Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Varicose vien removal-how long off the bike?

Has anyone had varicose veins removed and how long it take out of your training? 

Mine are getting silly and I'm wondering if now is the right time to get the op or to leave it till I break my collar bone

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Wingnut | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi

it really depends, first of all are they causing you a problem other than looking ugh? I had them for years and raced, ran marathons did the marmotte etc. It was only when I took up nursing and stood  up for 12hours plus - you run the risk of phlebitis and dvt's which I got recently and motivated me to see the gp. Unless  it's causing you a problem it's unlikely a vascular dr will do anything about them. You can either get radiotherapy which burns them out or foam injection if there not too bad. They really don't know until they get you on the table. I ended up with foam injection which was a bit sore for an hour or two. You are encouraged to excercise gently, walk loads to keep the blood circulating. What you must NOT do is sit around . So in the grand scheme of things, maybe a week of gentle excercise, cycle gently until your ready. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

I'm not allowed on my bike for another 5 weeks - doing 100 on Sunday...

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

Seriously, ask your doc!!

. . replied to madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

madcarew wrote:

Seriously, ask your doc!!

The doc told me I'd be off the bike for two months after a minor op.  Five days later...

Leviathan | 6 years ago
1 like

What!? - Darth Vader

Do you have brittle bones 'snappy'andrew? Do you often crash and can get operations at short notice? What exactly are you training for anyway? Post a pic of the veins so we can decide.

Latest Comments