Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which thread lock?

Mostly to secure limit screws. 

Any of the cheap ones any good, or should I just go straight for one of the Loctites? If so, which one?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

froze | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just get the Blue Loctite 242 in a small .2 ounce tube that will cost about 6 to 7 dollars, anything else will cost you almost the same and won't work as well.

You could try using a small piece of 2 pound test monofilament fishing line, simply put it into the hole than screw the bolt in, works kind of like those nylon lockwashers you see.  

Don't use nail polish though, the chemicals in polish can eat at soft metals.

I haven't tried this because I never have it around the house, but I've heard that Karo corn syrup works, just apply a small dab and insert screw, once it dries it becomes tacky and will hold stuff like bicycle related parts.

Try the cheap alternatives first, if one works then you don't need to get the Loctite.

mike the bike | 6 years ago
3 likes

I find rust is an excellent thread locker and it's free.  At least initially.

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Medium strength works fine. The Loctite equivalent is 243 (blue); there are similar variants. The key requirement is that the fastener should be able to break free with hand tools.

I think you may want the high-strength stuff for places like press-fit bottom brackets.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Blue paste version does for 99% of jobs

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

I got mine from toolstation, £2.63.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Plumbing+Consumables/sd271...

Works for me.

dottigirl replied to drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

I got mine from toolstation, £2.63. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Plumbing+Consumables/sd271... Works for me.

Very useful, worth trying.

I need a new file for my brake pads, so I can pick one of them up at the same time.

Latest Comments