Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seatpost shim 31.6 to 27.2 good or bad idea

Just bought a new carbon frame but want to use 27.2 seatpost. Seat tube usually takes 31.6. Has anyone had experience using a shim, if so which one. Have you had any issues or creaking?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

number9dream | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes, used for years on an MTB, no issues whatsover

oceandweller | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 to the above. I have a USE shim to fit a nice & springy KCNC seatpost (30.9mm) that I got half price, into my Condor (31.6mm) & it's been flawless.

missionsystem | 6 years ago
0 likes

Again, I used a USE thermoplastic shim on a my old Whyte 19 hardtail. Once i got the setup dialled, no problems at all and it had the effect I suspect your looking for.

paulrattew | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use a USE shim to fit an Ergon 27.2 seatpost to my 31.6 seat tubed boardman. works perfectly. No creaks, no slips. Helps build in a little more comfort

SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
0 likes

USE thermoplastics all round here, they are machined to avoid slippage, lather them in plastic paste and jobs a good one.

seve88 | 6 years ago
0 likes

USE shim and never had a problem with creaking ir slipping.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use a cane creek one. The seatpost slipped a bit for a while (carbon into alu shim) but has stabilised now.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use one that came with a TT seat post, works fine no creaks, fitted on carbon bike

Latest Comments