Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ethical Dilemma

The other week I was riding on an old railway line trail, when I came upon a chap with a rather flat rear tyre. I stopped to help as I had a repair kit. Unfortunately the tube was damaged at the valve, probably due in part to it being a 700c tube with a presta valve stuffed into a 26"mtb wheel, and was unfixable. Now here is my dilemma, I had a spare tube, of the correct size as I was on my MTB, but I did also have a further 20 miles along rough paths to go. Now as his wheel was held on with a nut, it became a moot point as we had no spanners.

Would you have helped him out with the new tube, but then be potentially stuck with a long walk.

I was meeting my family for a nights camping and would not have been able to get a lift due to the missus having already cracked into the beers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

antigee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

was meeting my family for a nights camping and would not have been able to get a lift due to the missus having already cracked into the beers.

unwritten rule in our house - all riders accounted for even if just confirming in a pub within pushing distance/got a lift  - but we both ride 

fixed quite a lot of stuff out and about - hybrids and kids bikes typically have nuts so carry a spanner just in case along with other just in case bits - if I'd had the right tube would probably have usd it and relied on patches to get home (would have to anyway after one  puncture) - think whoever said had been a genorous bodged trailside fix before hit it on the head  

Kapelmuur | 6 years ago
2 likes

During the 6 years I've been riding I've had 3 incidents where I've had to stop.

The first was a mechanical on a Sunday morning on a popular cycling route.   I was passed by at least 3 groups of riders wearing club kit, not 1 even spoke to me.

The 2nd was a puncture, again I was passed by plenty of lycra wearers and the only person to offer help was a young man wearing baggy shorts and a T shirt riding a Halford's hybrid.

The 3rd was another mechanical, this time a guy driving a white van stopped to offer help.

Next time I have a problem I hope someone from this board is passing as you seem more inclined to play the good Samaritan!

adamthekiwi | 6 years ago
3 likes

Recently came across a group of three wee bams in the Pentlands, two with punctures and no repair kits or pumps between them. They got both my spare tubes (the Mrs kept a slightly nervous eye on proceedings from a little further up the hill) and a loan of my pump to get them going. Overheard as they continued their descent and I started climbing the other way: "fuckin' love cunts like that guy, he had all the spares!"...

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
2 likes

I would've certainly have stopped to see if I could help but if I were in your position I wouldn't be dishing out the tube.

I usually only carry 1 but I do also have a Park Tools patch so would I have given him the tube if I had the patch as back up?

Depending on how far I had left to ride I probably would.

srchar | 6 years ago
2 likes

Stop for an MTB rider and get my Rapha shorts dirty fixing his puncture? I don't think so.

Woldsman | 6 years ago
1 like

Two tubes, repair outfit and - on longer, more remote rides - spare folding tyre strapped to the under seat pack for me. The bag of spanners only come out when the touring bike does, though. I wouldn't give someone my last tube. 

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

99% of the time, Yes.  And as others have said, 99% of the time I have 2 tubes with me. I've always had other options to call than just my wife if I got stuck. I have stuffed my tyres with grass and pin-needles once to get home.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm. Interesting one. 

I would always stop to offer assistance, that's a given.

I supposed a lot would depend on the position and attitude of the afflicted. If I were five miles from home and they were fifty, I'd risk it. Any more than five for me, with no public transport, and I'd think very hard - walking with my joints is a bit of a problem.

I've given my tube away on a club ride before now, and subsequently realised I'd be buggered if I had a mechanical myself, as no one else was riding the same sized tyres. I spent the rest of the ride on tenterhooks. And he didn't even buy me cake or a drink either!

I now carry two tubes on longer rides, or if I'm going out by myself.

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
3 likes

Agree with alansmurphy on this one.

I've donated tubes in the past, but not sure I would with 20 miles still to go (unless I still had another in reserve), but I always ask if they need help or to borrow tools. 

That said, with a 700c in a 26" MTB tyre it sounds like some samaratan has helped him out in the past with a 'get you home' fix which he has continued to ride around on since, rather than learning his lesson and buying a spanner and 2 new 26" tubes (one for the wheel, one as spare).

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Having given away a tube myself, I would say it depends on certain conditions.

In the instance I sacrificed an inner tube, I was only a few miles from home and there was a bike shop on the way home if I really got into trouble.

The recipient of my inner tube was also massively great fun as they were a long way from home - they insisted on giving me all their change as beer money (which added up to nearly a fiver to be fair).

I've also give a cyclist a lift home in my car when i spotted them walking along a rainy grey cold a road.

I've been in that situation before, I know how it feels - and maybe I'm just nice lol

brooksby | 6 years ago
1 like

Why would you go for a ride - any ride - without the means of removing your wheels and replacing the inner tubes in the event of the puncture fairy looking your way?

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

Why would you go for a ride - any ride - without the means of removing your wheels and replacing the inner tubes in the event of the puncture fairy looking your way?

Lack of experience would be the main reason. I'd like to think that I'd stop and donate an inner tube, especially to someone inexperienced enough to not know the benefit of preparedness.

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
5 likes

Having been the recipient of help from strangers in the past myself, I'd probably have donated the tube.

I'd like to believe in "What goes around, comes around" karma, but I'll settle for making someone elses day just a little bit less shitty.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like

As a recipient of a tube from a good cycling Samaritan a few years back, I would always give a tube. I do however always carry one tube on a group ride and two on a solo ride, and it was only cycling in Scotland that this has been inadequate.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
5 likes

Oooh tough one.

For the prosecution:

1. It's always good to help and karma is a bitch
2. You would probably have made it (probability wise)

For the defence:

1. His 'puncture' was largely his own fault
2. He was unprepared for many situations
3. You tried to help
4. He probably had less distance to cover than you
5. You were travelling to a special occasion
6. Massive inconvenience to put yourself in a good return position (sourcing another spare)

Decision:

Pedal on!

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

You couldn't have got the wheel off so as you say it's a moot point.
If you could have got the wheel off I would have helped. You had a repair kit and how many times do you get a puncture? Mine you serves the silly sausage right for not having the right kit with him.

Latest Comments