Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone bought an Alain Prost cycling watch?

Just seen this startling new watch design: http://richardmille.com/watch/rm-70-01/

It's been designed for cyclists, apparently, but I have no idea what kind of cyclist (apart from a stupidly rich one).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

The only good thing about the timepiece is...

At least there are only 30 twunts that will/can buy them...

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

I just read some of accompanying text. It was like pseuds corner or something. 

PRSboy | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd struggle to read that, the hands are invisible vs the fussy detailing of the face.  And who'd want a mechanical mileometer, when you have GPS... think of the additional weight!

I've seen Cavendish wearing his, odd they didn't use that association really, rather than an old racing driver who cycles a bit.

I suspect we are missing the point though, as RM is all about the motorsport association, where money flows more freely than with the average cyclist.

Though that said, I'm surprised no other manufacturers have cottoned on to making a pricier cycling watch for the more money'd MAMILs

antonio replied to PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

I'd struggle to read that, the hands are invisible vs the fussy detailing of the face.  And who'd want a mechanical mileometer, when you have GPS... think of the additional weight!

I've seen Cavendish wearing his, odd they didn't use that association really, rather than an old racing driver who cycles a bit.

I suspect we are missing the point though, as RM is all about the motorsport association, where money flows more freely than with the average cyclist.

Though that said, I'm surprised no other manufacturers have cottoned on to making a pricier cycling watch for the more money'd MAMILs

MAMILSWATCH! Brilliant!

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

To coin a phrase, that fell off the ugly wheel and hit every spoke on the way through. As well as looking like it was designed by a 3 year old with a set of crayons, much of teh blurb that comes with it sounds like it was penned by said child with a particularly ill-trained set of crayons. What a load of tripe!

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm loving the innovation and the engineering, but hating the watch, the price and the clientele it's aimed at. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
3 likes

I should have gone with epitomises (And changed the sentence somewhat) but had that word in my head as the right one to say what I meant. I love learning/updating so it's all good.

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Well I think stuff like that is brilliant.  It's always good to discover expensive stuff that I wouldn't have/wear even if I was paid to.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Why would you want that when you can get any Mvmt watch for £150 

https://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/all-mens-watches

Although if money was no object I might fancy the obscenely overcomplicated Devon Tread:

https://www.devonworks.com/product-page/tread-1-a

Only $18,450.00

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
1 like

It appears to have a swastika carved into the crown. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Wearing a chavvy watch like that is the antithesis of look at me I'm a cunt with more money than sense.

mike the bike replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
3 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Wearing a chavvy watch like that is the antithesis of look at me I'm a cunt with more money than sense.

Antithesis?  Is that really what you meant?

BehindTheBikesheds replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
1 like

mike the bike wrote:

senior moment, somehow had in my head it meant the pinnacle of but it's clearly the polar opposite of (anti and all that), my badyes

ConcordeCX replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
2 likes

mike the bike wrote:

senior moment, somehow had in my head it meant the pinnacle of but it's clearly the polar opposite of (anti and all that), my badyes

perhaps you were thinking of apotheosis.

davel | 6 years ago
2 likes

But I'm still looking forward to reading Kadinkski's butler's review of it  1

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

Gopping!

pjm60 | 6 years ago
0 likes

"DOES THE ‘CYCLING’ WATCH THAT RICHARD MILLE HAS DEDICATED TO YOU INTEGRATE THIS CONCEPT OF PERFORMANCE?

First, I have to point out that Richard is the one who had the idea for this watch. He initiated all of this. He suggested to me the possibility of making a watch together, since he’s also passionate about cycling." http://richardmille.com/watch/rm-70-01/

What? Wasn't my idea!

Not exactly a glowing review from the man himself.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

$815,500 and it's only for left-handed people: https://newatlas.com/richard-mille-rm-70-01-watch/51758/

davel | 6 years ago
7 likes

I'm happy (and a tad smug) when I see stuff that I can't afford that looks like it's been designed by a four year-old with three crayons and a pissed-up R2D2. As long as they keep peddling shit like this to fat sheikhs and oligarchs, I can keep buying stuff that looks good for medium money.

As soon as billionaires get any taste, I'll dig out my shellsuits.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's got a mechanical mileage odometer.

Here's a little bit more info about it: http://www.watch-insider.com/news/richard-mille-rm-70-01-tourbillon-alain-prost/

Apparently, you get a free custom Colnago with it!

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

When I think of iconic cyclists, I always think of Alain Prost.

Similarly, when I think of Alain Prost, I think about how much of an iconic cyclist he is/was.

Wayne Rooney cycling watch next?

Latest Comments