Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Watchfinder Adverts

I thought we were done with these after the Tour but no, they're back for La Vuelta highlights

Does anybody else get annoyed with these?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think the watchfinder ads are excellent.  Saves me going into Can'tphone Swearhouse to see what the sales staff are wearing.

NJA | 6 years ago
4 likes

I thought that they were terrible, but then I saw the Alpecin advert on Eurosport with the shouty guy on the team bus. 

Now that is an all time low.

dottigirl replied to NJA | 6 years ago
0 likes
NJA wrote:

I thought that they were terrible, but then I saw the Alpecin advert on Eurosport with the shouty guy on the team bus. 

Yep. That one makes me cringe, and scramble for the remote to FF asap.
I ignore the Watchfinder ads, they don't bother me.

gonedownhill replied to NJA | 6 years ago
0 likes

NJA wrote:

They really are focussing on their hair above all, that's why they've got absolutely bobbins results this year!

fenix replied to NJA | 6 years ago
3 likes
NJA wrote:

I enjoy the alpecin advert !

The watch one is crap but if you were wearing a 10000 pound watch you'd probably be going easy too..
Also explains why he can't afford a better bike.

They've thought about this.

Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

Adverts are supposed to be memorable, therefore they they are likely to be annoying. But they are a necessary part of bringing content to your screen.

Perhaps you could consciously try to see it for what it is and be a bit less annoyed by incredibly insignificant things like a telly advert. You could mute it or walk out of the room for 3 minutes. Or maybe ask yourself whether there is something else that is really bothering you. This happens to virtually everyone, I have found myself getting annoyed about something really trivial but what was really bothering me was something else entirely.

jasecd replied to Simon E | 6 years ago
2 likes

Simon E wrote:

Perhaps you could consciously try to see it for what it is and be a bit less annoyed by incredibly insignificant things like a telly advert. 

Well, it's relative - I'm not screaming at TV, just surprised at how bad and cheaply made they are.

It seems like they have identified their target market has large numbers of cycling fans so all they need to do is spend a couple of hundred quid on some extremely poorly shot idents of a guy rolling around on an entry level bike. 

Also I would watch on Eurosport but I only subscribe during the classics and the giro, when I can't get cycling anywhere else.

psling | 6 years ago
2 likes

The irony of an advertisement for something to measure time provoking a reaction from people who really do need to be reminded that life is too short...

arckuk | 6 years ago
5 likes

It's cringeworthy. They managed to find the lowest-spec bike they could - it looks like Sora or Claris - nothing against those, but it's an ad targeted at bike enthusiasts. Then they stuck middle-aged-non-action-man on top and got him to cycle at less than 5 mph on a terrible piece of tarmac. The equivalent would be to show someone with a fancy watch getting into their Nissan Micra and pulling out of a side road into a traffic jam before coverage of the F1!

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Which is the advert where they're walking the bike wearing cleatless cycling shoes?

Jack Osbourne snr replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like
don simon wrote:

Which is the advert where they're walking the bike wearing cleatless cycling shoes?

Ah... But if Heineken made cleats they'd be the... Oh hang on...

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Anyone noticed the Heineken ad where the drive train magically starts on the right side of the bike, jumps to the left side and then back again?

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Watch the highlights on Eurosport, not ITV4 - problem solved

beezus fufoon replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

CygnusX1 wrote:

except that the eurosport adverts are almost all featuring imbeciles talking (or singing dodgy opera) about cars, car insurance, or selling cars!

Yorkshire wallet replied to beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
3 likes

beezus fufoon wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

except that the eurosport adverts are almost all featuring imbeciles talking (or singing dodgy opera) about cars, car insurance, or selling cars!

Did you not know that Eurosport is an adverts channel that plays sport in the breaks?

jollygoodvelo replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

beezus fufoon wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

Did you not know that Eurosport is an adverts channel that plays sport in the breaks?

Don't forget the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv adverts.

don simon fbpe replied to jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

beezus fufoon wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

Don't forget the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv adverts.

Shir Elmaliach.

You're welcome.

MartyMcCann | 6 years ago
4 likes

"Fred, we can't work out how to actually shoot this in slow motion, so if you could move like an arthtiric greyhound then we should get away with it..."

Latest Comments