Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which turbo trainer for all year training?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a turbo trainer for some regular training all year round, 4/5h a week.

Basically I am looking for something mid range:

• robust as I al looking to use it qutie regularly
  • easy to use / don't want to spend 10 minute to setup every time I want to use it
  • something easily configurable
  • relatively quiet as I am in an apartment

If there is a power meter built in the turbo trainer, that's a plus.

I was looking at the Kinetic Rock & Roll,  TacX Vortez Smart or the BKool Smart pro.

Do you have any comment to make on those?

And also how do you use your smart trainer regarding the configuration? If I don't want to pay every month for an app to do some intervals or specific training.... 

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Get one that you can connect to as many training apps as possible and check out the device requirements. Zwift needs quite a decent lap top or apple device to work so if you're an android user is difficult to get around. I'm not sure if they support android yet. I use trainer road and it's great for workouts.
Dcrainmaker is often connected to in posts like this - check out his site for some very in depth reviews.
I'm going to Google the zwift android thing now just in case...
Happy hunting.
I got an elite Rampa smart and love it. It's not that noisy but depends what your neighbours and you can tolerate.

Strathbean | 6 years ago
0 likes

kinetic road machine smart: in my experience its nice and quiet, solidly made, feels decent to 'ride' and is quick and easy to set up. shop around and you'll find it for about £250. It works with an app on your phone/tablet to give power readout and itll work with heart/cadence sensors etc, the app comes with various basic training sessions built in too which are free and do me just fine. I expect the rock n roll is the same, but it moves!

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

For quieter trainers, then direct drive has to be the best. Tacx Neo is the quietest on the market but pricey. Wahoo Kickr Gen 2 slightly noisier but still quiet. If you have an Wahoo Elemnt/bolt you can connect it to the Kickr for training sessions.

However the main benefit of a decent smart trainer with built in power is the interactive side, like Zwift, trainer road etc. They all cost about £8 month, so peanuts really. Link to a laptop or tablet ant+ usb dongle, connect it to the internet and away you go. Races, structured training, social rides. Also specific hill climbing the famous passes of Europe and beyond.

I have been training on a Kickr for 2 years, started with Bkool, moved into Trainer road, and then also added Zwift aswell. I have tried Road Grand tours(free currently) for high quality graphics to climb the likes of Mt. Ventoux. There are others, Zwift and trainer road being the two most popular. You can get month's free trials with almost all the platforms.

Latest Comments