Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Deliberately hit by a driver, what next?

Hi all

I was deliberately hit by a driver on Sunday who swerved into me.  I was in the 2nd lane going straight ahead with the 1st lane for turning left.  After honking his horn and attempting a few dodgy but failed attempts to overtake he moved slightly into the 3rd lane and swerved into me, traffic was busy as  we were entering a town centre. 

I took photos as he drove away (he didn't stop), I managed to stay upright.  After I stopped 2 witnesses approached me and told me they had seen him deliberately drive into me, I got their details.

I called 101 once home and told them what happened, they put an observation out on his car and told me to report to a police station on Monday.  

I went to the 'police station' spoke to a non-police officer who filled in a traffic form, told me to go to the doctors as it would help them and was told an officer wold be in touch to take a statement.

I went to the doctors, who weren't interested once I told them it was a bruise and some whiplash and said it is the police's responsibility to give me a medical for prosecution purposes. 

I am yet to hear from the officer- does any one know how long I should be waited until I kick up a fuss?  Surely the sooner the better?  Will they visit the driver without my statement, to look at any damage to his car? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

"How do you keep an idiot in suspense?"

Seriously though, do all you can, but don't hold your breath.

Supers79 replied to ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

"How do you keep an idiot in suspense?"

i have serious doubts he would even remember the incident! 

adamthekiwi | 6 years ago
0 likes

I would contact your MP immediately, and raise this with them. This is an (alledged - from the Police's point of view) assault, and the police should be treating it as such. Contacting your MP may put some pressure on them to act before the NIP window closes.

Keep a note of all interaction with the police - verbal and written.

Supers79 replied to adamthekiwi | 6 years ago
0 likes

adamthekiwi wrote:

I would contact your MP immediately, and raise this with them. This is an (alledged - from the Police's point of view) assault, and the police should be treating it as such. Contacting your MP may put some pressure on them to act before the NIP window closes.

Keep a note of all interaction with the police - verbal and written.

Someone called me back just after I'd written the post this morning.  Apparently the procedure they are following is the correct one, the form that was filled in on Monday will be processed and passed on to an officer to deal with.  Usually they would deal with it the next day, however they are very stretched and don't have enough resources.  He has assured me they are treating it as more than a simple collision, which the operator this morning claimed, and to sit tight until I'm contacted again.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

They've got 14 days to get a NIP to him so keep the pressure up. Or you can issue a private NIP if you don't think they'll er, follow through. Low priority as you weren't injured so they probably won't.

Supers79 replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

They've got 14 days to get a NIP to him so keep the pressure up. Or you can issue a private NIP if you don't think they'll er, follow through. Low priority as you weren't injured so they probably won't.

Thanks, I kept up the pressure this morning to be told that it was being dealt with as a box ticking excerise as they had classed it as a general road collision.  

The lady on the phone was surprised when I told her he had done this deliberately, it was a hit and run and I had a witness, she looked this up on the system to find I had already told them this.  

I get now why cyclists are get so annoyed with the police, I really don't think they have the training or the systems to deal with a cyclist being hit.  This is despite the police round here doing a big number on close passes.  

She has now made an appointment for an officer to visit, but not until Friday.  By this point the driver could easily have repaired any scratches on his car.

Latest Comments