Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless repair

Hello,

I've recently gone tubeless on my pinnacle arkose, with g-one tyres.  Had some great advice on this forum and from the lbs and the fitting went reasonably well (front one was fine, back was a bit problematic with a track pump).  Anyway all has been well.

Today I went on a ride with some very sharp flints which always used to give me punctures, today I returned home with no problems, but thought I should check the tyres over.  The front had a sharp flint in it which I flicked out with no air loss.  The back has two cuts where flints or something have cut the tyre, they are both deep and must have been sealed by the sealent (orange seal).  I checked and I had lost a bit of tyre pressure but not noticed during the ride.  I had a bit of a dig around in case there was a bit of flint still embedded and the tyre hissed a bit so I decided to leave it alone.

Should I do something to repair the cuts?  Superglue?  I'm reluctant to take the tyres off to repair.  I will buy one of those innovations or weldite kits to carry with me on future rides.  But should I repair the cuts somehow or just leave them?

On the bright side I think I would have had 3 punctures today with the original tubed tyres.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

DoctorFish | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all.  Think I will see if I can get some of that flexible superglue just to fill the holes.  I've not ridden that bike for a couple of days now, but the tyres have stayed up.

2trax | 6 years ago
0 likes

Suggest superglueing the carcass, and then putting a puncture repair patch (or even a tyre boot) on the inside.

Adrian_GJ | 6 years ago
0 likes

Flexible superglue should do the trick ... 

timtak | 6 years ago
1 like

I have wondered similarly about tubed tires. I get a flat. I take out the piece of glass, patch the tube, put it back on the wheel, but I am still left with a hole in my tyre. I have not heard of a product that can be used to close or fill in the whole in the tyre after a puncture. I may try some liquid rubber glue that I bought to see if I could make cleats last longer (it was useless at that). https://goo.gl/L0c3Pj no affiliation. Shoe Goo is another idea.

Miller replied to timtak | 6 years ago
0 likes

timtak wrote:

I have wondered similarly about tubed tires. I get a flat. I take out the piece of glass, patch the tube, put it back on the wheel, but I am still left with a hole in my tyre.

This only matters if the hole is big enough to let the inner tube bulge through. If it does not, forget about it. Normal wear and tear.

Miller | 6 years ago
1 like

If the tyres are holding air at the requisite pressure, just keep riding.

BrokenBootneck replied to Miller | 6 years ago
1 like

Miller wrote:

If the tyres are holding air at the requisite pressure, just keep riding.

neoprene repair should work to patch a cut too if you want to seal em a bit. 

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
1 like

I patched a larger hole with the string type kit. No probs since. 

Latest Comments