Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta Young Rider Classification

Reading through the Vuelta Rule Book it appears that there is a Young Rider Classification this year.

Will this be included in the competition?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Moist von Lipwig | 6 years ago
0 likes

That is one awful trophy they give out on the podium for this, it looks like Yates is getting a spirograph set, one piece at a time.

Condor Andy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'll check the spreadsheet.

Done! They were missing, but now they're not.  I was away at the weekend so didn't do the scoring, might have been some confusion our end.

tony kappler | 6 years ago
0 likes

To cgipryan; No one seems to mention the YR award, but the red number signifying it was clearly on Alaphippe's back on stage 3. Have to just look for the highest ranked Yates.

Jungels probably needs an extra 5 points on stage 1 for being the highest ranked YR.

0 likes

His young riders award was added.  He got 3 points on the stage and 4 for GC, plus his 5 for young riders. So 12 is accurate.

figus replied to Condor Andy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

His young riders award was added.  He got 3 points on the stage and 4 for GC, plus his 5 for young riders. So 12 is accurate.

Is that so?

I think the stage was won by lampaert, his teammate - are we awarding 5 bonus for members of the same team?

If we are, to my mind, alaphilippe should have scored 3 points on the stage and 4 for GC, plus his 5 for young rider, plus his 5 for teammate.

So 12 is not accurate.

figus | 6 years ago
0 likes

See above

figus | 6 years ago
0 likes

In the competition notes it clearly states that 5 points will be awarded to the rider born after 1 jan 1992 who is highest on gc. That is alaphilippe, therefore he should score 17 points today. Why is there any debate about this? 

cgipryan | 6 years ago
0 likes

So, is this scored or not? 'cause I don't find information on any young riders classificationt on lavuelta website, so if it is scored I think we should be clued in on where to look for the info...

0 likes

Cheers guys, good info.  There still won't be a jersey though, or will there? If there is a jersey, then we'll score 5-1, if not, then we might stick with the 'award' option.  I guess we'll see what happens when the race starts.

MinardiM189 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pro Cycling Stats said that they will be showing the Vuelta has introduced a new Young Rider Classification - https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/898254380364742656

and they have produced a list of eligible.

tony kappler | 6 years ago
0 likes

Interestingly, the Vuelta website says "youngest rider of the general classification at the end of each stage", not the highest ranked YR in the GC. Very sloppy wording.  So Kamna should be worth 5 points every day.

I also note that the betting shows a "young rider classification" (not "award" as stated in the Vuelta website), which might imply there will be a daily classification list, (which I assume will also be worth 5,4, 3,2,1 in road.cc if it comes to pass).  Have to wait and see.

JAndrewHill | 6 years ago
0 likes

I suggest you pick Simon. 

But is that because I'm picking Adam???

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Excellent.  Now, which Yates brother will it be...  1

1 like

It's in  1

MinardiM189 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Personally I think  young rider points make competitions more interesting as it adds another level of complexity to the game.

So I would vote for including this for the Vuelta

0 likes

It's not a jersey per se, it's a daily award for the best young rider in the GC.  If there's enough consensus then we can score it in the same vein as the combative.  A one rider points award of 5, in keeping with the usual young riders classification, but not awarding points for the top 5 riders.

Latest Comments