Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Building a Bike not quite but piece by piece

Hi 

I have recently returned from Sydney where I got back into my cycling.  Being here for under 4 weeks I had an accident and my Focus Cayo got written off.  Totally gutted at the drivers here.

I am recovering and secretly looking at bicycles. 

Therefore, in the meantime the only thing I can do is look online and figure what to do with the limited funds.

Gone are the days when I could have time to put it all together.

I was thinking of buying a decent frame, wheelset and groupset from sales and etc in time for me getting back on.

Has anyone had the experience or know of any fitters?  I was thinking of buying everything and giving it to someone to put it all together.

Thoughts and tips appreciated.

I did do a search on forums but there's alot out there.

thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
1 like

For the cost of getting your LBS to build it up you could, if you can find a bit of time, build it yourself under supervision at London Bike Kitchen, or somewhere similar.

http://www.lbk.org.uk/byob

I considered them when I was planning a first bike build, but in the end did it myself, slowly over a few weekends.

I took the wheel-building class at LBK earlier this year, and they're great. Very friendly and helpful, and very right-on in the best possible way.

sidj15 replied to ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
0 likes

ConcordeCX wrote:

For the cost of getting your LBS to build it up you could, if you can find a bit of time, build it yourself under supervision at London Bike Kitchen, or somewhere similar.

I considered them when I was planning a first bike build, but in the end did it myself, slowly over a few weekends.

I took the wheel-building class at LBK earlier this year, and they're great. Very friendly and helpful, and very right-on in the best possible way.

Hey that's pretty good.  Thanks

ConcordeCX replied to sidj15 | 6 years ago
0 likes

sidj15 wrote:

ConcordeCX wrote:

Hey that's pretty good.  Thanks

Jenni, who runs LBK, has written a book about how to build a single-speed:

https://www.quartoknows.com/books/9780711238985/How-to-Build-a-Bike.html...

Putting gears on isn't very difficult.

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

Might be a little far for you, but my local bike shop guy is good. Cyclezone, Earley (Reading). Left my bike and box of bits and wheels with him and he charged £104 to completely rebuild it, internal cables and all. The saddle and fork are the only things to have not been changed.

He's pretty laid back, so if he's busy you might not get the bike finished very quickly.

sidj15 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I am in Amersham, I will check the British Cycle website for clubs locally.  But someone would just say yes to helping build a bicycle you reckon?  I mean I wouldn't mind.

I thought it would be straightforward to build a bicycle but there are so many options even on just a road bicycle.  

Recovering well, find myself when in shouting distance of idiots without helmets.  Shouting at them to wear helmets ! I need to calm down.  1

What do you all think of this blog?

http://blog.techbikers.com/post/63759600839/build-your-own-road-bike-its...

Looks good but unable to find the rest of the series.  Let you know.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

Unless you can find someone to assemble it for free I'd say you'll be better off buying a complete bike through eBay. Realistically though bikes always consume repair time, particularly if you're riding regularly through the winter. I'm working on persuading my employer to provide a repair stand and toolset at work as lunch is valuable time that can be used for fettling.

sidj15 replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Unless you can find someone to assemble it for free I'd say you'll be better off buying a complete bike through eBay. Realistically though bikes always consume repair time, particularly if you're riding regularly through the winter. I'm working on persuading my employer to provide a repair stand and toolset at work as lunch is valuable time that can be used for fettling.

Don't know if I'd trust Ebay enough for that or if I did myself to spot a lemon.

flyingpitman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi  sidj15  why not join a local cycle club.I'm sure they will have membes who can help you build a bike up.Plus you will have made new friends.

If you're not sure check British Cycling website for your area as there will be a list of clubs.

Or say what area you're in and maybe someone on here will help you find a club,or if they live close to you may help.

Hope you recovered from the crash

Grahamd replied to flyingpitman | 6 years ago
0 likes

flyingpitman wrote:

Hi  sidj15  why not join a local cycle club.I'm sure they will have membes who can help you build a bike up.Plus you will have made new friends.

If you're not sure check British Cycling website for your area as there will be a list of clubs.

Or say what area you're in and maybe someone on here will help you find a club,or if they live close to you may help.

Hope you recovered from the crash

Good call, most club riders tend to have a few spare parts as well, know I do (don't tell the wife) and would part with some to help.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Depending on what you want some on line shops seem to have permanent sales though these are dependent on the stock they can get. Last year's bikes are always a bargain and some gave them in stock well in to the next year though in restricted sizes. As an example look at pauls cycles on line.

simonmb | 6 years ago
2 likes

You could nick one. And, if you do it while you're helmetless and riding a Vespa, the police aren't allowed to stop you.

#donttrythiskids

sidj15 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all

The only thing is that I am unable to buy at the moment.  When do you think the prices go back up? 

I am confused with thr many bicycles on offer.  Jeez !  1

Canyon48 replied to sidj15 | 6 years ago
1 like

sidj15 wrote:

When do you think the prices go back up?

Until they run out of stock.

I appreciate this isn't exactly a helpful answer... Bikes with x small or x large frames will be in stock into early 2018 as they aren't so sought after.

Medium sized bikes that are sought after will probably be out of stock by the end of October (if not September).

The prices don't go back up as such, the reduced range of 2017 will just sell out, leaving the full price 2018 range.

sidj15 replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

wellsprop wrote:

sidj15 wrote:

When do you think the prices go back up?

Until they run out of stock.

I appreciate this isn't exactly a helpful answer... Bikes with x small or x large frames will be in stock into early 2018 as they aren't so sought after.

Medium sized bikes that are sought after will probably be out of stock by the end of October (if not September).

The prices don't go back up as such, the reduced range of 2017 will just sell out, leaving the full price 2018 range.

Good call, I will keep an eye open.

simonmb | 6 years ago
1 like

We're coming to the time of year when you'll get a decent bike for less than the sum of the parts (and then paying someone to build them up for you). Keep an eye out for this year / last year model bikes. End of year deals are your freind!

Canyon48 replied to simonmb | 6 years ago
1 like

simonmb wrote:

We're coming to the time of year when you'll get a decent bike for less than the sum of the parts (and then paying someone to build them up for you). Keep an eye out for this year / last year model bikes. End of year deals are your freind!

I certainly agree with this too! For a FULL bike build, you are looking at up to £100 for a shop to do it. Buying all the parts individually is significantly more expensive as well.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

Damn, sorry to hear that  2 All the best recovering!

Your LBS should be more than competent - they'll charge you through the nose though.

Ok, I know you've just said you haven't got enough time to build yourself... but if you put it together one bit at a time (as parts arrive via post etc), it won't take that long. It won't take much more time to put it together yourself than it would to take it to and then collect it from a bike shop etc.

Latest Comments