Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Genesis Equilibrium Disc

I'm thinking of changing my frame out for the new Genesis Equilibrium disc frame but am struggling with the price increase over last years and over the rim brake version. Is it really worth £300 more this year just because it has through axles and a new fork design? It's only another £50 to get a Fairlight Strael which is 853 (if that even matters now days).

Any thoughts on the value of this as I'm struggling?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

I converted mine to semi-disc by bunging on a fork with BB7 and Askium Disc front wheel for the winter. Cost me under £100 all-in.  Put a barrel adjust in the front cable as a join/swap and can turn the whole thing around in under 15 mins - just need to thread the inner through the cable from the hoods and join stuff up.  Changing the fork takes 5 mins.  I found the front disc with rim rear was more than adequate for winter training and club rides, and the odd bit of shopping.

bikeclips | 6 years ago
0 likes

Trouble now is that they've sold out of the Strael until December when they take delivery of the latest iteration of the frame. It's going to be more expensive so if that's a deal-breaker, crack on with the alternative.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Strael and absolutely love it. The great thing is that they do two different geometries for each size so you can choose racy or relaxed. The main tubes are 853, the chain stays are 631 which is basically un-heat-treated 853 and the seat stays are 725 which is standard cromoly. The Anraed fork is super light and stiff as well and the bike has a brilliant handling geometry, you can chuck it through the bends and it just follows where ever you want to go without you noticing what it's doing.

mike the bike replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

StraelGuy wrote:

I've got a Strael and absolutely love it. The great thing is that they do two different geometries for each size so you can choose racy or relaxed. The main tubes are 853, the chain stays are 631 which is basically un-heat-treated 853 and the seat stays are 725 which is standard cromoly. The Anraed fork is super light and stiff as well and the bike has a brilliant handling geometry, you can chuck it through the bends and it just follows where ever you want to go without you noticing what it's doing.

Reynolds 725 is very far from "standard chromoly'.   It too has been heat treated, has very respectable pascal values and can be made daringly thin walled.

Dnnnnnn replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
1 like

mike the bike wrote:

StraelGuy wrote:

Reynolds 725 is very far from "standard chromoly'.   It too has been heat treated, has very respectable pascal values and can be made daringly thin walled.

Thank you for standing up for my Betsy's honour and reputation, Mr the Bike.

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've had Reynolds 625 disc version and loved it. I'd say go for last year's model (TA are no biggie in my mind), or go for Strael which is fantastic (853 triangle plus 631 rear end + better/lighter fork). Depending on the fit that Fairlight does, Strael could be definitely more aggressive/stiffer than Equilibrium - which is pretty relaxed and comfy.

Latest Comments