Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Squeaky Saddle!

So, I think I have a squeaky saddle.  What to do?

The squeaking only manifests itself going uphill so I can't really get anyone to listen exactly where it's originating.  I'm pretty sure it's the saddle (or seat post) as the squeaking goes away if I stand up out of the saddle plus I've had a new BB fitted recently so it's not that.

For reference, the saddle is a WTB Volt Comp on a non-carbon Kona seat post in a steel frame.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

The effect does remind me of my youth misspent carefully painting and dry brushing Games Workshop/Citadel miniatures.  The saddle does have something of the look of an Eldar spaceship...

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

So theironduck you have a new fancy paint job surelysmiley

0 likes

That sounds neat.  The copper-slip worked (only a teensiest squeak going up Box Hill today) but everything in proximity to the saddle has acquired a bronze sheen.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

A squirt of pledge (wood polish) worked for me a while ago.. into where the rails meet the seat part (it was a tip passed to me by another cyclist for the same issue. 

0 likes

Ah, I think VecchioJoe just answered that question for me:

Quote:

It took a while to track down that creak but a bit of copper-slip on the seatpost clamp sorted it

0 likes

Thanks.   Would any old grease do?   I have non-locking copper based stuff.

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
1 like

Grease the seat post first & foremost.

If that doesn't cure it grease the saddle rails & clamping bolts.

Latest Comments