Home

So far I've bought lights for 4 bikes, full finger gloves and carbon handlebars all branded Planet X. All have been utter crap, a complete waste of money.

The lights lasted less than 2 months, the gloves arrived in pieces and bars snapped clean through after 8 months (pretty flipping dangerous).

Have I been unlucky or is it all rubbish? I nearly bought one of their bikes, glad I didn't. And isn't it a bit wierd that they don't allow reviews of anything except their very best bike?

53 comments

Morgoth985 [123 posts] 9 months ago
7 likes

I think you've answered your own question.  Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time is enemy action.

Bikebikebike [387 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

My pro-viz style jacket from there is OK. And it was cheap. 

bob_c [57 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

It depends. If you make sure you're buying products that are on offer in one of the perennial sales then you can get some good bargains. I haven't bought a bike from there though so can't comment on them.

Stuff that I have bought that is excellent:
On one bib shorts £18
Merino baselayer with coolmax back £13
USB rechargeable flashing lights with 50h battery £5
Hi vis Roubaix arm warmers £5
Merino socks £3
105 chainset and brakes - cheaper than anywhere else

Stuff that's rubbish:
Phone waterproof case that split £2
Zefal bottle £2

I've put the prices to show that as long as you buy at the right time it won't break the bank if it turns out to be rubbish.

Flying Scot [1005 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

Some of the stuff is OK, some is just cheap sh1te, but priced as such.

I have their lights on the kids nbikes and they're good, but maybe not good enough for a wet daily commute.

Had 2 frames from them as well that needed touched up as they were just rattling about in a box, but were....cheap.

Dr_Lex [470 posts] 9 months ago
1 like
bob_c wrote:

It depends. If you make sure you're buying products that are on offer in one of the perennial sales then you can get some good bargains. I haven't bought a bike from there though so can't comment on them. 

[…]

Yup; similar to my experiences. I have a S/H Pompetamine which has been fine, and 3 out of 4 of the cheap Smart knock-offs are still going after 4 years. Think you’ve been unlucky for all items to fail so quickly.

Grahamd [955 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

Friend has a bike he is very happy with, and so he should given that whole bike cost barely more than the Shimano Dura Ace it is fitted with.

srchar [856 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

The Sports Direct of cycling e-tailers. Product quality is very hit and miss. Like Ribble, they don't really do customer service either, so if you want to return something or exchange it, prepare for weeks of emails and phone calls before they get their arses in gear.

drosco [428 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

I've got gloves that have been excellent and their lights were good until a mount broke. As for the bikes, my mate is really pleased with his pro carbon.

drjohn [52 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

My Uncle John CX frameset has served me well. Ditto the stem, seatpost and saddle. They do plenty of rebranded quality Taiwanese goods. 

The clothing and other generic own brand stuff is a lottery so I would hold fire until the positive reviews come in. Otherwise you might as well get stuff from DealExtreme or Ali Express! My Phaart rear lights are good (rebadged Smart lights), and so is a small pump I carry, and I got some embossed gel bar tape which is excellent. But I bulk bought some PX brand inner tubes with a mate and we both had similar experiences with them, total shite, and some skully lights failed within weeks. However, they do take refunds and they are a treasure trove for vintage parts and bargains, especially the finishing kit. 

SO I ask myself 3 questions before I buy their stuff - 1) does it seem "cheap for a good reason" 2) what's the worst that can happen 3) and can I send it back?

number9dream [51 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

I bought a cx bike for communting from them via cyclescheme, mostly shimano 105. Once i rebuilt it out of the box to align the brakes and set up the gears properly it's been perfect. Frame is fairly lightweight, robust and definetly worth the money.

CXR94Di2 [2110 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Got my lad a cheap racer, slight adjustment to indexing and he cycled to Paris with it. Bargain and good intro to road riding

Ad Hynkel [175 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Phaser Dark Star aluminium front light, has been reliable but beam pattern is more torch than bike light! Slightly annoying metal contact for the batteries that moves if you don't hold it in place from other side when put batteries in, but it was very cheap.
Rear light that came with it kept switching off whenever I hit a decent bump in road, tracked down to dodgy contact, took a bit of fettling. Been reliable since, and pretty bright.
Merino socks were good until wore through, a bit too quickly. But they were quite cheap.
On-One SS top has been spot on. Had it quite a few years and has yet to fray anywhere or lose any stitching. Was less than a tenner.
Neoprene overshoes are a classic, if you like ugly but functional! They do work and keep your feet toasty, barring downpours.
Merino arm warmers are proving a bit tricky to prevent shrinkage...
A mixed bag really, but there is nothing that I have felt the need to send back.

alansmurphy [1827 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Agree the on one bib shorts are great. Had some branded saddles with 80% off and generally bought stuff for a bargain that has usually over delivered for the price. No major components or electricals purchased though...

