Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacement for stolen CdF - so n plus zero - like for like or upgrade recommendations?

Hi all,

Looking for ideas to replace my sadly stolen but well used CdF 20. Dilemma is replace like for like (stick with what you know) or wee upgrade to make best out of bad situation. 

Initial thoughts were this years 20, last years 30 on sale, or even the Equilibrium disc 30 (also on sale) swapping in some stronger wheels.

Worried my intended use might be a stretch for the eq disc - intended use being general day to day stuff, some light off road (have mtb for anything too technical), winter training (or as I call it, winter cycling), but also some multi-day bikepacking with or without rack - not restricted to tarmac, eg NCN 7 which has some forest road/gravel sections.

Any thoughts on above, and any alternative recommendations? Had hoped to spend less than £2k, but I made the mistake of straying onto Shand website (Stoater looks ideal if I can justify it to myself!)

First post on road.cc so be gentle with me 

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

philhubbard | 6 years ago
1 like

Have you looked at any of the Gt Grades which are currently on sale at Wiggle? Should be able to get a carbon version for under £1500

epcp20 | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd add that if you can afford hydraulic disc brakes with whatever bike you choose, that makes a massive difference. I upgraded my 2015 CDF 20 to the 105 hydro groupset and the difference is night and day compared to the old HYRDs.

nplusone replied to epcp20 | 6 years ago
0 likes

epcp20 wrote:

I'd add that if you can afford hydraulic disc brakes with whatever bike you choose, that makes a massive difference. I upgraded my 2015 CDF 20 to the 105 hydro groupset and the difference is night and day compared to the old HYRDs.

Yeah have to say that whilst the HYRDs have been better than the purely mechanicals on my previous CdF, they still don't come close the the hydraulics on my MTB.  That the biggie thats swaying me from like for like CdF 20.  A lot of the bikes that have been suggested have 105 or ultegra hydro.

MoutonDeMontagne | 6 years ago
1 like

Depending on if they still have your size, a 2015 Charge Plug 5 frame off Ebay (£159) and a Condor Bivio Carbon Fork (£150). Should leave you quite a bit of your £2k budget to really max out the spec you want. The frame is great, and similar in many ways to the CdF, but is Tange prestige rather than Renynolds. Used mine for commuting and some off road (thrashing around the woods and some fire roads), but have now lightened up the wheels for winter road use. Can be used with a rack although I've not tried it. 

Tyre wise, I had 40mm G-ones on it which fitted at a squeeze, but its much happier with 35mm on the rear. 

nplusone replied to MoutonDeMontagne | 6 years ago
0 likes

MoutonDeMontagne wrote:

Depending on if they still have your size, a 2015 Charge Plug 5 frame off Ebay (£159) and a Condor Bivio Carbon Fork (£150). Should leave you quite a bit of your £2k budget to really max out the spec you want. The frame is great, and similar in many ways to the CdF, but is Tange prestige rather than Renynolds. Used mine for commuting and some off road (thrashing around the woods and some fire roads), but have now lightened up the wheels for winter road use. Can be used with a rack although I've not tried it. 

Tyre wise, I had 40mm G-ones on it which fitted at a squeeze, but its much happier with 35mm on the rear. 

Ooh that sounds fun. But given my level of procrastination, Brexit would happen before I decided on all the bits - bad enough with one decision to make. That said, Hunt 4-season wheels and 105 hydro groupset would be a good start surely.

MoutonDeMontagne replied to nplusone | 6 years ago
1 like

nplusone wrote:

MoutonDeMontagne wrote:

Ooh that sounds fun. But given my level of procrastination, Brexit would happen before I decided on all the bits - bad enough with one decision to make. That said, Hunt 4-season wheels and 105 hydro groupset would be a good start surely.

