Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

new Ultegra compatibility question

Anyone know if i can replace a BR-RS805 rear disc brake calliper with the new BR-R8070 one?  Seems to be hard to find the RS805 ones anywhere online now. 

SAB

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

john latimer | 6 years ago
0 likes

It will work I replaced mine with dura ace just case of bleeding up levers on other hand are different m7 thread as opposed to m6 on calipers and old levers

SteeveB replied to john latimer | 6 years ago
0 likes

john latimer wrote:

It will work I replaced mine with dura ace just case of bleeding up levers on other hand are different m7 thread as opposed to m6 on calipers and old levers

john, to be clear, you fitted dura ace callipers to replace some RS805s? Did the hose fit the calliper? It seems to be a different diameter.

SAB

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

The hose answers are correct ^ (Have looked into this in depth with a Shimano expert and Dura Ace hydro which is basically the same situation). Using the wrong hoses may make your brakes either super rigid feeling or super spongy depending on which way you get it wrong.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went through this recently fitting 685/805 hydraulic brakes. Those two hoses are slightly different diameters. The BH59 is the older, slightly wider bore and  uses the olive and brass end fitting kit whereas the BH90 is the newer, narrower standard and uses the olive and silver end fitting kit.

SteeveB replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

I went through this recently fitting 685/805 hydraulic brakes. Those two hoses are slightly different diameters. The BH59 is the older, slightly wider bore and  uses the olive and brass end fitting kit whereas the BH90 is the newer, narrower standard and uses the olive and silver end fitting kit.

So, i would need to put in new brake hoses. That probably means the levers will need the BH90  hoses, so i would have to change them too.  So then the Ultegra disc brake callipers arent a replacement for the 805s. 

I wonder if you can make the BH59 hose fit. More digging!

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

According to this Shimano compatibility chart it appears you can. Click on caliper model to compare specs.  http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.7?cid=C-460&acid=C-461

SteeveB replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

According to this Shimano compatibility chart it appears you can. Click on caliper model to compare specs.  http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.7?cid=C-460&acid=C-461

that is a good chart. There is lots of info in there. Good find!

SteeveB replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

Hmm, when i look at the chart everything seems to be the same except for the hose. My RS805 uses an SM-BH59 hose, but the new ultegra R8070 uses SM-BH90. Not sure what the difference is. Need to do more digging.

Latest Comments