Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter tubeless tyres?

I'm currently running a pair of Schwalbe Pro-Ones and find them a bit slippery on wet roads (and they're not new, so I have run them in).

With winter around the corner, I'm looking to get some 28mm tubeless tyres that are more confidence inspiring. Any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

Miller replied to Aminthule | 6 years ago
0 likes

Aminthule wrote:

I've just bought a set of Hutchinson Sector 28 tyres to run tube less and asked my local bike shop to fit them for me. The first tyre has gone on fine and snapped straight into the rim bead, however it will not maintain pressure and when tested with soapy water the mechanics have found that the tyre is leaking heavily from the side wall, especially along what appears to be the join between the side wall and the siped tread part of the tyre. The tyre has lost around 50% of the initial 80psi in around 6 hours, so pretty impractical. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?no

Assuming they're full of sealant - they are, aren't they? - try pumping them back up to pressure again. Tubeless sometimes needs a few days to settle down. Btw 80psi is a bit high for 28mm tubeless in my opinion, they'll be fine at 50-70psi.

You'd do well to get to grips with fitting tubeless yourself. It's not difficult, just different to what you might be used to. Generally I can get tubeless to seat with just a track pump so you don't necessarily have to invest in fancy chargers or whatever.

Spangly Shiny replied to Miller | 6 years ago
0 likes

Miller wrote:

Aminthule wrote:

I've just bought a set of Hutchinson Sector 28 tyres to run tube less and asked my local bike shop to fit them for me. The first tyre has gone on fine and snapped straight into the rim bead, however it will not maintain pressure and when tested with soapy water the mechanics have found that the tyre is leaking heavily from the side wall, especially along what appears to be the join between the side wall and the siped tread part of the tyre. The tyre has lost around 50% of the initial 80psi in around 6 hours, so pretty impractical. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?no

Assuming they're full of sealant - they are, aren't they? - try pumping them back up to pressure again. Tubeless sometimes needs a few days to settle down. Btw 80psi is a bit high for 28mm tubeless in my opinion, they'll be fine at 50-70psi.

You'd do well to get to grips with fitting tubeless yourself. It's not difficult, just different to what you might be used to. Generally I can get tubeless to seat with just a track pump so you don't necessarily have to invest in fancy chargers or whatever.

Also ensure that you inflate them initially to the upper limit of the tyre to make sure they seat properly, then reduce the pressure for comfort. On 28's I would be trying 50PSI on the front and 65PSI on the back on a combined rider/bike weight of 91kg.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've just had a hell of a time getting the IRCs 28mm to seal on my back wheel (I'd bought them over a month ago, but have been waiting for my Schwalbes to wear out).

I tried a few tricks - seat one bead by fitting an inner tube, inflating and removing it. I was trying to get it to seat with a track pump and also a Beto tubeless canister and had no luck at all. I then thought I'd try a Milkit valve/tubeless kit to see if that made a difference and fitted it this morning.

A few hours later and still no luck at all.

Then, I thought I'd supplement the rim sealing tape (original tape supplied on the wheels) with some Gorilla tape (you can rip it to the desired width). Fitted that and re-fitted the Milkit valve. Then, I just tried the track pump and watched in disbelief as the tyre seated itself without even any sealant being added.

So, the moral of the story is to check your rim tape.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've put 32mm Sectors on my bike and very pleased with them. See wiggle has them back in stock. They went on easy and have stayed up.
Good grip on last couple of club runs.

staffo replied to Aminthule | 6 years ago
0 likes

Aminthule wrote:

I had a similar problem with my Sector 28 rear tyre though not quite so bad. It was losing around 20 psi a day. After a month it stopped, I guess the sealant took a while to fully seal the tyre.

I would ride it for a couple of hours, pump it back up to 80 psi and see how much pressure you lose over the next few hours or the next morning. 

Pages

Latest Comments