Home

I recently purchase a set of used 2015 Cosmic Carbone SLS wheels but upon checking them i notice a small crack on the carbon section. Since the spokes are attached to the aluminum part, will i be able to ride just fine? will this be an issue riding?

please advise, 

10 comments

speedlogic56 [5 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Please advice, thanks. 

0 likes

Side view of the crack

Richard1982 [75 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

FyberLite or somewhere might be able to fix them. I snapped a frame in half and they fixed it no problem. As it is I wouldn't be riding on it.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.fibre-...

VeloUSA [195 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Stop riding on the wheel and get it repaired. Not a good idea to continue riding when the crack is next to a spoke hole.

bauchlebastart [122 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

The carbon section is only a faring and as such is non structural, you'll  be fine riding it. If your still worried take the tyre off and inspect the Aluminium rim

wycombewheeler [1141 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
bauchlebastart wrote:

The carbon section is only a faring and as such is non structural, you'll  be fine riding it. If your still worried take the tyre off and inspect the Aluminium rim

+1

davel [1597 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
wycombewheeler wrote:
bauchlebastart wrote:

+1

+2: agree, but I'd still rather have someone else try it and report back.

0 likes
wycombewheeler wrote:
bauchlebastart wrote:

+1

Thats what i thought, since the carbon is not part at all of the sructure, the wheel should be fine. Also, the wheel is very true like like a brand new one. How much air you guys think i should put? 110 or 120 psi?

sergius [447 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Air pressure depends somewhat on your weight, I weigh 65kg and generally run at 85-90PSI (which is probably a bit high).

Even though the carbon fairing isn't structural, I'd still do something (tape/glue) to try and prevent the crack getting any bigger.

0 likes
sergius wrote:

Air pressure depends somewhat on your weight, I weigh 65kg and generally run at 85-90PSI (which is probably a bit high).

Even though the carbon fairing isn't structural, I'd still do something (tape/glue) to try and prevent the crack getting any bigger.

I am 81kg and my bike is 56cm (Large). Definitely i will try to get the carbon fixed.

I live in Miami Florida (USA)

thanks,