Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Old chain and new cassette

Got my new wheels which I am very happy with and put a new cassette on them with the exact same range as the other 'old' back wheel. Made a bit of a racket and couldn't get the gears to index cleanly. Put the old cassette on the new wheel and bingo.
Trouble is I wanted to have my old back wheel for using my turbo trainer. But if I put the new cassette on with the old chain it won't seem to work smoothly.
So how do I or how have others got around this?
New chain and cassettes on all?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Plural as in original post - two back wheels, one for road and the other for the turbo. So wanted to be able to just swap without changing the chain each time.
That way I can keep my turbo back wheel with a decent tyre for the turbo and not wear out my decent road tyres.

RMurphy195 | 6 years ago
0 likes

For me, if the cassette needs replacing, so do the chains.

If the chains need replacing, so does the cassette.

It isn't just the indexing, but also the fact that the new and old parts don't fit, so there's a risk of the chain skipping on the cassette.

Why the plural? - I keep 2 chains on the go and rotate them when cleaning, so they both wear into the same cassette. If one chain fails irretrievably, then I have the other to keep going with. The whole lot seems to last longer that way!

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
0 likes

personally - if it's for a turbo trainer then there's no bother getting stranded 30 miles out - I would just use the old stuff to failure and then replace

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
0 likes

Oooooppppssss didn't read properly, I was obviously talking about cassettes!

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input - new chain it is but then I think I'll have to get a new cassette for the old wheel for the turbo as u don't want to have to mess about changing chains as well as wheels.
Ands it's only hundreds of miles on this chain but it is the original cassette.
Oh well on line retailer here I come..

Best 11sp chains anyone?

Or is that a can o worms?

ibr17xvii replied to Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Johnnyvee wrote:

Thanks for the input - new chain it is but then I think I'll have to get a new cassette for the old wheel for the turbo as u don't want to have to mess about changing chains as well as wheels. Ands it's only hundreds of miles on this chain but it is the original cassette. Oh well on line retailer here I come.. Best 11sp chains anyone? Or is that a can o worms?

Unless you're massively bothered about weight 105 cassette will be fine. Should be able to pick one up for about £30 online.

Probably just over £50 for an Ultegra.

Simon E replied to Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
1 like

Johnnyvee wrote:

Best 11sp chains anyone? Or is that a can o worms?

KMC X11-93 is as good as anything IMHO. Halfrauds are often price-matching Wiggle these days so you may want to check their prices too.

ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if it's the same for a trainer as it is on the outside, but if your cassette is too worn for a new chain to work, and you were to continue using the old chain, it will cause terrible things to the chainset and then things start to get proper expensive.

I think new chains and cassette.  Do you have a chain wear indicator?  Not perfect but you get more use out of the cassette, have to keep changing those chains though.

I'm going to rohloff my new bike, so I don't really need one now, but rohloff make a casette wear checker, wish I'd known that years ago.  Found it strange that a company that makes the casette redundant makes a device for checking them.

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
1 like

always change chain when you get a new cassette - they "wear-in" to each other - get a new chain for the new wheels and new cassette

you could use the old chain with the old cassette for the turbo - but you will probably get more life out of the old cassette if you get a new chain for that one too

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

Do they use the same spacers - could they be different distances from the hub?

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Depends how many miles on the chain, hundreds or thousands of miles? If the latter buy a new chain

Latest Comments