Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

headset replacement

Hello.

It's time to replace the headset in my bike but i have a query. I should replace the crown race in the fork or can avoid this job? The headset that the bike has already is a noname the new headset is FSA.

Thank you in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

I took the risk and hold the old crown race, seems to work fine. I will test it in the real world very soon.

Thank you all for your time!

kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

I cannot believe that two bike shops couldn't remove that crown race! I think you should name and shame them - pathetic. The video link you posted is all you need to do to remove it - then find another (decent) bike shop to install the new race. However, before doing this I would 'suck it and see' - assemble with the current race and test ride.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

A quick and easy way to fit a new race, is get a piece of plumbing pipe. Run a saw through the diameter to create a 2" slot. Heat up the new race in the oven, drop it quickly onto tube upend forks and with plumbing tube bash it into place.

Getting old race off , I've found a dremel to cut through most it then gently ease off

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

I made the test no site to site play to be honest i feel more play in old bearings. What worries my is that the bottom of the old bearing is slightly conical compared to the new. I mean the inner wall (colored in photo) is slightly lower from the seal and the outer wall compared to the FSA that all are in the same level.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

trohos wrote:

I made the test no site to site play to be honest i feel more play in old bearings. What worries my is that the bottom of the old bearing is slightly conical compared to the new. I mean the inner wall (colored in photo) is slightly lower from the seal and the outer wall compared to the FSA that all are in the same level.

Ah, now I see.

If the overall height of the bearings are the same, that shouldn't cause any problems. Just double check the seal isn't rubbing on the base of the old crown race.

If there's no rubbing, all the numbers on the bearings are the same and there's no wobble with the new bearing with a load on it, then that race can stay put.

If you're still not comfortable, you can either try the LBS again or go for the DIY method as in the video you posted. Definitely get the LBS to fit the new crown though. It's a total pain doing it yourself without the right tool, which is expensive unless you have a fleet of bikes.

DaSy | 6 years ago
0 likes

The bike shops you visited were being lazy I think. Those races are a pain to remove, as you have to work a blade or the like under it to get an initial small gap. Once you have it lifted by even a tiny amount, a Park Crown Race Puller will get it off.

I grant you, it takes half an hour rather than 5 minutes, but it is easily do-able. If you live near Monmouth, I'd happily sort it out for you.

With regard to whether to leave the old one on, it depends on what the bearing angle of the bearing is and if that is the same as the crown race. If it isn't then the bearing will be getting a point load on it that will inevitably reduce its service life.

trohos replied to DaSy | 6 years ago
0 likes

DaSy wrote:

The bike shops you visited were being lazy I think. Those races are a pain to remove, as you have to work a blade or the like under it to get an initial small gap. Once you have it lifted by even a tiny amount, a Park Crown Race Puller will get it off.

I grant you, it takes half an hour rather than 5 minutes, but it is easily do-able. If you live near Monmouth, I'd happily sort it out for you.

With regard to whether to leave the old one on, it depends on what the bearing angle of the bearing is and if that is the same as the crown race. If it isn't then the bearing will be getting a point load on it that will inevitably reduce its service life.

Thank you bro but i'm many many many Km far from you. The dimensions are the same 41.8x 30.5x 45 °  x45 ° http://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/files/index/download/id/5dea8e4ef75ea2...

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure what you mean by a small log. I'm guessing at lip? The base of the old race looks slightly smaller than the new one. If so, its not a huge issue and you can ignore it.

Obviously, I can't be 100% sure but looking at the photos, I think it'll be fine to use the existing race.

One last test...

Slide the new lower bearing on and compare it to the look and feel of the old one when in position. Push down on the bearing and move it side to side a bit. If it has play between the crown race and the bearing you'll need to try something else... Either reusing the old headset with new bearings or finding someone to get that race off for you.

If there's no play,  and the bearing only wants to turn rather than wobble then you are good to go. Just swap all the old parts except the crown race.

To be honest, unless you have the right tools, crown race fitting and removal can be a real pain.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Does the bearing sit nicely on the old race on the down tube?
I would dry assembly and check for smooth movement without any catching. If that works disassemble and grease mating surfaces.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Does the bearing sit nicely on the old race on the down tube? I would dry assembly and check for smooth movement without any catching. If that works disassemble and grease mating surfaces.

LOL! I think you and I are perfectly aligned on this one! yes

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

photo 3

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

photo 2

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

photo 1

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

So it's an integrated crown race?

Like I said above, compare the numbers on the old bearings with the FSA ones.

If they're the same (which is highly possible) just fit them. If they look completely different, you'll need to hunt for replacements on the net and return the FSA headset.

This is the point where we start asking for photos so we can help more...

trohos replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

So it's an integrated crown race?

Like I said above, compare the numbers on the old bearings with the FSA ones.

If they're the same (which is highly possible) just fit them. If they look completely different, you'll need to hunt for replacements on the net and return the FSA headset.

The dimensions are the same, the problem is that the old crown race has a small log (about 1.5mm) that the new hasn't. I will post some photos soon.

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

i visited two LBS yesterday and they told my they can't move the crown race because applies full to the fork and doesn't have any groove, is like this in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBC5CEdgi8. My new  headset is this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gr/en/fsa-orbit-ce-headset-no-8b-/rp-....

ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

As previous poster has suggested, get the LBS to change it, all the parts will be made to fit together, for a start the sealing will work better.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Sealed bearing, just replace, with a smear of grease on the mating surfaces.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Sealed bearing, just replace, with a smear of grease on the mating surfaces.

Exactly this. No real need to replace crown race unless the bearings are wildly different, which is possible rather than probable.

Read bearing number or dimension data printed on current bearings, compare with new. Next time they die,Google said data, buy required bearings and...

Drop new bearings in with some grease as described, reasemble and adjust. Done.

trohos | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for response.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Sealed or open bearings carriers?  Unless badly corroded, dont bother, clean and slap loads of thick grease on re-assembly.  It will last years, there is very little rotation movement to worry about, just the right amount of preload to ensure no free play.

trohos replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Sealed or open bearings carriers?  Unless badly corroded, dont bother, clean and slap loads of thick grease on re-assembly.  It will last years, there is very little rotation movement to worry about, just the right amount of preload to ensure no free play.

Sealed.

kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

You should replace the crown race as it may not be the same profile as the one with the new headset. If your new crown race has a split in it then it is a really simple job to install, if not, then a quick trip to the LBS will get it done (30 second job). Removing the old one is simple too. Lots of vids on the 'net (recommend Park Tools stuff).

Latest Comments