Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike or upgrade

I currently ride a Canyon CF SL ultimate (2015) and the good lady er indoors has given  me permission to buy a new bike....good news but I’m not sure where to go? Do I stick with my tried & trusted Canyon (which is brilliant but starting to look a bit rough around the edges) and upgrade the wheel set & gruppo or go the whole hog and buy new. I expect I won’t see much change out of £3k or so if I go this route, especially if I start looking at something exotic & italian. Will I notice a significant improvement in a replacement that costs 3or 4 grand? Appreciate there’s a lot out there at this price point but if I do go new I’d like to see electronic shifting & disks. On the other hand what would I be looking at groupset & wheel wise?

Thoughts & recommendations please 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Markopic | 6 years ago
0 likes

Leave the current bike as is, buy yourself a different bike - go disc brake, cyclocross or maybe steel/titanium “adventure” bike. I do not see any point in upgrade of already very good wheels or groupset on Canyon bike, it is just not worth the investment. 

With a different bike you could go to roads/places you have not seen before, and that is the whole point :]

Woodsman replied to Markopic | 6 years ago
1 like

Markopic wrote:

Leave the current bike as is, buy yourself a different bike - go disc brake, cyclocross or maybe steel/titanium “adventure” bike. I do not see any point in upgrade of already very good wheels or groupset on Canyon bike, it is just not worth the investment. 

With a different bike you could go to roads/places you have not seen before, and that is the whole point :]

actually this.....after having to abort a morning commute due to torrential rain & some stupendously asshated drivers that have never left me feeling so vulnerable as a cyclist (3 close / punishment passes within 2 miles.....oh I’m sorry I have to ride slightly further into the road than you’d like but given the drainage system can’t cope with the amount of standing water I’m going to have to...ahem sorry) I’m going to get myself a cheaper £1000ish CX/gravel/adventure bike - but definitely something with disks.....let the research commence.

Any recommendations btw?

Bob F | 6 years ago
0 likes

3 grand doesn't cut it.   Give the current one a makeover angel and  save for a really special 42nd birthday present!

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The problem is you won't get something a lot better for £3 grand. Anything that is a massive improvement will cost £8-£10 grand.

Give your bike a makeover: Strip back to the frame, replace all consumables, reassemble, ride it more. Or have the luxury of getting your LBS to do it for you.

Still sorry I sold my 'scruffy' Canyon...

Nixster | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tricky!  Your Canyon has a good frame and if it looks tatty like you say you won't get much for it if you sell it.  Which suggests upgrade to me.  I think Canyon do their frames as either mechanical or electric so you might not be able to go electronic?  Unless you go for etap, which is great but is not a happy mix with Shimano cranks I have been told.  You really can't go wrong with either Ultegra or Dura-ace as a mechanical groupset and wheels around the £1k mark are good enough for anyone who isn't paid to ride, Reynolds perhaps?

Personally I think £3k is a real performance sweetspot for road bikes. So I can see it's tempting to go for a new bike however with a few exceptions the wheels won't be that great so you might need to budget for those as well.

So my suggestion would be Dura ace mechanical and new wheels and maybe renew contact points too, which would make it feel like a new bike and also go like stink!

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
1 like

With a budget of £3k and a 40th birthday coming up...would have to be a titanium something or other.  If you upgrade, what are you going to do with the savings?  I don't think an upgrade will give you much of a buzz, but a new bike?!  Oh boy...

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Look for 'rider issued' on eBay too - someone was selling a nice Team Wiggins Pinarello for £3.5k a couple of weeks back...

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

If its comfy, upgrade components. Maybe go for electronic shifting plus new wheels? You say its looking tatty - custom paintjob would fix that. http://www.enigmabikes.com/paintworks/

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

A mate just upgraded to canyon disc bike, absolutely loves the new found confidence of braking.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd probably upgrade.

A new aero carbon wheelset and the new Ultegra groupset would make a massive difference.

I bought a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0, I took the weight penalty with the discs and I certainly appreciate the more controlled braking - I also don't have to worry about wearing down carbon rims.

Despite this, if you buy some very good carbon specific rim brake pads, you shouldn't have an issue (providing you don't ride in the rain).

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Lots of very valid points here, I'm currently in a similar situation.. I've made a list of things I want from a new bike (I can't have it all) and have then put pro's and con's against a shortlist. However as much as I look at my list, the pro's and the con's, my heart is seemingly still ruling... the desicion I'm currently leaning towards, is a very expensive winter bike which ticks less boxes than other cheaper models would. The decision is driving me a bit mad at the moment.

