Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib Tights For under -15C

Hi, I've been searching through a lot of forums and had no luck so I thought I'd make my own thread, most other topics seem to stop around -5C.

I live in Seoul and the winters here are brutal. I commute everyday, from -20C up to 40C and have survived for the last two winters in a pair of Sports Direct Fox bibs that my mum bought me that are woefully inadequate. I did the first year in a pair of summer gloves too, my motivation to ride was apparently enough for me to freeze half to death (Gloves are now covered).

Now is the time for some proper winter bibs, but most seem to be rated around -1C, do you any of you have recommendations for bibs that will keep me warm from -10C/-20C. Waterproof isn't important, just warm. My budget is around $80/$120.

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Tatoufmétouf | 6 years ago
0 likes

We have the same cold factor over here in Canada & for winter cycling i only use my fatbike to get some fresh air for those long months! Like mentioned just above to save money and spend it on things more important i purchased a used 1 piece syntethic flapjack long johns(No bullet hole i swear!) and i simply wear my mountainbike shorts overtop, feet need to stay dry & warm so i have some clipless boot's and multiple long sleeve shirts under my rain jacket to keep my body warm!

Must stay far away from coton anything as when it gets wet it will remain wet for hours & hours until you die frozen to death! For hands i ride bear hand under my "ATV, skidoo, muffs" witch fits amazingly on bicycles flat bars!(Not so shure on road bike curve bars tho!)

http://www.quosig.com/zuma/photos/packs/Mitts_back_001220.JPG

Also have a snowboard helmet with protected ear flaps to protec them and keep my head warm same time! 

https://cdn.levelninesports.com/media/extendware/ewimageopt/media/templa...

notfastenough | 6 years ago
0 likes

-15?! I think my kit at that point consists of just a duvet.

Seriously though, try your local military surplus store (if that’s even a thing in SK) for long johns. Pair with other layers.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden some pretty cold stuff and used to wear some Decathlon longs with Ron Hill running leggings over the lop. Layers are probably the way forward.

I hate the cold and will happily wear longs or 3/4 bibs and arm warmers in the UK in the summer unless it gets proper warm, ha ha!

TrevA | 6 years ago
0 likes

When it's really cold here in the UK, I wear a pair of 3/4 thermal bibs, under my normal bib tights. This helps keep you knees warm. I also wear hiking socks to keep my feet warm.

The 3/4s are Endura Thermolite, the full bibs are Gore.

Paul7189 | 6 years ago
1 like

On the topic of sallopetes I have some high altitude ones from a company called Buffalo in the uk and wore them in -40C weather with a thermal base layer and they were perfect. They are made of a material called pertex and are very high wicking. They are bulky but I have never tried anything that comes close on comfort and warmth for the size and price. 

majormajormajormajor | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I'm still going to get some decent bibs, but I think the longjohn/standard tights underneath option is the route I'll go. I found some Gore bibs for a good price so I think I'm going to get them.

drjohn | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes, layer up! If conditions are baltic I wear an old (lycra failed, gone a bit baggy) pair of unpadded tights over thermal bibtights.  If that's not warm enough when moving, you are probably at risk of frostbite anyway!

Some tights have a membrane to keep the wind chill off while you are moving. These are engineered garments. I had some cheapish Decathlon ones like this that, frankly, were not great. The membrane material was just too thick, and it ruined the fit around the hips.

In my experience Galibier are good value for the quality, so I trust them. I haven't tried their mistral bib tights myself but they fit your budget, and Galibier ship worldwide.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
1 like

Rather than ski kit you can get cycling specific trousers like Showerspass, combined with normal fleecy tights underneath.

gunswick | 6 years ago
1 like

http://www.icebike.org/ice-biking-how-to-do-winter-cycling-in-ice-and-snow/

They that website for ideas, they are Canada based I think so similar temps.

I have used DHB winter extreme tights (like a wetsuit) with unpadded shorts underneath, merino base layer and Gabba jacket in -8c and it was OK. I think the salopettes may work. It depends on how much snow etc, in the UK we just don't get extreme enough for that. I think that think bib tights with a merino tights/long-johns underneath would work too.

They also suggest snow boots / hiking boots rather than cycling shoes etc.

macrophotofly | 6 years ago
4 likes

I think at that temperature, close-fitting  aerodynamic  bibs have to play second fiddle to multiple layers. Remember it is always warmer to wear more thinner layers than a single fat layer. Hence thermal underlayer ("long johns" - https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/men/innerwear-loungewear/heattech/long-johns   ) with  riding trousers (providing they have wind-proofing) Or as Rod says above, wear your bibs with saloppettes over the top

Rod Marton | 6 years ago
3 likes

Salopettes.

Quite seriously, I know some cyclists in Russia and they use skiwear in winter. Those that go out anyway, most give up and wait for the spring.

Latest Comments