Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fitting 4 year old Campagnolo Veloce to a new frame

After a recent failure of my Mderckx EMX1 the Merckx company have sent me a brand new Sallanches 64 frame.  Whilst this is very nice of them it has caused some issues.   Obviously time has moved on and Merckx now supply all their bikes with Shimano.  So compatabiliy issues exist between my old groupset and the new frame.  There are three main issues

1. Seat tube diameter - no big deal I need to buy a new seat tube.

2. My front mech is band on but the new frame has a hanger - can I modify the old mech or do I need to buy a new one?

3. bottom bracket - I'm really at a loss here.  The new frame has a  50mm diameter shell which is also wider at approx 80mm than the old one.  assuming I buy a new BB will I be able to use my old crank and do I need adapters etc?

sorry if these questions seem stupid but I've never done this sort of bike build before

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Dr Livingstone | 6 years ago
0 likes

checked the mech - just band on - new one abut £28 so not terrible

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Dr Livingstone | 6 years ago
0 likes
Dr Livingstone wrote:

checked the mech - just band on - new one abut £28 so not terrible

Front mechs are without doubt the only cycling components that offer consistently reasonable value for money... Except the motorised ones!

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

Some of my band-on mechs were actually braze-on with an adapter band fitted - I just needed to unscrew the band part. Worth checking?

Good luck - sounds like a nice build.

0 likes

Thanks Jack, that is tremendously helpful

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
2 likes

1. Correct - you need a new seat post
2. You can't turn a band on mech without masses of uneconomical re-engineering. Your only viable option is a braze-on.
3. Your new frame has a BB 86 shell. Assuming that you've got the powertorque Veloce chainset, you need a set of Campagnolo BB86 Power torque cups. If youre new to building a bike from scratch, get a shop to supply and fit them for you as press fit bottom brackets can be challenging.

Everything else should just bolt on without added fettling.

1 like

problem 2 sorted - I need to buy a new braze-on front mech

Latest Comments