Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

CO2 inflator damaging valve

I tried out my CO2 inflator today on a flat tyre.  I'd repaired the puncture, and the tyre inflated OK but whe I took the inflator off the valve wouldn't seal again.  Could the CO2 have damaged the valve by cooling it to much?  Or was I just ham fisted using it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dmack | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes everything has warmed up, and the valve is still broken.  I've had too replace the inner tube with a new one.

surly_by_name replied to dmack | 6 years ago
0 likes

dmack wrote:

Yes everything has warmed up, and the valve is still broken.  I've had too replace the inner tube with a new one.

Unfortunately I think your diagnosis is correct and you were on this occasion ham fisted. I am not suggesting this is anythign other than a one off, so please don't be offended, but I've never heard of (or expereinced, in many years of using C02) valves suffering from cold.

dmack replied to surly_by_name | 6 years ago
0 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

dmack wrote:

Unfortunately I think your diagnosis is correct and you were on this occasion ham fisted. I am not suggesting this is anythign other than a one off, so please don't be offended, but I've never heard of (or expereinced, in many years of using C02) valves suffering from cold.

That's what I needed to know - thanks!

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Strange... Has everything warmed back up to room temperature yet? Also, don't forget when you use CO2 to empty the wheel when you get home and inflate with air. CO2 dissolves through rubber and the tyre'll be flat again in a couple of days if you don't.

surly_by_name replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

CO2 dissolves through rubber....

Although it doesn't matter (you've correctly described the outcome and the remedy), this is wrong. CO2 may well escape but it certainly doesn't dissolve.

Judge dreadful replied to surly_by_name | 6 years ago
0 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

StraelGuy wrote:

CO2 dissolves through rubber....

Although it doesn't matter (you've correctly described the outcome and the remedy), this is wrong. CO2 may well escape but it certainly doesn't dissolve.

If there is any moisture in the gas ( there will be ) the ( very dilute ) Carbonic acid formed, can reduce tube life, as it degrades rubber quite nicely, especially at high pressure.

Latest Comments