Pretty much how mine is set up now. Hunt 4-season Wheels and a Sram Rival HDR groupset. Don't know exactly what it weighs but can get the scales out if you're interested. Theres also a whole Singletrackworld thread devoted to it: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-charge-plug-5-frames-on-ebay

The frame: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARGE-PLUG-5-CYCLOCROSS-COMMUTER-BIKE-BICYCLE... Although only xs and S left. They do come up big though (i.e. my 56 fits more  like a 58)

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

A firm vote for a Fairlight Strael over here.. I have similar requirements to you and came very close to getting one recently, space for 32mm's and excellent vfm imo.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Fairlight - the designer is ex-Genesis. Either of their two bikes will do the job and the Strael was pedalled to a win on the TCR by James Hayden this year. I've got a Faran, lovely tourer with huge clearance for racks and guards and will also run 650B wheels.

Bit more bespoke than the Genesis bikes - proportional geometry and assembled in small batches in Eastern Europe. Dom will work out with you which size you need based on a bike fit.

Faran in Tiagra build is £1399 I think.

nplusone replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Have a look at Fairlight - the designer is ex-Genesis. Either of their two bikes will do the job and the Strael was pedalled to a win on the TCR by James Hayden this year. I've got a Faran, lovely tourer with huge clearance for racks and guards and will also run 650B wheels.

Bit more bespoke than the Genesis bikes - proportional geometry and assembled in small batches in Eastern Europe. Dom will work out with you which size you need based on a bike fit.

Thanks that's really helpful, they look nice bikes and more affordable than the likes of Mason. Watching their video about proportional geometry has got me thinking about why my seat post was always up so high but I always felt stretched out, despite the CdF allegedly having one of the shorter top tubes out there. Maybe I have long legs and short torso!

kil0ran replied to nplusone | 6 years ago
1 like

nplusone wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

Thanks that's really helpful, they look nice bikes and more affordable than the likes of Mason. Watching their video about proportional geometry has got me thinking about why my seat post was always up so high but I always felt stretched out, despite the CdF allegedly having one of the shorter top tubes out there. Maybe I have long legs and short torso!

I was surprised by the sizing they suggested for me. Narrower bars and one size down from usual but now I'm finally dialled in the bike is very comfy. Its also completely and utterly silent, even with full guards fitted, and is perfectly suited to hammering along gravel tracks and what passes for tarmac in my neck of the woods.

A neighbour has a Condor and it is indeed a thing of beauty, but slightly less adaptable than my Faran.

My experience with Fairlight is that they offer a semi-custom service - Dom is incredibly helpful and enthusiastic and you get the feeling they want to make sure you get the right bike for you, not just a question of shifting boxes.

Goldfever4 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Condor. I've been ogling my colleague's since he bought one 3 months after I got my CDF 20. Sorry yours got stolen  2

nplusone replied to Goldfever4 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Goldfever4 wrote:

Have a look at Condor. I've been ogling my colleague's since he bought one 3 months after I got my CDF 20. Sorry yours got stolen  2

Thanks - I've been ogling a Condor Fratello in my LBS even before my CdF got stolen, but worried about tyre clearance plus its not disc. Not ruled it out as part of a cheap Day One/Fratello " two replaces one" strategy. Think that'll be what I eventually replace my current (first) road bike with.

What did your colleague get and what's he using it for?

Goldfever4 replied to nplusone | 6 years ago
1 like

nplusone wrote:

Goldfever4 wrote:

Thanks - I've been ogling a Condor Fratello in my LBS even before my CdF got stolen, but worried about tyre clearance plus its not disc. Not ruled it out as part of a cheap Day One/Fratello " two replaces one" strategy. Think that'll be what I eventually replace my current (first) road bike with.

What did your colleague get and what's he using it for?

He has the Fratello. Uses it for commuting with mudguards and panniers and goes around South Wales sometimes with his dad. He's annoyingly happy with it.

On one hand, they actually do have a disc fratello frameset which is the one he has. On the other hand, the Fairlight Strael is my ideal bike at the moment so I'd buy that if I could. I figured it would be too much more expensive than the CDF so that's the only reason I didn't suggest it before.

nplusone | 6 years ago
2 likes

PS if the nobber that nicked it and put it on gumtree is reading this, this is not me admitting defeat. I know where you live and you are being watched!

Latest Comments