Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone Turtle Wax their bike?

I am considering a new bike (again.) Although it might be a best bike for some events next summer and a hill climber I will inevitably riding it in the UK in inclement conditions. I have had a look at these Hydrophobic coatings, but the technology is not well developed. They seem to work well initially but can wear off and it leaves an overall frosting effect. I am not looking to ruin a perfectly good new paint job.

So I was wondering, do any of you use any car specific products and is a car wax a good idea for keeping your frame clean and in good condition? Recommendations welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

NIrish | 6 years ago
0 likes

Scot Oiler made Universal Bike Solution which I believe has now rebranded as Flaer.

Simply wash your bike and then spray everything, with the exception of brakes. I used on a bike with disc brakes and was never particularly specific but a good wet finish and it lubes all the important bits too.

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pedro's Bike Lust is the closest I've seen that's bike-specific. Pretty good. The bottle is a bit pricey but you really don't need a lot of it in one go so it will last you a good long while.

Best used on the frame only...needless to say avoid using it on any braking surfaces and be careful with application.

Darren C | 6 years ago
0 likes

News to me, I did get mine a couple of years ago, and the products are still in stock to buy (SJS cycles for example).

Simontuck | 6 years ago
0 likes

Car shampoo and Mr Sheen if you're on a budget.

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think the answer to your question is "Yes!"  1

Ditto here for much of the above, as well as using car shampoo to clean the bike. I'm really not sure that its less aggressive or anyting, but it makes getting the bike clean a doddle.

Paul7189 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Waxes are out of date now to be honest for protection. Ceramic sealants are the best options. Apply once and it will last for 2-5 years. Creates a deep wet look and water will bead off like a wax but it lasts for years. 

hawkinspeter replied to Paul7189 | 6 years ago
1 like

Paul7189 wrote:

Waxes are out of date now to be honest for protection. Ceramic sealants are the best options. Apply once and it will last for 2-5 years. Creates a deep wet look and water will bead off like a wax but it lasts for years. 

I'm intrigued. Can you point me towards such a product?

RMurphy195 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've used the same wash/waxstuff on my bikes as I do on the car for years, never a problem. Do give the brakes a good trydry after washing though just in case the wax affected them!

huntswheelers | 6 years ago
0 likes

Customer bikes which come in get a full wash and degrease before they are serviced....while stripped to the frame the frame is cleaned and shined with a Waterless Wash & Wax.... The bikes go back looking as new then apart from repeat business, I get additional work and then when the bike comes in again.... it's so much easier to clean before service.... 

cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use car shampoo and occasionally wax. The dirt cannot stick that easy, and you feel there is a extra protection layer.

Flying Scot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Any car paint protection will do the job, and on unseen parts, don't buff it off.

Darren C | 6 years ago
0 likes

Purple Harry bike polish & frame protector, is the best I have found, it is very good and lasts for ages.

It will also make anything plastic look new again, like mudguards, etc. Also makes it easier to clean afterwards due to its waxes & silicones, much better than Turtle Wax in my opinion and made in the UK.

graybags replied to Darren C | 6 years ago
0 likes

Darren C wrote:

Purple Harry bike polish & frame protector, is the best I have found, it is very good and lasts for ages.

It will also make anything plastic look new again, like mudguards, etc. Also makes it easier to clean afterwards due to its waxes & silicones, much better than Turtle Wax in my opinion and made in the UK.

I'm afraid Purple Harry has ceased trading  2

kitkat replied to graybags | 6 years ago
1 like

graybags wrote:

Darren C wrote:

Purple Harry bike polish & frame protector ... lasts for ages.

I'm afraid Purple Harry has ceased trading  2

I think we've found a flaw in the business plan

STiG911 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Waxed with the same Meguiers Carnuba Wax I use on my car. Because shiny  4

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

Collinite 915 here. Same stuff as I use on the cars.

I only put it on the bike to make it shinier. I don't think it eases cleaning of the paint at all.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I give my old bike (shiny white/red) a coat of wax from time to time as it makes the paint much easier to wash.  As said above, its cleaning the moving parts thats more important and takes time, the paint takes about 1 minute so doesn't represent a great saving.

Don't bother coating my matt finish Argon18 with anything.

kitkat | 6 years ago
1 like

I think there is something to be said for washing with a car shampoo rather than fairy liquid as it's less aggressive. Interesting idea putting sealent on though...

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 for good quality carnuba wax polish and sealant, the dirt will not stick for months. The trick is not to overdo it.

However as Bechdan says, the important bits are those that are mechanical and difficult to get to, often requiring a partial stripdown. A well maintained bike tends to be clean as result of that maintenance.

barongreenback | 6 years ago
0 likes

Google Dodo Juice and have a look at their range. The synthetic sealants are incredible and last ages - far longer than wax based. 

MrMajic | 6 years ago
2 likes

Any high carnuba content car wax. Victoria Wax red is nice, also the Poorboys range of waxes are good too. Keeps an aero bike even more aero"er" and therefore faster. Honest. 

bechdan | 6 years ago
0 likes

i did wax my hardtail and road bike years ago to reduce the build up of crud, and it did work, however... the important bits are those that you cant wax so I havent bothered since as it was purely cosmetic, the laquer on the paintwork is already very smooth and easy to clean. I now spend less time on cosmetics and more on maintaining functional components. 
Slightly different for a steel framed bike where the integrity of the paint matters, but the wax wont help with that either.

Latest Comments