Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

which Road bike should I get?

I recently had a Ghost Square Cross 3, I liked it til my friends started breezing my me with their road bikes.

I am currently trying to buy a road bike with a better seating position for the back. I've boiled down my options to:

Giant 2018 Contend SL Disc 1
Giant 2018 Defy Advanced 1/2

one of the two should I go with...the major differences between them is one is aluminum the other is carbon, both tubeless.

The 2017 versions are not tubeless.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd think about getting the 2017 models - there are some good deals about at the moment - and use the savings to upgrade to tubeless if that's what you really want.

Syence replied to theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

theironduck wrote:

I'd think about getting the 2017 models - there are some good deals about at the moment - and use the savings to upgrade to tubeless if that's what you really want.

whwre I live 2017 and 2018 are about the same prizes with a difference of 40-50 dollars.

Syence replied to theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

theironduck wrote:

yet to find any good deals on the 2017 models. They are all still priced bout the same as the 2018 models.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

To answer the original question:

Quote:

I am currently trying to buy a road bike with a better seating position for the back. I've boiled down my options to:

What do you mean by this? Less or more aggressive, or frame/componentry to give a less harsh ride?

Giant categorises the Defy as 'Endurance' and Contend as 'All-Rounder', which implies the Defy would be more comfortable. However, the stack and reach for both Giants appear identical (567, 377). So your position will be similar. They both have the same seatpost and tyres. Some people say carbon is less harsh.

Try a test ride of both, if you can.

(They are both more aggressive than your Ghost, btw.)

Syence replied to dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Quote:

What do you mean by this? Less or more aggressive, or frame/componentry to give a less harsh ride?

Giant categorises the Defy as 'Endurance' and Contend as 'All-Rounder', which implies the Defy would be more comfortable. However, the stack and reach for both Giants appear identical (567, 377). So your position will be similar. They both have the same seatpost and tyres. Some people say carbon is less harsh.

More aggressive but less strain on the back on longer rides.

Goldfever4 replied to Syence | 6 years ago
2 likes

Syence wrote:

dottigirl wrote:

Quote:

More aggressive but less strain on the back on longer rides.

How do you get a more aggressive position with less pressure on your back? Other than yoga.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
5 likes

Confession- last year I spent a large amount on a new bike, then spent over half as much again tweaking it. In hindsight I should have gone to more bike shops and tried many more bikes, and then built my own, Have already decided that when I get another (don't tell the wife) that is what I will do.

dottigirl replied to Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like

Grahamd wrote:

Confession- last year I spent a large amount on a new bike, then spent over half as much again tweaking it. In hindsight I should have gone to more bike shops and tried many more bikes, and then built my own...

Similar but different for me: bought a new bike (primarily for the frameset), rebuilt it, rode it a few times, decided I didn't like the handling and sold it. 

(I bought another Kinesis Racelight T2 which I rebuilt. So I now have two T2s just built up differently. Does this make me really unadventurous?)

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
2 likes

go for the one with the best paintjob

Syence replied to Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
1 like

Scoob_84 wrote:

go for the one with the best paintjob

the defy advance 1 has the best paint job for me. I love the gold gold/yellow. 

Woldsman replied to Syence | 6 years ago
2 likes

Syence wrote:

one of the two should I go with...the major differences between them is one is aluminum the other is carbon...

Still not sure what you mean about "a bike with a better seating position for the back".  I was about to point out that neither of the Giant models is a tandem.  But anyway...

If you can't separate the two buy the Giant Contend SL Disc 1.  Here's why:

a) The Contend is closer to being a 'winter' bike than the other.  The frame is aluminium.  It looks an ideal bike to get in to road cycling. 

b) The Defy is more expensive.  (If you don't get on with road cycling you haven't spent quite so much money.)  Get used to road cycling on your Contend and save up for your next road bike which may well be a carbon one for nice summer days etc.  If, for instance, you find out that the Contend leaves you too hunched up (is that what you are gettting at?) you can fit a longer longer stem. 

Then when you buy your next bike (you have to, it's the law) you will be in a better position (literally) to decide if the Defy Advanced is the right one for you.  You may, for instance, decide that you fancy a TCR Advanced bike - "longer and lower".  I found the Defy models in my size to be too high up at the front and my back was rounded when I sat on one.  Personally, I like a more stretched out position.  You might; you might not. Best wishes - W.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
4 likes

Try before you buy and get the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Latest Comments