Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Creaking hell

A creak down under is doing my nut in. BB is fine, pedals replaced, stem and seat post greased. It only appears in a very rhythmical grunt when going up hills (>4% +), stops when I free wheel and temporarily stops if I change up or down on the climb. 

Please help this frustrated man.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

Wilderbeest | 6 years ago
0 likes

Worth pointing out that I had to buy a second bike and swap out parts one at a time to work out what the problem was....

Wilderbeest | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had same problem...creaking when under pressure.

left hand crank. Splines creaked when going uphill.

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

There's only one way to eliminate this untraceable noise. N+1.

Big Jay | 6 years ago
2 likes

Hey thanks for all the  input everyone, so far I’ve greased the pedals, tightened crank bolts, cleaned and greased the thru axles and cleaned the chain thoroughly and changed the lube from dry wax to wet lube. Took it for a 25k, 600m elevated ride and it was slick. I’m touching wood seems ok but will be out for longer tomorrow to see.

heres hoping 

zzk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Need to be pragmatic:

Eliminate cleats: get your trainers on and go ride up a hill. No squeak, not cleats

Tighten and grease chain ring bolts: easy done

Check chain for wear, clean and lube and try

Remove chainset: check BB for friction/ smooth running, lube surfaces, clean axle and tighten to ensure no play. Is it your shoe rubbing the crank arm

Front mech: position correct, no chain rub

Cassette: remove clean and make sure tight with no play

Headset: check on climbs, does it occur when just out the saddle or even when seated and hands rested on the tops

Wheels: check QRs/ axles for wear/ spoke tensions etc

Grease everything and anything. There was a good "creak" solving video on youtube sometime back, might be worth looking out.

My experience is that riding with a friend can help localising the problem. Even better is if you can reproduce the sounds on a turbo trainer you can save yourself a lot of time and noisy rides. Good luck. There will be a solution, but can take a while to cure.

zzk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Need to be pragmatic:

Eliminate cleats: get your trainers on and go ride up a hill. No squeak, not cleats

Remove chainset: check BB for friction/ smooth running, lube surfaces, clean axle and tighten to ensure no play. Is it your shoe rubbing the crank arm

Headset: check on climbs, does it occur when just out the saddle or even when seated and hands rested on the tops

Grease everything and anything. There was a good "creak" solving video on youtube sometime back, might be worth looking out.

My experience is that riding with a friend can help localising the problem. Even better is if you can reproduce the sounds on a turbo trainer you can save yourself a lot of time and noisy rides. Good luck. There will be a solution, but can take a while to cure.

zzk | 6 years ago
1 like

Need to be pragmatic:

pwake | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you're convinced it's in the BB/crank area, then you're probably right. You orginally said the BB was fine, but you're dealing with a press-fit BB here, one of the worst 'innovations' of recent years. I recently had a similar experience with a BB386 EVO and changed out for a Wheels Manufacturing threaded replacement; no more creaks.

Not saying this is the case here, but maybe.

nniff | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tighten up the rear QR. If it's a Ti one, get a steel one, grease it and do it up tight.   I had a problem - wrongly diagnosed as spoke tension - not that.  Changed the skewers to Hope from Ti Planet X and the problem went.

RMurphy195 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had this a couple ofyears ago on a fairly-new bike equipped with Mavic Aksium disc wheels. Turned out to be the hub on the rear wheel is made of of a number of parts - 3 I think I was told - that are bonded together. And the bonding had failed on the rear hub. Replaced under warranty, no problem since (so far!)

Deatils in these links

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=105798&p=1009113&hilit=creak#p1009113

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104561&p=995118&hilit=creak#p995118

Big Jay replied to RMurphy195 | 6 years ago
0 likes

RMurphy195 wrote:

I had this a couple ofyears ago on a fairly-new bike equipped with Mavic Aksium disc wheels. Turned out to be the hub on the rear wheel is made of of a number of parts - 3 I think I was told - that are bonded together. And the bonding had failed on the rear hub. Replaced under warranty, no problem since (so far!)

Deatils in these links

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=105798&p=1009113&hilit=creak#p1009113

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104561&p=995118&hilit=creak#p995118

thanks I’ll get the LBS to check the hub, not letting me loose on them 

simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had something similar. Checked everything and couldn't clear it. Well. Hadn't checked the rear dropout though, because that's what. Tightened up the screw fixing it to the frame, job done.

