Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mechanical Disc Replacement Brake Cable Help

After 2 frustrating months on my hand-me-down commuter bike, I' ve just realised that im not actually as out of shape as i first thought, or that my bike it unusually slow compared to others....  but its in fact that my brake cables need replacing as my front break doesnt release properly ans it always on.

The breaks are TRP Hy/rd, and thankfully, i think they're still in working order. But i've never replaced a mech disc brake cable inner and outer before. I read somewhere you need compressionless outers. Is this something unique or are all brake outers compressionless? 

Can i just use standard ultegra level brake cables? And is 2500mm of outer enough for full outer routing from lever to brake?

I probably need new pads too, are these standard accross all types of disc brakes?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Miller | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yay. I do like a happy ending.

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Big thanks to everyone for your advice. I replaced the cables (with Jagwires) and the brakes now work infinately better. I didnt realise how bad they were when inheriting this bike, i just thought mech discs were just that much worse than hydraulic discs which i have on my nice bike. Im very impressed with these HY/RDs.....and how many times i've had to learn (and forget) the lesson of regular cable replacement!

KiwiMike | 6 years ago
1 like

OP: some good advice above, some downright wrong. From extensive personal experience, the Yokozuna Reaction cables last years, remain friction-free, and offer damn-close-to hydraulic levels of performance. I recently descended a 1-in-4 Scottish road with multiple switchbacks, at speed, and had one finger on each lever, with no issues slowing down. 

http://road.cc/content/review/205547-yokozuna-reaction-brake-cable-system

gonedownhill | 6 years ago
1 like

I have had rub issues before when the pistons themselves get a bit sticky, TRP advised me to clean/lube the sides of the pistons with a mineral oil-soaked cotton bud whilst going through cycles of retracting and over-extending the pistons.

You can successfully run standard Shimano cables with these brakes, may not be as good as compressionless, but you can get them working well.

The pads are the same ones as fit Shimano Deore , can get them cheap from superstar components or uber

Also I strongly recommend doing the overfilling thing if you have too much throw. Took me 18 months of fettling and then riding on lacklustre brakes, now I've done this they are excellent. 

Miller | 6 years ago
1 like

Scoob_84, neither of the cable kits you link to are compressionless. However, these two are:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/trp-disc-brake-cableset-compression-less/

http://www.highonbikes.com/jagwire-road-pro-brake-cable-set.html?gclid=E...

My recommendation would be to go with the TRP kit, I have installled one recently and it's very good.

For cutting the outer, yes you need a decent cable cutter. If you can put an old piece of brake inner through the outer at the point where you're cutting, you'll avoid crushing the outer flat.

Mikethebike, you might think that 'posh' cable is only a little better but I can assure you that when it comes to cable discs, the difference in performance between conventional outer and compressionless outer is night and day.

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, but im fairly confident with recabling bikes, done this several times on rim brake bikes. But i take your points on board about taking measures to reduce the crush as mech disc brakes appear to be more prone to shoddy work that you can get away with on rim brakes.

My concern is primarily with the type of cable outers i should be using. The marketing guff that comes with these products are a bit ambiguous for my liking. I keep reading that i need compressionless outers to go with my cable discs, yet brake cable sets dont appear to be sold as compressionless and non-comnpressionless, hence why im asking on here. 

mike the bike replied to Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
1 like

Scoob_84 wrote:

Thanks, but im fairly confident with recabling bikes, done this several times on rim brake bikes. But i take your points on board about taking measures to reduce the crush as mech disc brakes appear to be more prone to shoddy work that you can get away with on rim brakes.

My concern is primarily with the type of cable outers i should be using. The marketing guff that comes with these products are a bit ambiguous for my liking. I keep reading that i need compressionless outers to go with my cable discs, yet brake cable sets dont appear to be sold as compressionless and non-comnpressionless, hence why im asking on here. 

The way I see it Scoob is that ordinary brake cable outers, such as your Ultegras,  are almost free from compression and posh, expensive outers are a little bit better in this respect.  Whether you want to spend twice as much to gain a 5% improvement is your real problem.

Like everything else brakes vary enormously in their effectiveness and price is often not a good guide.  I've had cheapo discs on a £500 bike that were fabulous in every respect.  I've also has £250 discs on a £2k bike that were poor, verging on the unacceptable.  

Best of luck.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

Regardless of the cables you buy you'll need a good set of bike-specific cable snips, a file, and a braddle (sp?).

