Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lightweight rainproof overshoe... Recommendations?

I'm doing a 250 mile run next weekend and just realised my decent overshoes aren't exactly appropriate for August temperatures...and are bulkier than ideal as I'm only taking a Carradice Nelson.

Anyone got a recommendation for low bulk waterproof/resistant overshoes that aren't too hot?

Hopefully they'll not need to emerge from the saddlebag so the worst case scenario is a scabby pair of Endura Dexter's getting a spray with Nikwax.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all.

I'll give the Velotoze a go.

If, come Thursday night, the forecast is really bad I'll just wear boots and see if I can get my normal shoes into the saddlebag.

mearle | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier Lite

nopants | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for velotoze. Just take them off when it's not wet. I disagree with peted76 - they were great for me on a 600k audax. It got very wet, and although my socks were a little damp with sweat, they were a lot dryer than the rest of me...

The Gavalier | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sealskins waterproof socks

gthornton101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Velotoze tick 2 of your 3 boxes in being very small/light and very waterproof, however by being oh so waterproof they can get a bit sweaty for longer rides.

What about a pair of waterproof socks?  They'd bundle up small and can swap them over for your regular socks once if it starts raining?

dottigirl replied to gthornton101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

gthornton101 wrote:

What about a pair of waterproof socks?  They'd bundle up small and can swap them over for your regular socks once if it starts raining?

The Gavalier wrote:

Sealskins waterproof socks

I've worn these in summer/wet conditions and been immensely uncomfortable. My feet were hot and sweaty in no time.

They're a great tool at other times of the year though.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Merino socks.

Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

They aren't perfect but Lusso Repel overshoes are thinner than most and keep the rain/spray out for a while.

Have you considered toe covers? Perhaps take 2 pairs, swap out the first pair once saturated. I believe Sealskinz make waterproof oversocks but I haven't tried them.

When it's really wet I find that more water runs down inside the front of the overshoe from my leg than penetrates the fabric  2

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not velotoze, they are too sweaty for any long distance.. your feet will be soaked by mile 50, never mind 250.. 

I'm also hunting this particular unicorn.

MrMajic | 6 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Velotoze. Follow the instructions and accept that they may last a single season, but for warm wet weather they are the best option.

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

I would reccomend Velotoze, If you can live with the 'intricate way of putting them on'...and if you don't mind a bit of sweat inducing claustrophobia once on...

They do keep the rain out though...

Latest Comments