Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Valve Cap Lights

Hi folks, I'm looking for recommendations.. I've seen valve cap lights and they seem light a good idea to be a bit more visible on my commute.  There are a few on Amazon but it's not super clear if they fit presta valves and the reviews are generally a bit rubbish.  I'm not after the full on light show.. they look a bit cumbersome.. just a nice bright light to help me be seen.  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought some cheap-as-chips ones from China on eBay to go on the kids' bikes.  We've not ridden in the dark with them yet so I can't tell you how good they are but they did come with a black plastic screw-in adaptor to convert between Schrader and Presta and they fitted fine.

ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

Had some Tire Flys a while back, white ones first, then red white and blue, more trouble than they were worth really.  Drunk people loved them.

If you are determined, adaptors can be found so that scraeder caps can fit presta.  But that would add a lot of bulk.

Redvee replied to ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

If you are determined, adaptors can be found so that scraeder caps can fit presta.  But that would add a lot of bulk.

When alloy valve caps were all the rage I fiddled with them to go on my road bike with presta tubes and found with a bit of trimming, most presta caps simply pushed into the schreader alloy valve caps. Add some superglue and they won't fall off.

ClubSmed replied to Redvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Redvee wrote:

ktache wrote:

When alloy valve caps were all the rage I fiddled with them to go on my road bike with presta tubes and found with a bit of trimming, most presta caps simply pushed into the schreader alloy valve caps. Add some superglue and they won't fall off.

This!

When my Daughter wanted Lego valve caps on her bike they turned out to be for Schreader valves. With a little negotiation and super glue the Presta Valve caps fitted inside the Schreader Valve caps to produce a solution that is still on her bike over a year later.

rxpell | 6 years ago
0 likes

Any valve cap ones are going to be "a bit cumbersome" as they have an internal battery - I had some on an old MTB I was using to commute a few years ago - they were a couple of quid for a pair on ebay and fitted Schrader valves not Presta - they used button batteries - LR44 ? (in battery parlance think the first "4" stands for 4mm so that makes them pretty big - wider than Schrader let alone Presta).  Haven't seen or used them on Presta valves.  For a few quid, they do look good, increase your visibility and are a cheap and quick way to pimp your ride and they get you noticed.  Mine lasted most of a winter then one of them broke, the other got nicked ...

ConcordeCX replied to rxpell | 6 years ago
0 likes

rxpell wrote:

Any valve cap ones are going to be "a bit cumbersome" as they have an internal battery - I had some on an old MTB I was using to commute a few years ago - they were a couple of quid for a pair on ebay and fitted Schrader valves not Presta - they used button batteries - LR44 ? (in battery parlance think the first "4" stands for 4mm so that makes them pretty big - wider than Schrader let alone Presta).  Haven't seen or used them on Presta valves.  For a few quid, they do look good, increase your visibility and are a cheap and quick way to pimp your ride and they get you noticed.  Mine lasted most of a winter then one of them broke, the other got nicked ...

they should fit them with little wind turbines so they power themselves

Latest Comments