Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fractured hip recovery

Any advice on cycling specific recovery techniques, timescales etcetera.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

I had a very long recovery from both hips reconstruction 5 years ago. 15 months to full mobility and strength, But I was back to riding 100miles + in about 6 months because in general cycling is great recovery (no impact, goood range ofmotion) for hip injuries. Worth seeing a sports specific physio as my general physios had no idea. The surgeion wasn't much help on recovery either. I got on to a really good sports physio and my surgeon was super happy with my recovery. Stretching and mobility exercises are really really important during your down time to help reduce / prevent muscular imabalance isues

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

I had a correction of a femoro acetabular impingement, which involves removal of bone around the neck of the femur by microfracturing it off. I was on a bike within ten days. I did 50 miles three weeks later, but that was totally overdoing things (was warned I could've broken the hip). The most difficult was the leaning-forward road bike position - a more upright bike would've been better - as it put pressure on the arthroscopic insertion scars. 

However, most hip replacement patients are stuck on a stationary cycle within days of the op - exercise improves circulation which is crucial for that area to heal as it's known for poor circulation. Did they mention cycling at all? Do you have a turbo you can sit on to see how comfy it is?

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
1 like

I broke my back and pelvis (cars are hard, cyclists are not) and was off my legs for 3 months before I could even put my leg on the ground.  It took 18 months for me to get my strength back, my advice is ride when you can, enjoy being back on the bike and dont rush things, everyones recovery will be different.   Just enjoy being able to ride again when you can and all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

ianking | 6 years ago
1 like

It's the standard NOF fracture, fixed with DHS (screw and plate) I just have the usual exercise notes you get when you get a hip fracture or replacement. I was wondering if there were any cycling specific ones or advice on speedy recuperwtion.  I was doing about 150 to 200 miles a week until now.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

Where is it fractured? Are you having physio? Have you had any advice from the doctor fraternity?

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

I was riding this year with a chap who had a fractured hip. He took 3 months to get back on his bike(turbo) to start with. He built it back up and within 6 months was back to normal cycling. He also took up Pilates/yoga to help with mobility, strength with balance. This all depends on how serious your own fracture is.

Latest Comments