Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How to price bikes you're selling

HI - this is not me trying to sell my bikes (that's what the classifieds are for) but want some advice on how to price them up ...

Have finally convinced the wife that I *need* a full carbon, Di2 Scott speed machine but she is quite responsibly suggesting I sell some of the bikes/frames/wheels/unused groupsets that are lying around the garage. I agree but only because I want the space back. 

So my question is this - How do you judge what to charge for bits you sell ?

I have a alu/carbon Bianchi frame, stock reparto wheels, mid-level shimano wheels and an untouched 10spd Tiagra groupset I've been meaning to fit to my commuter bike.

Would I be better building the Bianchi up to sell, or selling individually as components ? And do I just check eBay and gumtree for similar bikes ? Might sell onto a friend but don't want to rip him off (components alone I spent about £350 if I build it up - but that seems too much)

Fell out with my LBS after a very shodding service last year so can't ask them

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

srchar | 6 years ago
1 like

I think you'll make more money by selling the parts separately than building up a "mongrel" bike - they're always difficult to advertise.

The market for bike parts on eBay is so liquid that I usually just throw an auction up starting at £1 with no reserve.  I'm rarely disappointed with the final price and often pleasantly surprised.

kev-s | 6 years ago
1 like

Look at the completed listings on Ebay

This will give you an idea of how much your stuff will go for and will show you how much the unsold stuff was priced at

Dont worry about pricing stuff too high as you can always drop prices or be open to offers

Just because you can buy something brand new from a retailer cheaper dosent mean your item wont sell

Some people are too lazy to check for the cheapest price and just dont think to check elsewhere

HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
0 likes

I suppose the 'market' will tell you. I'd say half the the prices of the used stuff to start with (at the very least) and then see what offers you get. If it's a bit slow you might have to take the price down in increments until you get a bite.

The groupset is a tricky one; CRC are selling a new Tiagra 10 speed groupset for £270 (47% off  according to them). You'll have to beat that. Winter is coming up though; good time to sell.

For the record, I've sold loads of bikes and bits via scumtree, FB etc. Quite often I've been lucky to get 30% of the original price (and that's after just 1-2 years depreciation). Ask too much and you'll wait forever to sell it. Ask for too little and you'll get burned,

It's a buyers market.

Latest Comments