Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help! - Cannondale Slate sizing dilemma

Hi,

First of all, appologies for yet another boring sizing post.

I have quite a nice dilemma!

I've fallen for the Cannondale Slate but i'm unsure about the size.

I took the Large for a spin yesterday and it was great (see pics)...

But the seat post was pretty high, and the postition felt a smidge aggressive.

The 2017's are quite scarce at the moment, but I've found a company who can courier me an XL. This will involve al of the added faffing of taking delivery, building it up etc (admittedly fun), sending it back if it doesnt fit etc.

So I was hoping to turn to your goodselves to see what you thought of my position on the Large.

The chap at EVANS was kind enough to take a few snaps for me (comments of fit only please - I know that the chubby riders needs work!)

https://flic.kr/p/WaNtuV

https://flic.kr/p/W8pmwW

I'm a smidge under 6'2 with a 35" inseam

I'll be using the bike as a tourer/commuter/adventure bike.

Mainly on roads but with the occasional diversion on to tow-paths/fire roads.

My current bikes are 60" Condor Fratello and a 61" BMC - both of which I'm very happy with.

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to yout thoughts

Jim

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

txtrailz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hey Jim-

I know you ended up bailing on the Slate in the end, for unideal fit. I feel close to your scenario. Same inseam (35”), except I’m 6’1” in height vs 6’2”. Seemingly same leg length (per inseam), so maybe just 1” shorter upper body. I’ll be using the bike the same way. Short (1.5 mi) city commute to work. And some weekend packed dirt city paths. Nothing extreme. I’m looked to find a used Slate. XLs are harder to find than Larges. But my gut says XL is right. In the end if you had stuck with it, I wonder which way you’d go? Large or XL in end? Reco for me, from your vantage point and experience trying?

Thanks!

lukasmotan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Good afternoon,

I would like to buy a Slate for my new bike. But I am not sure about size. I am 181cm with 84cm inseam. I don’t have much experience with road type bikes and I already driven L size Slate and I felt it is little longer. Do you think it is just me not being used to road bike or I should have M size rather? 

I really appreciate any help, thank you!

Lukas (CZECH REP.)

Jimboakimbo replied to lukasmotan | 6 years ago
0 likes

lukasmotan wrote:

I am 181cm with 84cm inseam.

Lukas,

I'd forget about the Large and try and test a Medium. It should work well for you.

Pavel1983 replied to lukasmotan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi, how does the M size work for you? I am 179 cm and I tried L size and feel incomfortable. 

shandyside replied to Pavel1983 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Pavel

The Medium size might suit you better, I'm 181cm with 84cm inseam and I found the size suits myself better. Granted arm length and torso length play a part. Don't look too much into the reviews about gearing or tyres, as Yes, the semi-compact may not suit some folk and there's tyres for all occasions out there, and as you can get some great half price deals at the moment, spending £60 on tyres doesn't hit the wallet too bad. To be fair, the slick tyres are capable off everything apart from heavy mud.
Check out bike24 for schwalbe g ones or surly knards
Don't know why, but I love my Slate!

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Oh no, but correct decision in every way. I'm hoping my slate will replace the Specialized gravel bike that I got a couple of years ago that I always felt was an inch or two too small (despite what any charts would say). Still a good bike and with a 15 yr old and 12 yr old may well introduce them to road.

Put in for my C2W voucher yesterday so playing bike shop roulette at the moment. Wheelbase have the Apex 1 at 350 more than the 105 and also want to charge 100 on the voucher, nightmare...

Jimboakimbo | 6 years ago
1 like

*** UPDATE ***

Rode the XL and found the only way to get a decent position was to angle the bars backwards. This made riding on the drops awkward.

I took another look at the Large and although it was a nice ride, The shop had set the seat WAY above the safe limit. I know I could have found a super long seat post, but I'd sooner spend 2k on a bike that fits me in the first place.