The Gavalier [96 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Had my road bike(Planet X RT58 alloy) for nearly 3 years now and it’s superb. Came setup perfectly and didn’t even need to touch the indexing until I changed the cables. Done over 10,000 miles and still look like new. 

Yorkshire wallet [2046 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

As has been mentioned, their lower range stuff is probably no better than Aliexpress stuff. I bought a bib and jersey set from China that's going strong after 2 years of 2-3 days use a week. Cost £17.

Some of the Planet X build it yourself deals this year have been tempting though. Carbon frame with Ultegra for £1000. Still kicking myself for not buying it. Waiting for a deal on a Full Monty as my commuting bike.

kil0ran [917 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Had a Dirty Disco built up with SRAM Force, cracking bike for the money. Would definitely get one of their carbon frames if I was in the market for a fast road n+1 to go alongside my tourer

schlepcycling [92 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Have a disc equipped London Road from them which I use as a winter bike, it's just about to go into it's 3rd winter and I've had no problems with it at all.

SingleSpeed [429 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

The Sports Direct of cycling e-tailers. Product quality is very hit and miss. Like Ribble, they don't really do customer service either, so if you want to return something or exchange it, prepare for weeks of emails and phone calls before they get their arses in gear.

Entirely the opposite for me...Bought a Holdsworth frame with a few chips on it...Emailed saying I don't want to send it back because chips and scratches are going to happen and I'm not a prima donna how about some credit?

Email came back £30 voucher!

So long as you are aware and handy enough to know that you might need to face your BB & Brake Mounts or shave a whisker off the dropout etc then you'll end up with a nice bike for not a great amount of money.

I don't buy socks anywhere else as in their daft sales you can get 3 pairs for £2!

I also like doing very silly things like covering a £140 SS Inbred in full ENVE finishing kit and King/Valor wheels makes the 'Rule' people sneer.

Simboid [142 posts] 9 months ago
1 like
SingleSpeed wrote:

Blimey, you're easily pleased! If they sent me frame that had been kicked around the warehouse I'd at least want half my money back or a replacement, not the chance to get even more cheap tat.

Canyon48 [988 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

PlanetX is great for stuff that you really need, but don't want to waste money on. I.e. socks, clamps, bolts etc.

I also got a VERY good deal on an FSA carbon seatpost (1/2 price of the cheapest retailer), ended up selling it for more than I bought it for (after a couple years use!).

Would I buy a carbon bike from planetx with Ultegra because they are fantastic value? No, not as my pride and joy anyway.​

Goldfever4 [403 posts] 9 months ago
1 like
Simboid wrote:
SingleSpeed wrote:

Blimey, you're easily pleased! If they sent me frame that had been kicked around the warehouse I'd at least want half my money back or a replacement, not the chance to get even more cheap tat.

Well that's confirmed I'm never using Planet X... completely agree if I had that problem and they came back with £30 I'd assume they were taking the piss!

3 likes
Simboid wrote:
SingleSpeed wrote:

Exactly...as I said I'm not a Prima Donna.

My bikes get ridden, and ridden hard. I've got worse chips and scratches on my Zero 7 and don't care about that, why I would get prissy about a £150 frame! Just a dab of humbrol over it and it's not an issue.

1 like

Ahh but if he set his stall out a bit early in the email "I'd rather not send it back" then as the retailer you may go in with a cheap offer. There was no suggestion they wouldn't have swapped it out if pushed. 

As for "kicked around the warehouse", are you sure that no bike has ever received a bump in transit?

1 like
SingleSpeed wrote:

Exactly...as I said I'm not a Prima Donna.

My bikes get ridden, and ridden hard. I've got worse chips and scratches on my Zero 7 and don't care about that, why I would get prissy about a £150 frame! Just a dab of humbrol over it and it's not an issue.

My bike doesn't spend all it's time being ogled and polished either, but let's not get into a d**k swinging contest about whose the most manly, hardcore rider. The scuffs and scratches on my kit and bike were done by me, each one tells a story and more importantly I know none of it is from abuse or neglect and none of it was bad enough for me to worry if it caused damage I can't see.

If you buy 'new' you should recieve 'new' or demand a second hand/shop soiled price. Does having to do up stuff you've bought before you even use it not bother you? It would bother me. I don't need to be treated like the most important customer in the world, far from it, but sending out tatty things that need fixing is taking the p**s out of you.

