Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling Insurance

Can anyone recommned cycling insurance that includes 3rd party?  I am not really concerned about bike theft as I have secure storage at both ends of the rides.  

I'll be commuting over 125 miles a week so think some insurance would be sensible 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
0 likes

For public liability I used this company for a while before joining British Cycling;

http://www.cycleguardroadcare.co.uk/home.asp?promCode=&affid=

kieren_lon | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks.   Agree witht RMurphy, home insurance cycle insurance is not what a lot of people assume it to be.

I've had near misses on the bike and generally can avoid anything I can see but it's a numbers game and as I'll be doing more cycling some cover is welcome just in case.  Legal cover would also be useful to have backing incase I need to contest anything.   I was rear ended twice in February so moved the camera from front facing to rear facing.  Minor bumps and no further action was needed but again, the risk is small but volume increases exposure.

CUK look look on skim reading.   

Although initially I only wanted 3rd party (no theft or damage etc) reviewing some policies is making me thing maybe I should be looking for more.,  like decent in-patient cover and dental cover.  Both of those might be better served by other policies / health insurance though... 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

Home insurance normally covers you 3rd party outside your home as well as the above. CUK (Formerly CTC) is the better one to get IMHO.

RMurphy195 replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Home insurance normally covers you 3rd party outside your home as well as the above. CUK (Formerly CTC) is the better one to get IMHO.

Not quite. It's often labelled as "Public Liability", and you would have to read very carefully and perhaps check explicitly with yur insurer to see if it covers you for 3rd party risks in the same way as car insurance. I have only come across one house insurance that explicitly attaches a Public Liability clause to its cycle insurance section,  others do not even if you have to have the cycles themselves insured as an additional option on the household policy.

Sniffer | 6 years ago
2 likes

Join BC or CTC.  Automatically provides 3rd party insurance.

Latest Comments