Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice Needed on buying used from ebay

Advice needed - 

I have the option of buying a used GT Grade Alloy 105 (2016)  from ebay for £475.

Spec is here - 

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-al-105-2016-adventure-road-bike/

Given the size is right and the bike is as described is this a good buy? I'd appreciate peoples thoughts/comments?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

melliott | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have that very bike (well, not the exact one on eBay, but...) and it's great. I've changed the bars, seat post, bar tape, and tyres (Schwalbe Ones). More than happy with the stock seat.

It's comfortable enough to do centuries, and capable of keeping up with quick groups. I also added mudguards and used it for commuting (although steady pace was somewhat difficult).

Downsides... It's not hugely stiff. I can feel it flex when I really push it. The stock wheels are a bit flexy too and I get a lot of brake rub when I stand up. I popped a few spokes on the rear because they weren't tensioned properly but the shop replaced with a nicer one. That said, I was 100kg when I first got it. 

I'm glad I got the Grade, but now my needs are slightly different so am planning to turn it in to a SRAM 1x and pop some 32 tyres on. I'm getting a new commuter in the next couple of months and a fast carbon bike. The Grade will be the fun thrasher.

Happy to answer any other questions

number9dream | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've bought three frames, a wheelset and a host of other bits and pieces from ebay - never had a problem. If something is not as described you can get your money back via ebay - they hugely favour the buyer in any disputes. Just make sure the item description matches what you need. 

BarryBianchi replied to number9dream | 6 years ago
0 likes

number9dream wrote:

If something is not as described you can get your money back via ebay - they hugely favour the buyer in any disputes.

Alas not true anymore. They are a right and utter pain in the saddle region to deal with these days, getting money back is a gamble and can take weeks.  E.G. I lost £30 as a seller just sent a totally fictional tracking number - totally made up, linked to nothing whatsoever, not even claiming it showed delivery anyway - eBlag claimed it showed the goods had been despatched, closed the casem money lost.  And they have done away with 'phone contact to make everything a nightmare.  Ebay - now a gamble.

RMurphy195 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Never, ever buy used goods sight unseen. Treat it as any other used buy, go and see it, and try it, at the vendors home.

With Ebay I was looking for a classic Triumph a few years back - and so many, when I got to see them, simply didn't look like the photos at all - photos were taken after the car was restored, for example, but this turned out to be several years before! Indeed on that I went to see had a sad tale - the owner had bought it from the photos on Ebay (it was a long way away) and ended up paying £4,000 to sort out the corrosion. (It still had too many mechanical issues for my liking).

You have to see the bike, check for drivetrain wear, rim wear, collision damage and all that sort of stuff. And of course the owners receipts.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

It's in a box on the way back to Wiggle at the moment -  purchased thru C2W and the overall package I wanted was better from Wiggle than Whinstanley. I went for the 55cm which I'd sat on and seemed fine, but when measured against the other 2 bikes was about a cm out in all areas, swapping for the 56cm. I'm a shade off 6 foot with 32/33 inside measurement if it helps.

Obviously haven't ridden it in anger but the specs are bang on; 105 groupset, good all round gearing (compact plus 11/32) and hydraulic discs. My summer bike is carbon and I had a Specialized Diverge winter bike, the Grade is between the 2 on weight which is bang on as I expected it to be nearer the Specialized. I've bought it as a decent wet bike and making the Diverge full winter / gravel with nobbly tyres.

The thing I will say which you cant see from the pictures, it isn't anything like the colours they say, they call it grey and it looks baby blue online. It's pretty much black but has an almost kitchen worksurface granite effect with sparkles in it (seriously) - I'm a tart so I love it.

If you drop me an email on my username plus at gmail dot com, I will happily send you a few photos and give a better write up on performance as the replacement arrives and goes out (hopefully Sat/Sun). 

mart85 replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

If you drop me an email on my username plus at gmail dot com, I will happily send you a few photos and give a better write up on performance as the replacement arrives and goes out (hopefully Sat/Sun). 

You sir are an absolute gent! I'll ping you an email now, thank you!

The colour on the internet is slightly off -putting! How shallow we are. 

I would value your feedback given that you've got a carbon roadie and had a diverge, would be really valuable to get your thoughts on the gearing/ride/speed/handling of the bike.

mart85 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, all appreciated feedback.

Never tried road cycling exchange, I'll take a look! Let me know how you get on this weekend?

Alansmurphy, I'd be really grateful if you could give me some detailed feedback/review your newly purchased Grade Alu 2017? Any piccies? Even if you start a new post I know me for one would be really interested to hear your experiences. 

I keep going back and forth between the boardman cx team and the Grade and i'm going slightly cuckoo. 

Team EPO | 6 years ago
1 like

Have you tried roadcycling exchange.  never used it but hoping to drop in this weekend

https://roadcycleexchange.com/

2 likes

Also, I appreciate not wanting to give the link away but the only ones I see on eBay are FB which are the Flat Bar rather than racing bar versions - just as an FYI

1 like

I know it's more but you can get the 2017 version brand new from Winstanley Bikes for £765 - possibly priced slightly high 2nd hand unless it is pristine! 

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
1 like

You have to be able to see it and ride it don't you? Can you write off nearly 500 notes if there is something wrong with it?

Latest Comments