Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What rucksack size for commuting

I'm soon to be starting a 15 mile commute (each way) to uni and I need a rucksack to carry a few things.

I need to be able to carry a pair of trousers, a top, underwear, pen, paper (plus an a4 sized book), calculator, charger, wallets, keys, phone and lunchbox (big enough for sandwich banana apple and orange).

10 litres is too small, but I'm thinking 22 (like the Osprey Talon) is too big.

I think the Deuter Race X could be a good one at 12litres, or would the Deuter Race EXP (12 litres but expandable to add another 3) be better?

I'm able to leave a towel, toiletries, shoes, lock and a few other things at uni - any opinions on what size bag I might need?

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

39 comments

Canyon48 replied to fatsmoker | 6 years ago
0 likes

fatsmoker wrote:

I hope you don't have to fill it to the full 20litres very often. I managed with a 6L backpack from Aldi for 3 years and wouldn't have wanted to go any bigger just because of the weight. Adding a bottle of wine a couple of times made my back ache over 15 miles.  Recently switched to  6l saddle bag which squashed my work shirts, but stops my back sweating. 

6L?! Blimey that's good going.

Tbh, I don't intend to stuff it full. But carrying a thin A4 ringbinder, as well a book, plus a lunch box and clothes, most of which are just bulky.

ConcordeCX replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Are you sure that you want to be able to carry only that specific stuff and nothing else at all, ever?

Do you ever buy a book or something, or other shopping? Nothing worse than finding you've no way to carry something home...

If you know that everything you really definitely absolutely need as a minimum load will fit in a 12 litre pack, then I'd suggest getting the 22 litre pack you mention (just in case).

Just my tuppenn'orth    3

PS: make sure you buy something properly waterproof!

i get round this problem by putting my stuff inside a musette or dry bag with a shoulder strap, and putting that in a saddle bag, currently a Carradice Audax, which is quite small. When I pick up some shopping on the way home it goes into the saddlebag, and the musette/dry bag goes over my shoulder for the last bit of the journey. 

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've just received my Opsrey Syncro 20 (small/medium size - aparently 18L) today. It can carry quite a bit more than I expected, so it's going back.

I'm now stuck between the Deuter Race X and the Osprey Syncro 15.

I'm verging towards the Osprey as I much prefer the mesh contact area of the osprey!

arckuk | 6 years ago
1 like

I love my Syncro 15, have had it for ~5+ years daily commuting, about 30 mile round trip.

Good things:  

• holds lunch box, some fruit,  spare tyre, CO2, multi-tool plus 3 or 4 shirts or similar amount of laundry. just wide enough to hold my work laptop. Can take a pair of shoes if not packed with other stuff
  • top pocket holds keys, phone, cash etc for easy access
  • excellent side pockets expand to hold whatever extra bits of clothing I might add or remove during the course of a ride home or during the day - changes with season, but today that means gilet, defeet gloves, overshoes and arm warmers
  • sweaty back not a problem with the pack being held away from my back, even during a daily fast lap of Richmond Park
  • not too heavy
  • pretty water resistant, but the foldout waterproof cover works when there's proper rain
  • zips are excellent - secure and pretty waterproof, and easy to use with gloves
  • chest strap is height adjustable, waist strap is removable

Not so good:

• looking a bit grubby now 
  • could maybe do with just a little more capacity, but I reckon that'll always be the case 

I'd get another if I had to replace it, but I'd be tempted by the next size up.

wycombewheeler | 6 years ago
0 likes

No backpack carradry sqr 17 litres waterproof mounts on seatpost. Can carry lunchbox laptop notebook and clothes.

mart85 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got one of these Alpkit Gourdon 20 and can really recommend them -

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-20

Waterproof and good quality, £32

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

Alpkit gourdon for me too. Don't get a fabric bag that needs a drink bag inside. The outer bag soaks up water and adds to the weight. Alpkit is cheap 100% waterproofing and I've had mine years - very durable.

Used it for a 45 mile walk this summer and it worked for that too. Really impressive.

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

Alpkit gourdon for me too. Don't get a fabric bag that needs a drink bag inside. The outer bag soaks up water and adds to the weight. Alpkit is cheap 100% waterproofing and I've had mine years - very durable.

Used it for a 45 mile walk this summer and it worked for that too. Really impressive.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Got my Osprey Syncro 15 (small size - apparently 13L) yesterday.

Used it for my first commute today, barely even noticed it was on my back. Having the rucksack essentially suspended away from my back on the mesh meant I barely noticed there was anything on my back, particularly nice not to have a very hot back or any pressure points.

The rucksack carried everything I needed comfortably and could have taken a bit more.

• clothes
  • folder
  • pen/calculator
  • keys, wallet, phone, watch, earphones
  • lunch (sandwich apple and banana)
  • tools and inner tube

I'm going to move my tools into a tool bottle on my bike, which can then be left in my locker (save me carrying the excess weight all the time). If I were being REALLY picky, I'd like a top tube bag to save me taking off my rucksack when I need to access my keys/keycard and phone - but this is a minor niggle (I think I'll stick with the rucksack over an ugly/unnecessary top tube bag though).

- I know, I have jersey pockets for those things, but they tend to get covered in sweat, condensation or rain.

Thanks for all the recommendations  4

Pages

Latest Comments