Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best sealant for tubeless tyres at higher pressures

I was just wondering what sealant all you tubeless tyre users go for, and what you think is the best sealant for tyres at 'normal' road pressures. Lots of sealants are great at lower pressures (so fine for gravel tyres and cyclocross use) but fail to seal as effectively when the pressure gets up to and above 80psi.

Recommendations? Opinions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Flying Scot | 6 years ago
0 likes

I dont do Tubeless, but Caffelatex is what in my tubular, and it works at 130 psi. They also do a tint bottle of accelerant to dab on bigger holes from the outside, that works great too.

It does need cleaned off anything it hits before it dries though, as they dry in brown and it will not come off.

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've used stans no tubes very effectively to seal punctures in tubs up to 120psi but reviews very mixed for tubeless application - perhaps you need heavier duty stuff and/or more of it in a tubeless as no inner tube.

Orange seal seems to get more favorable reviews for tubeless applications.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Road pressure and sealants is a grey area, not all are created equal. 

I often ride at higher pressures and in short, don't use Stans it's rubbish, don't use Continental Revo, that's equally as rubbish, DO use Orange Sealant or I personally use the Bontrager Sealant (but you 'really' need to shake it a lot before use) and I've heard decent things about the Effetto Mariposa Caffe Latex Sealant also but don't know anyone who's used it.

I'll probably swap oevr to the orange stuff once I run out of bontrager, but I'm not mixing sealants, that'd be like crossing the streams in ghostbusters!

paulrattew | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've been running tubeless tyres since 2012 but have always thought that the sealants could be a bit better. I'm going to try the Orange Seal stuff - seems to get a lot of love.

kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Orange sealant

schlepcycling | 6 years ago
0 likes

I run all my tubeless at 80psi and am using Orange Seal sealant, the normal stuff in my best bike and the endurance stuff in my winter bike.

CXR94Di2 replied to schlepcycling | 6 years ago
0 likes
schlepcycling wrote:

I run all my tubeless at 80psi and am using Orange Seal sealant, the normal stuff in my best bike and the endurance stuff in my winter bike.

I do like orange sealant

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use sealant in tubular tyres upto 130 psi. They have sealed thorn punctures. Tubeless don't run that high 95psi maximum

HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

The best thing about Tubeless, you don't have to run your tyre at too high a presssure.  That said I run it on the TT disc and used to put 105psi in it no problem (never had any problem with the seal), I did realise though after a few TT's the tyre would fit better in my frame at 95psi or below.  I'm running a Stan's road sealant I think (I can check when I get home).

HLaB replied to HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes
HLaB wrote:

The best thing about Tubeless, you don't have to run your tyre at too high a presssure.  That said I run it on the TT disc and used to put 105psi in it no problem (never had any problem with the seal), I did realise though after a few TT's the tyre would fit better in my frame at 95psi or below.  I'm running a Stan's road sealant I think (I can check when I get home).

Just remembered to look its actually Joe's Super Sealant

Latest Comments