Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 32t cassette on short cage mech

Currently running a 28t but on occasion i really would like the 32t option to keep an high cadence when climbing. 

Can an I fit the cassette with the standard shortcake mech with only a tightening of the long adjustment screw? Does it have any bearing at all on front mech set up or would that need adjustment?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

bondirob | 6 years ago
0 likes

It works fine no need for a Wolf Tooth.
I've got a 36t cassette running off medium cage no worries on my winter bike.
Tried a 40t but needed a Wolf Tooth hanger for that.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

You can probably bodge it, but a Wolf Tooth derailleur hanger is the answer to this.  Easy to fit.  No need to split the chain (never a good idea) and cheap enough....at GBP25 (which is a lot cheaper than changing a derailleur given the comments on chains above... 

Charlie-CarbsAn... | 6 years ago
0 likes

works perfectly on my bike, just needs some adjustment, and different chain length. Mine even works big-big (50-32)

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tuning front mechs is always a bit piggish so if you got it done, then well done. Usually the problem is a false limit created by cable tension, so as long as you accounted for that, then great.

Kirky72 | 6 years ago
3 likes

Well I tried it last night.

just about got enough clearance so the teeth weren't rubbing with just about 1.5 /2mm gap. Changed pretty smooth actually after a small amount of adjustment. That's all on the small front ring 36t.

i tried to fudge it without changing the chain, tested the front ring although I have no intention of going nowhere near the top three cogs, I though I would test it just in case a mistake happened. Went well until moving onto the 32t were it all locked up as it moved onto the 32t. Couldn't budge anything and had to split the chain, added 3 more links to a new chain and all is well.

from new the front deralliur rubbed from 4 cogs down in the smallest chainring and the last half of the cassette in the front, a good indicator of when to change front but annoying so I tackled that at the same time.

the limit screws didn't have the affect I thought they would and after a lot of fettling it was all about the cable tension, my ,each doesn't have any barrel adjust so it had to spit on by cable adjustment only. The only way I could do it was to set it with plenty of clearance on the inner ring, so when it relaxed back a bit it was just about right and then on the big ring it had sufficent clearance. No idea of I did it technically correct but it seemed to work nicely in the end, 2 hours later.

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
2 likes

Yes you can go from 11-28 to 11-32 using a short cage (SS). With Shimano 10 or 11 speed all you have to do is tighten the b-screw in a bit to get it to not make noise on the 32T cog, You will find that it shifts as smoothly and as quickly as it did with an 11-28 cassette except it's a bit slower between the two smallest cogs; that’s to be expected with the b-screw pulling the upper jockey wheel further away from those small cogs.

Be sure to calculate chain size (# of links). Post back if you need help with this.

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
2 likes

it could work. it depends what the short cage mech is.  Not all short cage mechs are really short cage. older stuff was a lot more flexible

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've run a 34t xtr cassette on older versions (9 speed) of both 105 and dura ace short cage and it worked fine - tighten the b screw and make sure the limiter screw holds it in place - I have no idea if newer shimano stuff can handle it though

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I previously ran a 30 on a short cage and the mech was so close to the 30t that it occasional bounced off it. It worked, but rattled, and is likely to end up with your mech in the spokes.

huntswheelers | 6 years ago
0 likes

Wolf tooth Road Link wink

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

It is doable,  it might place the pulley near the sprocket but if it isn't touching then it's fine.

Sometimes screwing the B screw in all the way works, sometimes not, failing that you could try popping the B screw in the 'wrong way'.

I've seen a Dura Ace 9000 RD cope with a big/big, with a 32t sprocket, if you don't try it, you won't know and then end up buying a mid cage rd for no reason.

Older Ultegra 6700 short cage does a 32t piece of piss as it was designed for a 30T anyways, obvs not compatible with 11 speed set-up AFAIK.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

The cage length relates to the total amount of slack in the chain it has to deal with; everything from the top pulley up is the same regardless of cage length. Shimano publish guides as to what does what, but you can then take a bit of a liberty by moving the b screw inward and seeing where the top pulley ends up against the 32 tooth sprocket. I assume you have a compact up front. This is one of those things that a lot of people ask about and usually is ok. You would need a new chain most likely.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

No you can't, it'll cock up the tension, bring your mech too close to your 32cogs and probably explode like a Samsung mobiel phone, also I'm pretty sure than you'll also get arrested for being so daft to think that you're the only person to have thought of this. 

In seriousness, it may be okay with a non road standard front/rear cogs.. and maybe a campy set up but not for 'normal' shimano road gearing.

Latest Comments