The canyon is a very good bike by all accounts, my mate has one and does very well with it, however he does complain every now and then about not being able to get low enough on it (quite a long headtube). 

Bear in mind that you 'could' by a raced team bike for half the cash they cost new.. bit of a risk I guess, but I took that risk and managed to get a top of the range bike for literally half price after seven months of racing, admittedly it needed a new bottom backet, cassette and rear hub wheel bearings.. but all told that cost me about a ton, I'm still saving nearer 3 grand.

rjfrussell replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

Bear in mind that you 'could' by a raced team bike for half the cash they cost new.. bit of a risk I guess, but I took that risk and managed to get a top of the range bike for literally half price after seven months of racing

where do you find the ex-racing bikes?

peted76 replied to rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

peted76 wrote:

Bear in mind that you 'could' by a raced team bike for half the cash they cost new.. bit of a risk I guess, but I took that risk and managed to get a top of the range bike for literally half price after seven months of racing

where do you find the ex-racing bikes?

I stumbled upon a 'national level' team selling them off at the end of the season, it's not uncommon. You can also search for 'bike sponsors' who get them back at the end of the season and sell them off cheap. Like Windymilla, Condor etc.. 

Morgoth985 | 6 years ago
0 likes

My feeling would be upgrade.   That Canyon's a pretty good frame as far as I know and if you think it's brilliant then it obviously suits you.  If you're planning on spending that kind of money, or even something remotely near it, then with a good choice of wheels etc you could build a stonking bike around it.  The only thing that might change that is if you really want to go electronic since as mentioned above you might get a better deal for the complete bike.  Depends how strongly you feel about electronic.  I appreciate opinions vary on this but for 3k if it was me I'd stick with mechanical and upgrade wheels, chainset and as many other things as the budget will allow.

simonmb | 6 years ago
4 likes

Change the brake and shifter cables. I bet it'll feel like a whole new bike.

Tjuice | 6 years ago
0 likes

What have you been doing to your bike that leaves it rough round the edges after only two years?  Are you riding 8 hours every day in atrocious conditions?!

I think the key question you need to ask yourself is what you are trying to improve:

• Aerodynamics (wheel upgrade can go a long way if you ride fast enough)
  • Weight (again, wheels and various other bits and bobs can make a difference)
  • Not comfortable on your bike or never quite gelled with it (could try a bike fit to see if that helps, otherwise, probably will be new bike time)
  • Want to move from mechanical to electronic groupset (depending on the deal, you might find it more cost effective to buy a new bike, especially if you can sell the old one for a good price)
  • Fancy something new (probably want to get new bike)

Whichever way you go, make sure your heart is fully behind that decision so that you don't always look back wishing you'd done something else.  There is a real joy in riding a bike that is really what your heart desired (within the boundaries of what you could afford).

SingleSpeed replied to Tjuice | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tjuice wrote:

What have you been doing to your bike that leaves it rough round the edges after only two years?  Are you riding 8 hours every day in atrocious conditions?!

You should see the state of my race frame, it was a bit over £2 last year and it's all but trashed a year on! Racing bikes wrecks bikes!

With £3k burning a hole in my pocket, I'd maybe look at getting a 'Forever' frame built, a gorgeous 853 bespoke piece, canyons are two a penny but something handbuilt for you...that's where I'd go.

Simon E | 6 years ago
1 like

"Will I notice a significant improvement in a replacement?"

Unlikely, IMVHO.

In my world £3k is a LOT of money. You could have some great bike trips/holidays with that. Which would be much more fun than blowing it all on another bike very much like your current (already excellent) one. It's not like you're looking to upgrade from a cheapie.

I'd buy some nice wheels, have it serviced then ride, ride, ride.

sergius replied to Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

In my world £3k is a LOT of money. You could have some great bike trips/holidays with that. Which would be much more fun than blowing it all on another bike very much like your current (already excellent) one. It's not like you're looking to upgrade from a cheapie.

It's a valid point, but for me with a wife/children - there a a lot more considerations than just cost when having a cycling holiday... I'm fortunate that my wife will let me pick places to go where there is reasonable cycling and she doesn't mind too much if I disapear on a hire bike for a day or two of our holidays.

I'm just trying to justify the bike I plan to buy myself for my 40th birthday next year  4

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
4 likes

If your bike is really comfy for the type of riding you do, upgrade.

If you 'want' and 'need' a new bike, get one.

Latest Comments