Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano PD-R550 Pedals

Anyone had any issues with these?

On my 2nd pair & both have now had the same issue which is a bit difficult to explain. 

Basically at the rear of the pedal there is a type of screw which seems to keep the back black bit where the adjustment screw is attached to the front. Both times this has come out & will not go back in which means that although you can engage the cleat & it stays in it's not properly engaged & your foot is slightly  loose. 

Both pairs I've had have now done this which seems a strange. Either I'm unlucky or they just aren't that great. 

This happened to anyone else?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Why not just go for the previous R540, a far more sturdy pedal, much cheaper and just 24g heavier.

Personally i use the 5700 pedal on two of my road bikes, aside from a few grams there aren't any noticeable differences to DA pedals.

ibr17xvii replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Why not just go for the previous R540, a far more sturdy pedal, much cheaper and just 24g heavier.

Personally i use the 5700 pedal on two of my road bikes, aside from a few grams there aren't any noticeable differences to DA pedals.

I had the R540 previous to these & didn't get on with them. I found the bigger surface area of the R550 much better. 

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

When the screw comes out, the cleat part drops several mm. To get it back in, push the cleat part up while tryint to tap the screw into the hole with a small hammer. You'll find a way. Next time, you could try with Loctite super glue on the screw and tap it in-like I said before. For me at least, it stopped coming out and I solved the problem.

ibr17xvii replied to Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

When the screw comes out, the cleat part drops several mm. To get it back in, push the cleat part up while tryint to tap the screw into the hole with a small hammer. You'll find a way. Next time, you could try with Loctite super glue on the screw and tap it in-like I said before. For me at least, it stopped coming out and I solved the problem.

i tried that but couldn't get the screw to budge. TBH the screw shouldn't come out at all, poor design IMO. 

Bit late now as the whole thing has snapped off now anyway. 

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
0 likes

This is exactly what have happened to mine:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13016630

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi! I've had the same issue with R550. What I use to do is lift the cleat mechanism a bit and tap the screw back. Note that after a while, it will come out again. Eventually, I ended up putting a bit of superglue and tapping it in. After that, I spent another year using them easily - until that bike got stolen.

It is a bodge that I did, but it seemed to work.

ibr17xvii replied to Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

Hi! I've had the same issue with R550. What I use to do is lift the cleat mechanism a bit and tap the screw back. Note that after a while, it will come out again. Eventually, I ended up putting a bit of superglue and tapping it in. After that, I spent another year using them easily - until that bike got stolen.

It is a bodge that I did, but it seemed to work.

Sounds like exactly the same issue but whatever I did I couldn't seem to get the screw back in.

Either way it's a bit late now anyway the back has completely snapped off no

Bit loathe to get another pair as I've had 2 with the same problem if I go higher up the Shimano range & get the 105's who's to say the same won't happen again?

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've 2 sets of these and never had an issue. But it's something I'll now check. Thanks.

Latest Comments