Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice on budget commuter hybrids

Hello, my bike was stolen so I'm looking for a good value replacement for commuting 5 miles per day on road, and I would very much appreciate some good advice from here. I'd like something that basically rides well and that I could expect to last 5-10 years (with regular maintenance and servicing) before it becomes not worth repairing. From what I've read, I should expect to need to pay £250+. 

A bike that seems popular in the bike shops near me is the Python Quantum 8000, which I can buy for £279. I did a test ride at a shop and it felt comfortable. It seems like decent value from what I can tell, but does anyone here have any experience with them or know much about the Python make? A friend of a friend has a used Python Quantum 8100 for sale, which is the same but with front suspension - I was wondering is front suspension on a bike at this price likely to be any use, or could it be more of a pain by adding weight and maintenance requirements?

Another shop suggested the Ridgeback Motion for £330. I also have a Decathlon in town, and was eyeing up the B'Twin Triban 500 (£260). I tried a Halfords Carrera Crossfire, but it didn't feel as good a ride as the Python. Are any of these clearly a better option than the others? Are any of the brands best avoided? 

I wouldn't mind paying more if a more expensive bike is likely to last longer and require fewer repairs, so that the cost per year is lower, if anyone has ideas that would be better value in the long run. I find it hard to tell myself what I'm paying for if I go higher in price. (Though, having had my last bike stolen, I'm not looking to pay hugely more.)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Pagw | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. captain_slog - is it possible to say how much longer lasting the Evans Pinnacle bike would be? Or how else I would experience the benefit of paying more? I'm very much trying to work out my "optimum value" price point.

captain_slog | 6 years ago
0 likes

If your budget can stretch a bit further take a look at the Pinnacle Neon 2 from Evans: lighter and with better-quality components.

Beecho | 6 years ago
0 likes

Do take a glance at Evans' ex-demo bikes. Every now and then the planets align and something you'd like appears in your frame size at a steal with only a very minor defect.

kieren_lon | 6 years ago
0 likes

The BTwin Triban 100 looks pretty versatile.  It takes tyres wide enough for light gravel, takes a rack.   That said,  the triban 500 should be faster and you can upgrade bits and bobs as you go (like wheels), new or from ebay.

Decathlon are know for good warranty and customer service.  I was going to but the 900AF but then a canondale went on sale so I got that.

Latest Comments