Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HELP: Should I ride tired legs?

I've told a few times (sorry) of my injury escapades on Ventoux but really need some quick advice. I'd worked hard all year to get the fitness right and felt good for MV on the 13th July. After my fall and stress fracture to the right fib and grade 4 fracture and dislocation to left shoulder, training (hate that word) has been scaled back. Shoulder operation was 21 days ago. Mostly been cadence 10/20's on the turbo.

I am riding 100 miles for Christies on Sunday so needed a psychological boost ticking past the 50 mark. I managed 53 miles on the road at 15.5mph on Saturday but it did hurt. Reckon I could have crawled an extra 10/20 clock allowing but it would have hurt.

Anyhow, feeling a bit of DOMS pain in the legs today. Last real opportunity before Sunday. Should I try and get a spinny 30-40 in or rest? Any advice appreciated because 'you know your own body' doesn't really apply. Also, I am a bit of a masochist with a hint of stupid so bottle isn't too much the problem. But if I'm likely to do damage ahead of Sunday's goal then that's to be avoided  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

Don't ride for 2 days, and then take one spinny ride before the event. You won't lose any fitness over this week, but might gain a whole bunch of recovery. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all.

CXR - the ride is for The Christie Hospial in Manchester which is my yearly charity ride, prior to my accident I was going to do it on a Chopper. Both sponsorship and being a martyr dictate that it shall be done - I'm prepared for the pain to the injuries (which are recovering nicely) it's the fitness that was worrying me.

Being stupid, I followed Saturday's 53 with a 35 yesterday at around 14.5mph and very spinny. I set off with tired legs but they came back quite well after 5 miles - my mate was able to drop me with ease and I reckon I am about 20% down on fitness.

I am confident I can suffer for long enough and am just going to psychologically break the ride down. The 50% mark will be my first stop (avoid stop one) and is only a few miles from home if things are bad. Stop 2 is at 80 miles so I can make the decision on whether I can do an extra 30 - then just survive on adrenaline for the finish.

Fingers crossed!

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Only you can say, but wouldn't it be prudent to ditch this 100 mile ride until you're more recovered? 6-7 hours in discomfort?!?

nadsta | 6 years ago
0 likes

A light spin in z2 the day before shouldn't hurt your taper. See the BC site for this kind of info. And being a masochist make sure your recovery rides are recovery pace. 

kieren_lon | 6 years ago
1 like

If I were you, I'd go light today and maybe tomorrow and taper down through the week (ie minimal light spins).  Totally agree with ibr17xvii  about having 2 full days off before the event.   Use that time to make sure you are well hydrated, fueled and rested.   

Most of us can benefit from stretching.  I'd recommend trying to find a 30 - 45 minute yoga video on youtube aimed at cyclists / runners.  While you wont realise any huge benefits in a week, it will help you to feel like you are doing something and maybe also help with sleep (as opposed to complete rest / no activity).  

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think I would do 1 or 2 very easy rides this week probably Tuesday & Thursday so I have 2 full days off the bike before Sunday.

I don't think I'd be wanting a full week off the bike then straight into a big ride.

Latest Comments