Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rapha by George

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/rapha-to-be-bought-by-grandsons-of-the-...

That's got to smart a bit.

Cue vociferous defending.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

59 comments

NorthEastJimmy replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
3 likes

don simon wrote:

You want it explaining again?  FFS!

If you don't even understand the point from a very, very, very simple title then I ain't going to do it for you.

Chao!

Wow, calm down Simon.  If anyone needs to grow up here, it's you.  I also could do with some clarification about what you actually mean by your original statement, although I'm guessing that even you don't know what you're arguing about.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
3 likes

To bring things somewhere back near a topic Don, who do you see it smarting, why and when?

3 likes

Why are people only looking at their relation to Walmart, because it's the biggest? They wouldn't buy a large 'exclusive' manufacturer to suddenly want to sell shirts at a fifth of the cost...

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
3 likes

Last quarter Walmart's total revenue was $118.8 (£ 91.2866) billion. Just think if RZC Investments took 1% of that money and put into expanding Ralpha, lower mfg cost, and maintain product quality how it would make Ralpha accessible for many.

don simon fbpe replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

Last quarter Walmart's total revenue was $118.8 (£ 91.2866) billion. Just think if RZC Investments took 1% of that money and put into expanding Ralpha, lower mfg cost, and maintain product quality how it would make Ralpha accessible for many.

I suspect that lowering the manufacturing costs won't actually maintain product quality (it never does in the long run) and making Rapha accessible for many is exactly my point and glad you got it.

Rapha is an expensive and relatively exclusive brand which is about to be made cheaply for the masses. Current customer base will move onto the next exclusive brand.

Leviathan replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
5 likes

don simon wrote:

VeloUSA wrote:

I suspect that lowering the manufacturing costs won't actually maintain product quality (it never does in the long run) and making Rapha accessible for many is exactly my point and glad you got it.

Rapha is an expensive and relatively exclusive brand which is about to be made cheaply for the masses. Current customer base will move onto the next exclusive brand.

Don, I don't know why you keep digging a hole for yourself. The people who bought Rapha are not Walmart or Asda, it won't change Rapha's market positioning. Your OP said it had to 'smart' as in to hurt, as if the owner/founder was hurt by being given millions of pounds because the money might be associated with 'downmarket' brands. No amount of post-rationalisation is going to change your sneering opening comment.

don simon fbpe replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Leviathan wrote:

don simon wrote:

VeloUSA wrote:

Don, I don't know why you keep digging a hole for yourself. The people who bought Rapha are not Walmart or Asda, it won't change Rapha's market positioning. Your OP said it had to 'smart' as in to hurt, as if the owner/founder was hurt by being given millions of pounds because the money might be associated with 'downmarket' brands. No amount of post-rationalisation is going to change your sneering opening comment.

Except the bit where you've totally misunderstood the point, yet still steamroller on in your error. I ain't digging a hole, friend, it's you. Even after it's been spelled out for you. 

Leviathan replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
5 likes

don simon wrote:

quack, quack. 

Nice back pedalling. Fine, you said so little in the first place, you can say you meant something else. It just seems other people agree with me, you are a snob, own it.

don simon fbpe replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Leviathan wrote:

don simon wrote:

quack, quack. 

Nice back pedalling. Fine, you said so little in the first place, you can say you meant something else. It just seems other people agree with me, you are a snob, own it.

Play thye ball, not the man.

Unfortunately you made a mistake, there is no backpedalling by me as my position hasn't changed. You misunderstood and decided to have a pop at me.  I do accept your apology, in all its grace, though. That little misquote up there.... Come back when you've grown up.

VeloUSA replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
2 likes

don simon wrote:

VeloUSA wrote:

Worldwide, manufacturers have moved to overseas production to lower manufacturing costs whether it be bike frames, parts, accessories, or clothing. Product quality has not diminished, that is, unless you're buying the lower end of their line where quality is second nature to pricing.

Whether current customer base moves onto the next exclusive brand is up for speculation as we don't know if RZC will leave Rapha alone as an exclusive brand run by their management team, or chose the path of mass market.

We can speculate all we want, the proof will be in the pudding in the next couple of years when we, as consumers, see what Rapha is producing. Until then I wait and not speculate.

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
3 likes

Surely this should read "By George its Rapha", still can't justify their cost IMO

drosco | 6 years ago
2 likes

Riff Rapha.

1 like

I reckon you wear cycling tops with dragons on them  3

Nick T | 6 years ago
0 likes

Is this like when everyone laughed at Lamborghini drivers because VW bought them

don simon fbpe replied to Nick T | 6 years ago
0 likes

Nick T wrote:

Is this like when everyone laughed at Lamborghini drivers because VW bought them

Yes, a little bit. Lambo used to be a marque of distinction and seldom seen except on posters. For the love of god, we've even got them up north.  So yes, another devalued brand.

DoctorFish replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
3 likes

don simon wrote:

Nick T wrote:

Yes, a little bit. Lambo used to be a marque of distinction and seldom seen except on posters. For the love of god, we've even got them up north.  So yes, another devalued brand.

The tractor manufacturer

don simon fbpe replied to DoctorFish | 6 years ago
0 likes

DoctorFish wrote:

don simon wrote:

Nick T wrote:

The quality tractor manufacturer

Fixed.

Yorkshire wallet replied to Nick T | 6 years ago
5 likes
Nick T wrote:

It's just like that. I bought a Hyundai instead of the Lambo.

davel | 6 years ago
1 like

Supa, dahling.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hello drivel. Alright mate?

davel | 6 years ago
13 likes

I think the main complaint concerns your low quality post.

0 likes

So I'm against high priced, high quality gear, or low priced, low quality, or both?

Or am I against high priced, high quality being purchased where we know that they'll immediately start looking at reducing manufacturing costs and retail costs, thusly devaluing the brand.

Or are they saying that they have no idea whether I ride in expensive quality gear, or whether I have cheaper, lower quality gear, therefore can't possibly have an opinion

I don't think they have a clue what they're complaining about and I don't care.

3 likes

Don, I think they're suggesting that the prejudice of Rapha (over price, high quality) versus the George clothing (cheap, variable quality) is the angle you took.

I'm with the others here, they've purchased that brand to maintain it in the position it is in. As others suggest, the Mike Ashley angle would ha e been worse. I have some nice, well made firetrap and diesel items from when they were a 'designer' brand, I can't wear them now because they are chav uniform...

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes
madcarew | 6 years ago
4 likes

Genuinely, What would smart, and why? I'm looking for something hidden I can't see. Seems like a good transaction for the founders of the company, and the 2 Waltons are no chumps, so they've probably done their homework and seen value...

Side note, a friend of mine worked for them for about 5 years building mountain bike tracks on private estates they buy. He's had an awesome job, being shipped around the Americas to build tracks.

Danger Dicko | 6 years ago
3 likes

I'm trying to work out the joke.

Kadinkski | 6 years ago
3 likes

What smarts a bit? Seems like a good price to me.

0 likes

You'll have to explain my prejudices to me. I'm not sure what they are, but you obviously know.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
6 likes

Umm, I'm no Raphaista, but I don't see what's funny. Rich foreign person buys company, not news. Wal-mart bought Asda, remember, not the other way. And this says it is an investment fund; it's not like Mike Ashley bought it. Your mocking says more about your own prejudices. 

Pages

Latest Comments