest is the chain left hanging whilst I do other jobs on the bike. It returns the chain to like new look and feel, extremely smooth linkages.

Latest Comments