Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheels

I am going to get some new Wheels for my cyclo-cross/gravel bike and being 100kg I'll be looking for 32 spoke 3 cross for strength. Not too bothered about weight as I could do with losing a bit myself. They need to be disc wheels and centre lock is preferable as are bolt thru axles.  So far in my searches I gave narrowed it down to either the  Kinesis crosslight CX Disc HD or a set of JRA 's new MAP wheelset with an upgrade to the Pacenti Forza rims.

Does the road cc collective have any other suggestions for a robust wheelset that meet the criteria that I may be missing out on? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd have a chat with a wheelbuilder. Malcom at the Cycle Clinic knows his stuff. 

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Charliem - thanks for the info I'll have a good look at those over the weekend. Having also been in the local Evans they'll also build some wheels. I'm torn between a local wheelbuild with the ease of popping in with any issues or the on line order.... Hmmmm.

charliem | 6 years ago
0 likes

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/product/big-fella-disc/

https://www.moonglu.com/products/handbuilt-hope-rs4-on-dt-swiss-r511-db-...

or

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/h-plus-son-the-hydra-wheelset-disc-brake-wheelset

not sure about the nipples on the hydra build but I'm sure you can spec brass ones. I've got the rim brake version of the strada wheelset and they're bombproof. 

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the suggestions but neither are 32 spoke and the novotechs have alloy nipples which in my experience causes grief with seized nipples after a good year of use..

Looks like JRA.

kevvjj | 6 years ago
1 like
Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

If you have a good local wheelbuilder it might be worth consulting them. They'd help you avoid hard-to-replace components and would probably offer a free tune up after a few weeks (as well as more serious repairs without the hassle of posting the things).

Redvee replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

Duncann wrote:

If you have a good local wheelbuilder it might be worth consulting them. They'd help you avoid hard-to-replace components and would probably offer a free tune up after a few weeks (as well as more serious repairs without the hassle of posting the things).

I had a wheel I built rebuilt by a local wheelbuilder and although I did pay a fair whack for his labour and parts the money has been worth it. Dropped the rear wheel in last September and a 2 spokes broke in early April so he rebuilt the wheel with new spokes and nipples and the wheel has been spot on ever since. I do have a look now and again to see if it's out of true but it is still perfectly true despite riding with a pannier bag over the wheel and 15 stone of rider over the saddle.

Latest Comments