Even with bike cable snips you'll find that you'll get a rough end to the cable where you cut it and you need to file that off. The outer will also deform a fair bit so you need to stick something in the end after cutting it to get it back circular. 

As others have said, use your old outer to measure the new one. To minimise the cable crushing I always stick the old inner cable in the new outer before cutting the outer - probably doesn't make much difference if your snips are good but definitely reduces the crushing. It also means you don't end up making the newbie mistake I did and cut the new outer with the new inner installed!

Also a good time to check the calipers are aligned - just loosen off the two mounting bolts, pull the brake on hard, and retighten.

I remember being really intimidated by brake alignment and cabling and loathe to mess around with any adjustments but its pretty simple once you've done it once or twice

StraelGuy replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

Regardless of the cables you buy you'll need a good set of bike-specific cable snips, a file, and a braddle (sp?).

Bradawl yes.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
1 like

Your brakes are hydraulic by the way, so the problems may not be cable related, although they do have a cable element. The pistons may not be retracting, or the whole unit may be misaligned. Also check the pads are correctly in place, they should be held in by a locking pin or screw.

If you do replace the cable and outers, use the old one as a template for how long, how much outer to use, and where to put the cable stops etc. You will need a decent set of cutters. Any reasonable cable and outer will work, i.e jagwire or shimano.

Scoob_84 replied to Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

jterrier wrote:

Your brakes are hydraulic by the way, so the problems may not be cable related, although they do have a cable element. The pistons may not be retracting, or the whole unit may be misaligned. Also check the pads are correctly in place, they should be held in by a locking pin or screw. If you do replace the cable and outers, use the old one as a template for how long, how much outer to use, and where to put the cable stops etc. You will need a decent set of cutters. Any reasonable cable and outer will work, i.e jagwire or shimano.

I was initially worried that the issue with the brake was something more complicated as you've alluded to, but the arm part of the brake moved nice and freely after disconnecting the current cable which leads me to think the cable is at fault. 

But are you telling me the shimano ultegra grade outers i've previously ordered will be sufficient for the job? I’ve just gone and ordered some Jagwire compressionless cables earlier today off the back of the above comments. I now have two sets of brake cables on their way   Which to send back?

These?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/jagwire-universal-sport-brake-cable-k...

or These?

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Shimano/Road-Brake-PTFE-Cable-Set/RI1

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input guys - but i've already bought some Ultegra level brake cables so i guess i'll return these.

How come compressionless cables are so hard to comeby, or just ambigeous and hard to find on the retailer websites? 

The Jagwires cables are the only type i can find right now. 

PeakBoy | 6 years ago
1 like

Gear cable housings are usually compressionless (lengthways reinforcing).  Brake housings are often spiral bound and do compress.

I have Yokozuna Reaction compressionless housings on my TRP Hy/Rd brakes. Performance is greatly improved, although at a price.

Miller | 6 years ago
1 like

Contraband is correct, standard brake cable is poor for mech discs, you need compressionless. Jag wire do one, there's TRP disc connect, one or two others. Don't ignore this advice! You'll need to web search for the correct disc pad, there are loads of variants.

contrabland | 6 years ago
1 like

Wrong, there's a huge difference in performance between standard brake cables and proper compressionless ones. I got the TRP cables and they've taken out all the sponginess that I had with Shimano Ultegra cables. They're not as good as full hydraulics, but are a lot closer in feel and power.

Gear cables are compressionless, standard brake cables aren't.

dunnoh | 6 years ago
1 like

Wiggle do a load of cheap brake cables and outers.  Buy the lot.   My commuter bike gets new shifters, headset, BB, cables & outers, chains, cogs etc  every year.   Its not worth the clicking, grinding and clanking and I still spend less than a car or a metro ticket

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Rod, as i suspencted and thanks for confirming. 

Rod Marton | 6 years ago
1 like

All brake outers are compressionless - they wouldn't work very well otherwise.

Standard cables should be fine and 2500mm more than enough length for the outer. You can get a good estimate of the length by measuring your existing route with a tape measure.

The important thing is to ensure friction in the cable is minimised. So avoid any tight bends. If your brakes aren't returning properly excess friction is probably the reason, and too tight a bend the probable cause. So check your cable can move freely before you attach it to the brake.

Pads vary between different makes, so make sure you buy some which are advertised as compatible with your brakes.

Latest Comments