Plus you have no idea how any of that damage was done, it could be worse than it looks but you won't know until your frame snaps going down a hill at 40mph.

graybags [101 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

I've had my XLS bike for a little over a year now and I've completed a full season of cyclocross on it plus the 3 Peaks a fortnight ago, as someone commented earlier, the groupset alone ,SRAM Force cx1, retails for much the same price as I paid for the whole bike !. I also had a minor issue with the frame, which it transpired was caused by a wheel hub ceasing, result was a new frame and wheelset, all very efficiently sorted with minimum delay. Was also offered a deal on a discounted pair of carbon wheels for the inconvenience, but they were tubs only, and I couldn't justify it, guess with hindsight I should have taken them for the price and then just sold them on. Absolutely no complaints from me.

3 likes
Simboid wrote:

If you buy 'new' you should recieve 'new' or demand a second hand/shop soiled price.

I did, I got a sum I was quite happy to receive, by a really nice chap from Sheffield...I don't normally shop on the WWW apart from On-One/Planet-X who are obviously direct sales only. So the thought of packing it back up, having to drive to a post office, send it back and wait for a new frame causing a huge Carbon Footprint....just for some scratches which would have happened the first time I proped the bike up outside the pub is just simply, retarded.

Simboid wrote:

Does having to do up stuff you've bought before you even use it not bother you? It would bother me.

Of course it doesn't, and even on a few of my High end bikes you have to fettle them so they work right out of the box. It's like buying a new Mac and not stripping out the bullshit in the OS before using it. Plus as a matter of principle I'd never run anything stock, I once made a tensioner from two bits of Carbon Sheet and a drilled out a Dura Ace mech to make it lighter.

Simboid wrote:

I don't need to be treated like the most important customer in the world, far from it, but sending out tatty things that need fixing is taking the p**s out of you.

No it's not it's buying from Planet X...That's the equivalent  of sending a burger and chips back from Wetherspoons because you think it's not cooked right....Sure, you might get a new burger but everyone around you would be like what the fuck is this embarrasment of a human being doing.

I'm not going to get my Knickers in a twist over a couple of paint chips on a £150 frame...jesus I've got at least 7 seatposts worth more than that kicking round the Garage

Simboid wrote:

Plus you have no idea how any of that damage was done, it could be worse than it looks but you won't know until your frame snaps going down a hill at 40mph.

A few smal paint chips?... 

On a Steel Planet X Frame?...

A Planet X frame that is most likely construced from Chinese 4130 Scaffold?...

You only descend at 40mph?...

Srsly Snowflake

1 like
SingleSpeed wrote:
Simboid wrote:

If you buy 'new' you should recieve 'new' or demand a second hand/shop soiled price.

I did, I got a sum I was quite happy to receive, by a really nice chap from Sheffield...I don't normally shop on the WWW apart from On-One/Planet-X who are obviously direct sales only. So the thought of packing it back up, having to drive to a post office, send it back and wait for a new frame causing a huge Carbon Footprint....just for some scratches which would have happened the first time I proped the bike up outside the pub is just simply, retarded.

Simboid wrote:

Does having to do up stuff you've bought before you even use it not bother you? It would bother me.

Of course it doesn't, and even on a few of my High end bikes you have to fettle them so they work right out of the box. It's like buying a new Mac and not stripping out the bullshit in the OS before using it. Plus as a matter of principle I'd never run anything stock, I once made a tensioner from two bits of Carbon Sheet and a drilled out a Dura Ace mech to make it lighter.

Simboid wrote:

I don't need to be treated like the most important customer in the world, far from it, but sending out tatty things that need fixing is taking the p**s out of you.

No it's not it's buying from Planet X...That's the equivalent  of sending a burger and chips back from Wetherspoons because you think it's not cooked right....Sure, you might get a new burger but everyone around you would be like what the fuck is this embarrasment of a human being doing.

I'm not going to get my Knickers in a twist over a couple of paint chips on a £150 frame...jesus I've got at least 7 seatposts worth more than that kicking round the Garage

Simboid wrote:

A few smal paint chips?... 

On a Steel Planet X Frame?...

A Planet X frame that is most likely construced from Chinese 4130 Scaffold?...

You only descend at 40mph?...

Srsly Snowflake

Retarded? Snowflake?

Seriously mate, you're just rude! Want to see my 50mph+ descents on strava? My home made bikepacking kit? Pictures of ultra long distance, fast minimalist international tours?

Put your balls back in your pants and stop pretending it's manly to get shafted by cheapskates.

2 likes

Zwift off!

Yorkshire wallet [2046 posts] 9 months ago
7 likes

Saddlebags at dawn!

2 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Saddlebags at dawn!

Saddlebag? who do you take me for a weekend Cat 4 rider?

Inner tube and CO2 taped to your seatpost  1

Pages