Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Buying first road bike online

Hey guys, Im looking for my first road bike and I want to hear your brief opinion on this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Viking-Scirocco-300-Gents-Aluminium-Frame-R...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

I wouldn't put too much on disc brakes on a 500 Euro bike, they won't be up to all that much. Performance isn't going to outshine reasonable rim stoppers.

Decathlon all the way at that price.

Or second hand.

fustuarium | 6 years ago
2 likes

Have a look at stock in small local bike shops. They tend to discount but not clear away old stock. I just found my brother a 2016 Cannondale Caadx Tiagra disc for £500 last week so they are out there.....

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd check out Planet X too. They always have something half decent around £500.

Dnnnnnn replied to drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

Indeed they do - this is pretty amazing value, although I wonder what the weight might be...

www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLELANSORA/holdsworth-elan-shimano-sora-r3000-d...

don simon fbpe replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

drosco wrote:

Indeed they do - this is pretty amazing value, although I wonder what the weight might be...

Any bike at the £500.00 price point is going to be heavy, I wouldn't have weight as a consideration.

kil0ran replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

Duncann wrote:

drosco wrote:

Any bike at the £500.00 price point is going to be heavy, I wouldn't have weight as a consideration.

Define heavy. Sub 10kgs at that price point is doable and to my mind pretty light for an aluminium frame

Dnnnnnn replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

don simon wrote:

Duncann wrote:

drosco wrote:

Define heavy. Sub 10kgs at that price point is doable and to my mind pretty light for an aluminium frame

Agreed. A (claimed) 10kg weight isn't unusual at that price point - at least for alu framed, rim-braked machines (probably not for the Holdsworth). And weight should be a consideration - not 500g here or there but the OP was initially looking at something 25% heavier. That's the definition of heavy!

kil0ran | 6 years ago
2 likes

Unfortunately no disc brakes on the Decathlon road bikes - yet. They are coming in the Autumn I believe. They really are amazing value for money and reliable - and will be cheaper in Germany than in the UK.

If you absolutely must have disc brakes with that budget then your best option is to look at secondhand bikes. You'll get a 1 year old bike from a recognised brand (Specialized, Canyon, Giant, Merida, Cannondale, etc.) for your budget.

Some things to consider: Double or Triple chainset? You mention that you live near the mountains - a triple can be good for climbing, or go for a double with a compact chainset and large rear casette. Look for 50/34 chainrings and an 11-32 cassette.

At your price range you will be getting mechanical disc brakes. Look for Avid BB5 or 7 or Tektro Spyre (Spyre easier to maintain and adjust)

Dnnnnnn replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

will be cheaper in Germany than in the UK

I'm guessing that with the depreciation of the £, the UK might be good value for € customers these days. 

Of course, there will also be German retailers (and brands) we don't know here - cheaper versions of Rose and Canyon (very good value but priced above the OP's budget). Is there a Deutsche Decathlon, I wonder...

Man of Lard replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

is there a Deutsche Decathlon, I wonder...

https://www.decathlon.de

Decathlon is just about everywhere in Europe.

Dnnnnnn replied to Man of Lard | 6 years ago
0 likes

Man of Lard wrote:

Duncann wrote:

is there a Deutsche Decathlon, I wonder...

https://www.decathlon.de

Decathlon is just about everywhere in Europe.

Yer a no! [Andy from Little Britain]

But they're still a French company. I wondered if they might have a German competitor - a Teutonic Halfords or Evans perhaps.

esnifador | 6 years ago
1 like

I agree on the Triban 520 suggestion - excellent value for money for the specification.

I'd also suggest looking at Merlin Cycles, they often have some good deals:

https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bikes-75267/?sort=price-min

Looks like the PR7-R and Felt F95 would fit with your budget, though there is also a £50 delivery charge for Germany, so maybe you could shop around for a similar German retailer. The Felt is half a kilo lighter than the Triban, though the Triban is probably a more comfortable ride.

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know, but when looking at bikes the idiot's guide to comparing how good value they are is to look at the weight, if it's provided, and also the groupset. Pretty much all the bikes for your budget will have Shimano components, so the order of quality would be Claris at the bottom, then Sora, then Tiagra. Sora is probably the best you'll get new for that price, and you'll probably also find a mix of some proper group components and some cheaper equivalents e.g. Sora shifters and derailleurs but a different chainset and cassette. Disc brakes are heavier than rim brakes, so don't worry if you find a disc brake bike you like that's a bit heavier than another bike with rim brakes.

Also, do you have any preference about using clipless pedals? Beyond a certain price point road bikes will come without pedals so you need to choose your own. The Triban comes with flat pedals so you can wear normal shoes with them, but the Felt for example comes with clipless pedals and proper cycling shoes as part of the deal. If you will mainly be cycling as a hobby I'd strongly recommend going with clipless pedals as they make you faster!

In summary - can't go wrong with the Triban.

jordan_dnsc | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks peted76, Duncann and don simon
Well, so I learned that viking is a no go
I will definitely be considering your recommendations, thanks for them, and yeah disc brakes are preferable since I live in south Germany near the mountains and it is no surprise if the weather is perfectly fine then it rains for 2 hours and gets fine again.
My budget is 500 EUR.

kieren_lon replied to jordan_dnsc | 6 years ago
0 likes

jordan_dnsc wrote:

since I live in south Germany near the mountains and it is no surprise if the weather is perfectly fine then it rains for 2 hours and gets fine again.
My budget is 500 EUR.

Check our ROSE and Radon bikes - both start at €900 so over budget but both are German builders that are well rated.  Once you look at the specs you can probably see the value more easily in Decathlon

http://www.radon-bikes.de/roadbike/alu/

http://www.radon-bikes.de/roadbike/alu/

However, I agree with what has been said, Decathlon's Btwin range offers superb value for money.  Even their Btwin 100 @ £250 looks great as a do it all / commuter bike

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
2 likes

The first road bike that I bought was a Viking (Jubilee) and it was great.

I wouldn't touch Viking with anyone's now. CHEAP and NASTY JUNK!

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Road-Racing usually has decent stuff for little money.

decathlon aren't all bad.

What's your budget?

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
2 likes

DON'T TOUCH THAT VIKING!

The spec is very poor for that kind of money. It really seems to have nothing to commend it.

As peted76 says, Decathlon offer excellent VfM, and just damn good bikes - do look them up.

Disc brakes may be the tricky thing to find at your budget though - do you really need them? Unless you're riding regularly on wet, dirty roads (which wear down brake pads and rims quickly) then rim brakes are usually fine, and a relatively inexpensive pad upgrade can improve the cheaper units fitted to bikes in your price range.

If you're convinced you need disc brakes then Wiggle have a couple of offers in your price bracket, as do Halfords - who have the advantage of stores you can visit (if you're in the UK). The Carrera Vanquish is probably OK, and the discounted Boardman - if you can stretch your budget a little - a very good option. There'll be other options online - but look for a decent brand and reviews.

Otherwise there's the secondhand route as peted76 suggests.

peted76 | 6 years ago
6 likes

Hi jordan_dnsc - look no further, the BTWIN Triban 520 series bike is the best 'new' bike for the cash in my humble opinion. Available from decathlon shops all over Europe and online also, go along, test the sizes out and splash the cash. 

Or go second hand, facebook pages are full of decent second hand bikes at that money, this may be a minefield though if you're new to cycling.

Or search ebay for a second hand Giant Defy - there are millions of them out there, people buy them to go cycling on, hardly use them and sell them two years later for a fraction of the price.

jordan_dnsc | 6 years ago
0 likes

also my budget is about 500 EUR and I prefer disc brakes

Latest Comments