Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

I bought a pro team cycling jersey...

... and matching shorts. It is from a new, up and coming team who have just competed in their first grand tour. The design is quite simple with some lucky symbols on it. No one on the team has been busted for drug use (yet, as far as I know.) I often hear people on these forums saying that team jerseys need to be 'earned'. Well I sat at my job for 35 hours a week and talked to people, some of which weren't very intelligent; and one of which threatened to stab me in the neck because he had spent all his money. I then went to their website and bought the kit with the money I had earned; anyone can do it apparently. I imagine my money will go to help support the team next season. Do you think this is a righteous transaction, or would you scorn me for my sartorial choices?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought the pink giro jersey last year. Looked really nice and was on sale for 30 quid great top. Also drivers seem to give me more room when I’m wearing it. 

Wear what you want. Bugger everyone else. 

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

That is awesome, good for you! you did a good job I think that is an awesome thing to do.  It is difinitely a righteous transaction. 

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Buy it at your own consent, it is your money and spend it the way you value your hardwork at your job. Lucky charm don't bring luck, if you believe that you will be lucky then you will be. Back to the topic, I highly reccommend that you support the team with team players that did not try to tread each other/other teams because through that you know that the team your supporting have sportmanship. It is not just admirable but also set as good example to the aspiring young people.

Bob F | 6 years ago
1 like

Leviathon wrote:  "......for 35 hours a week and talked to people, some of which weren't very intelligent; and one of which threatened to stab me in the neck because he had spent all his money. I then went to their website and bought the kit with the money I had earned....."

Well I hope it lowered the stabbing threat!  I was certain Aqua Blue were more civilised that that. smiley

Apologies, enjoy the kit!

Leviathan replied to Bob F | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bob F wrote:

Leviathon wrote:  "......for 35 hours a week and talked to people, some of which weren't very intelligent; and one of which threatened to stab me in the neck because he had spent all his money. I then went to their website and bought the kit with the money I had earned....."

Well I hope it lowered the stabbing threat!  I was certain Aqua Blue were more civilised that that. smiley

Apologies, enjoy the kit!

Um, what? The collective pronoun is clearly not referring to a bunch of random customers, but the team.

peted76 | 6 years ago
3 likes

I admire the cycling club kits from the continent.. full of logo's, often ridiculous colours, all quite 1980's and never afraid to emblazon the local carpet shop's rubbish logo across the chest, shoulders, back, arms wherever there's space.. there's something a bit nostalgic about it.. club has a rubbish kit, don't care, better than that clubs, wear with pride. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

I did the Rourke Ride a couple of weeks ago wearing Wiggins team jersey - it was mostly a friendly ride but the most obnoxious for not talking were those wearing their own pretentious club kit.

They also thought it was funny to pretend to think I was Brad,oh the joys, it appears Mr Trek, Mr Pinarello, the Greek God Nike and all his comrades didn't find it so funny when I asked about all their named kit...

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

Aquablue, yes points for that man. Crispy white with the golden shamrock and something of the Veluminati about it. This is the first team jersey I have bought since the Leopard Trek of 2010 (Andy not Frank*) it was Craft and is still high quality. Radioshack Leopard Trek was 2011 when you know who had left the scene.

*It is worse with the Yates twins, I can't remember which one is supposed to be the 'evil' one. I can't condone doping, but some of the hyperbole on this site regarding unproven jiffy bags and suspicions is ridiculous; but proven dopers (especially dead ones) get a pass for being 'characters.' It's just silly.

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you like it, buy it and wear it. Just don't judge what others wear.

I was given a Trek pro team jersey, by the wife of one of their mechanics. I think it was used, dunno, it's large but it's tight on me, those pros must be so skinny.

Anyway, it's nice, good bit of kit, but I wouldn't pay retail price for it. Would prefer if it didn't have logos etc on it.

I was also given two unwanted pairs of new pro team style bibshorts from the wife of a guy who runs a cycle holiday company in Spain. Not entirely sure about the padding, they fit and work, would prefer less logos but who cares, right tool for the job.

HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
1 like

I think 'earning the jersey' is more to do with rainbow/yellow TdF jerseys etc. First time I've heard people say that about a trade jersey.

Personally I wouldn't wear one, I've yet to see a design I like and paying for the privelege to advertise a company would make me feel a bit like this guy (but without the wages);

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

LOL yep that's the one.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

Hi viz apocalypse..lol...  if only that was ironic..

Wear what you want mate, is it the Aquablue kit? I think that's the best looking kit on the world stage,  I'm a  fan of Connor Dunne since watchnig him win the Rutland-Melton Classic the other year.

I still wear my Radioshak Lepoard Trek jersey now and again becasuse 1) it's comfy and 2) I don't have that much choice in the wardrobe. Although 'the joke is years old' now, I still get called 'Fabian Cancellera' when I rock up wearing it  1

I do wonder who buys and wears the 'tdf' yellow jerseys each year though.. I've never seen anyone wearing one....

zombiejack replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

I still wear my Radioshak Lepoard Trek jersey now and again becasuse 1) it's comfy and 2) I don't have that much choice in the wardrobe. Although 'the joke is years old' now, I still get called 'Fabian Cancellera' when I rock up wearing it  1

Is that the Craft one? This is the only team jersey I own, and it is by far the comfiest and best fitting jersey I own. Unfortunately the newer Craft stuff isn't the same and seems to be made in China.

My jersey is sartorially extra-controversial as it has the Schleck Luxembourg championship stripes.

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
12 likes

Even the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have to wear hi-viz and riding helmets these days, and do a risk assessment before going out for a day’s smiting, yea, even unto the gentle canter. 

Grahamd replied to ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
6 likes

ConcordeCX wrote:

Even the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have to wear hi-viz and riding helmets these days, and do a risk assessment before going out for a day’s smiting, yea, even unto the gentle canter. 

That sounds like something Terry Pratchett could have worked into a great story.

Simontuck | 6 years ago
4 likes

It's not a bad kit I suppose. Footballers do it. I just can't be wearing anything other than black tbh. I don't want anyone to see me delivering Milk Tray

Leviathan replied to Simontuck | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simontuck wrote:

It's not a bad kit I suppose. Footballers do it. I just can't be wearing anything other than black tbh. I don't want anyone to see me delivering Milk Tray

Well, black is slimming, especially if you like Milk Tray. However, all choice will be abolished under the coming Hi-Viz apocalypse.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
5 likes

Cycling is about enjoying yourself and not caring about other people's opinions. As long you enjoy wearing it, then good for you.

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
7 likes

Good on you, buy and use whatever you want if it makes cycling more enjoyable.  We fight enough numpties in all other walks of life not to have to worry about what other self absorbed cyclists think and choose to critisise other cyclists over.  If you can afford it and enjoy it, go for it.

I did meet someone at a youth hostel once who wore a world championship jersey as pyjamas which i did think was a bit odd though.

Latest Comments