So after a lot of faffing, I've decided to go with my head and not my heart (still love the looks) and give the 2017 Slate a miss.

shufflingb | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm a similar 6' 2" build, 34.5" inseam and ride a lot off-road on a XL Grade.  I love the bike, but if I was buying something similar again I would be aiming to get a Large. From my pov, If the Large fit is close then it'd be pretty easy to make the bike a bit bigger and the advantages of a smaller frame are worth having, especially off-road [0].   

[0] Lighter and easier to hustle frame, reduced standover and the extra exposed post gives you a bit more comfort (or the opportunity to easily fit a Thudbuster LT  (or similar) should you want something a bit more)

Jimboakimbo replied to shufflingb | 6 years ago
0 likes

shufflingb wrote:

I'm a similar 6' 2" build, 34.5" inseam and ride a lot off-road on a XL Grade.  I love the bike, but if I was buying something similar again I would be aiming to get a Large. From my pov, If the Large fit is close then it'd be pretty easy to make the bike a bit bigger and the advantages of a smaller frame are worth having, especially off-road [0].   

[0] Lighter and easier to hustle frame, reduced standover and the extra exposed post gives you a bit more comfort (or the opportunity to easily fit a Thudbuster LT  (or similar) should you want something a bit more)

Thanks for this.

TBH most of my riding is going to be on road, and I think the XL is going to provide a more comfortable position.

At the moment that's where i'm leaning, but i'll keep an open mind until i've sat on one.

I'll let you know once I've had a go.

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
0 likes

that L looks very small for you.

Similar height-inside leg as you and have ridden everything from a 58-62+l/XL, and find im at the upper end of the bike sizes.

Still have to laugh at a young chap in Evans who suggested a 56 with a longer stem, who wouldnt have it that it was the wrong size for me, and no matter how long the stem it was the wrong size bike. Ime a small bike wont ever be right even with a long stem as its the toptube thats too short, and that cant be changed.

i would consider the xl

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm getting a Slate too hopefully, how did it ride?

Jimboakimbo replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

alansmurphy wrote:

I loved it. It's much lighter than I was expecting and handled beautifully. After the first couple of minutes you completely forget about the crazy fat tyres.

I know we shouldnt let these things sway us, but it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

That fork is insane.

alansmurphy replied to Jimboakimbo | 6 years ago
0 likes
Jimboakimbo wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

I loved it. It's much lighter than I was expecting and handled beautifully. After the first couple of minutes you completely forget about the crazy fat tyres.

I know we shouldnt let these things sway us, but it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

That fork is insane.

Good to hear. Now could you just put an official looking letter in the post to inform my other half that this is the ONLY safe bike for commuting in Cheshire  1

jaysa | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've not ridden a Slate, but looking at the geometry, an XL will give you no more stack, just 1.4cm more reach, so if you're expecting to bend down less, an XL wouldn't help. The rear triangle looks the same, and they've just lengthened the front of the bike on the XL, so you'll also get a whopping 2.8cm less standover height (probably ok if you're 6ft2in), and 1.4cm more wheelbase, which will stretch you out and slow the handling a little. The seat post being pretty high may be good if it gives you more shock resistance. Was the saddle at the front or the rear of the rails in these pics?

I'm not going to try and judge which is best for you, because I'd need to see you riding really.

Have you ruled out just changing the stem to longer and/or more upright - or is the Slate stem custom?

HTH!

Jimboakimbo replied to jaysa | 6 years ago
0 likes

jaysa wrote:

Was the saddle at the front or the rear of the rails in these pics?

Have you ruled out just changing the stem to longer and/or more upright - or is the Slate stem custom?

HTH!

Thanks for this - the stem isn't a standard size but I believe that alternatives are out there. 

From your calculations I am inclined towards the XL. Stand over wasn't an issue and I think the extra length would hep straighten out my wrists.

The seat was almost right back (I think there was around 10mm left)

Good to know about the lack of stack though!

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm no expert but I agree with what I think you also think ie it looks a smidge small.

Latest Comments