Big Jay replied to simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

simonmb wrote:

I had something similar. Checked everything and couldn't clear it. Well. Hadn't checked the rear dropout though, because that's what. Tightened up the screw fixing it to the frame, job done.

thanks I’m looking later, would that explain the noise easing off very temporarily when changing up or down gears?

simonmb replied to Big Jay | 6 years ago
1 like

Big Jay wrote:

simonmb wrote:

thanks I’m looking later, would that explain the noise easing off very temporarily when changing up or down gears?

Could well do. the creaking disappeared each time i took pressure off the pedals. We're a bit of a poor man's CSI:road.cc here without even a body to dissect though. 

Let us know how it goes. We're with you brother.

Big Jay replied to simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

simonmb wrote:

Big Jay wrote:

simonmb wrote:

Could well do. the creaking disappeared each time i took pressure off the pedals. We're a bit of a poor man's CSI:road.cc here without even a body to dissect though. 

Let us know how it goes. We're with you brother.

haha! Thanks man, I will get to the bottom of this. I am convinced it’s in the BB / crank but currently working through the list 

Drinfinity | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've had similar from rear axle (bolt through) which stopped when it was greased, and also from chainring bolts not completely tight. 

Big Jay replied to Drinfinity | 6 years ago
0 likes

Drinfinity wrote:

I've had similar from rear axle (bolt through) which stopped when it was greased, and also from chainring bolts not completely tight. 

cheers dude, I'm away to do that and hope its something so simple. trust me for it to be simple haha

KiwiMike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Look at the crank-spindle interface. The only way to do so is to swap the crank out. I chased a maddening creak for weeks before this was proved the case.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have had two similar experiences:

1) rear derailer slightly out of adjustment, as wheel was flexing under load was just enough to keep catching in lowest gear.

2) pump, attached with a bottle cage bracket, had received a knock and was just knicking chain when on lowest front cog.

Roberts Clubman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Try swapping out wheels and other suspect parts in turn ( friends may come in useful) to see if that cures the problem. It may at least isolate the source of the creak. Since it only happens under extreme load, if nothing else works, examine the frame to ensure there are no micro cracks at the joints. You don't say how old your bike is, what material it's made from or whether you've had any spills on it. The frame is the least likely culprit but it's not unheard of. Try everything else first though.

Big Jay replied to Roberts Clubman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Roberts Clubman wrote:

Try swapping out wheels and other suspect parts in turn ( friends may come in useful) to see if that cures the problem. It may at least isolate the source of the creak. Since it only happens under extreme load, if nothing else works, examine the frame to ensure there are no micro cracks at the joints. You don't say how old your bike is, what material it's made from or whether you've had any spills on it. The frame is the least likely culprit but it's not unheard of. Try everything else first though.

hi Robert, it’s a 2017 Canyon Endurace SLX Carbon Frame, bars and seat post - I’ll go down the process of elimination route I guess starting with headset bearings which seems to be a favourite culprit 

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

QRs - grease 'em and snug 'em (particularly the rear)

If its not that check your cassette lockring is tight

Big Jay replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

QRs - grease 'em and snug 'em (particularly the rear)

If its not that check your cassette lockring is tight

I’ll  do that, had some bad luck with punctures lately so rear wheel been off a few times. 

Simboid | 6 years ago
2 likes

Cleats.

Does it stop if you move your heel outboard a bit? A central cleat position doesn't suit everyone, I moved the cleat as far to the big toe as possible and the creak stopped. The opposite may be true for you or just do the same, mess around and see if it makes any difference.

Don't (like me) convince yourself it's the bike  and shell out for a service you don't need till you've eliminated this possibility.

Big Jay replied to Simboid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simboid wrote:

Cleats.

Does it stop if you move your heel outboard a bit? A central cleat position doesn't suit everyone, I moved the cleat as far to the big toe as possible and the creak stopped. The opposite may be true for you or just do the same, mess around and see if it makes any difference.

Don't (like me) convince yourself it's the bike  and shell out for a service you don't need till you've eliminated this possibility.

thanks I've swappeed the pdeals over and its still the same, have ordered new cleats because tbf they are worn but I think i'm now ready to grease very possible part that can be greased and tightened!

Latest Comments