Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Manslaughter for killing a vulnerable road user?

Should those in charge of a vehicle involved in a fatal collision face manslaughter charges? Many here argue they should, well it's happening:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40927791

If only this charging approach was consistently applied to all vehicle operators.

Discuss...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

This is a lesson for all of us, that the road is one of the most scary please an individual will be into. It is one of the killing zone that causes a lot of people have died the same case as her. We should be very careful next time whenever we cross the road dump or stop anything, distructions or whatever whenever you cross the road, because we never know whats coming.

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

A lesson to learn:

You ought not to cross the road while using your mobile phone.

wycombewheeler | 6 years ago
1 like

I would be a lot mire comfortable with the issue if the headlines had been about cycling without a brake rather than 20mph cyclist which we have all been told for years is a safe speed to aspire to in urban areas "20s plenty" and all that.

Internet Pawn | 6 years ago
1 like

One of the charges here is 'wanton and furious cycling', which is exactly the same offence as 'wanton and furious driving'.  What are the chances of a car driver doing 20mph being charged under this section?

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

"If only this charging approach was consistently applied to all vehicle operators."

Had those other vehicle operators deliberately removed legally-required brakes then you might find that a similar approach to charging applied.

brooksby replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

Duncann wrote:

"If only this charging approach was consistently applied to all vehicle operators."

Had those other vehicle operators deliberately removed legally-required brakes then you might find that a similar approach to charging applied.

Is a closer analogy when HGVs don't have the legally recommended anti blind spot mirrors?

Dnnnnnn replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Duncann wrote:

Is a closer analogy when HGVs don't have the legally recommended anti blind spot mirrors?

Is "legally recommended" a thing? Surely the law requires, rather than recommends?

Woldsman | 6 years ago
1 like

I think we should remember that this is an ongoing trial in a UK court. I would imagine that the story will soon make its way to the news section of road.cc where it will appear - as it does on the BBC's web site - with comments switched off.  

brooksby replied to Woldsman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Woldsman wrote:

I think we should remember that this is an ongoing trial in a UK court. I would imagine that the story will soon make its way to the news section of road.cc where it will appear - as it does on the BBC's web site - with comments switched off.  

Isnt this just discussing it and the issues around it?: "water cooler moment " and all that. 

Woldsman replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Woldsman wrote:

Isnt this just discussing it and the issues around it?: "water cooler moment " and all that. 

I'm fairly sure that threads like this get deleted for ongoing trials.  I suppose we could err on the side of caution and discuss the matter around an actual water cooler. But, hey, I'm no expert. 

Latest Comments