Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Eyeloss - Cycling mirror?

I recently detached my retina in my right eye. After the operations it became too badly damaged thus I now only have vision from my left eye.

I have googled for some kind of cycling mirror, there are mountable ones on the frame and helmet but which are best? Any advice or if anyone is suffering the same let me know?

The problem is when pulling out to pass parked cars etc.., i have to turn my head completly to check over my right shoulder.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mancsi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments, i have opted for a bike eye. Seems to have good reviews and was only £15.

I am going for a cycle round Anglesey at weekend where the traffic is minimal so ill try it then. If it doesnt work it'll be another bike mirror. The fiancee has already commentated ''vain much'' Haha

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/352106901853?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=463549...

DoctorFish | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to hear about your eye.

I used one like this for a long time on my touring bike and liked it.  One day my chain fell off, and so did I, and I broke it.  I didn't replace it as I wasn't making so much use of it since I has stopped towing my daughter on a trailer.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/blackburn-road-mirror-brake-leve...

SJS have lots of others so worth a look.

Just to echo Dave above, I always wear glasses when I ride, but still managed to get a bit of grit in my eye thrown up by a passing car.  The end of the ride was very difficult, even with one good eye, and I ended up at the doctors that evening to get checked out as I developed double vision.  All better now, but make sure you do wear glasses on rides to limit the chance of it happening.

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

I tried fitting a mirror onto my commuting bike, but couldn't get any position where I could see any meaningful amount behind me.

It was this one: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/mirrors-bells-and-horns...

I tried it mounted on the frame, as it's supposed to be, but couldn't see much of any use between the frame and my inner thigh - and if you have a saddle bag or pannier rack, then forget it, not to mention I kept knocking it with my knee.

I also tried mounting it on the bend of the drops, as I don't use them when commuting, but wasn't much better.

The main problem was you had to move your head so much to get it in your field of view and then focus on it and then work out what's going on in such a small mirror - then move your head again and re-focus on what's ahead, by which time you've gone a surprising distance along the road. After a couple of near misses with the back of the car in front, I gave up, although perhaps more practice might make it easier.

My conclusion was that I needed a way of getting it much further in front of the bike for it to be of any use - might try something cunning with an old motorbike mirror.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

I love the Cateye BM-45 bar end mirror (for drop handlebars). I used to use an Italian Road Bike Mirror, but it's tricky to adjust it just right and as it goes underneath the handlebar tape, you can't re-adjust it easily without the tape getting loose. The Cateye uses a standard-ish handlebar plug and the mirror connects to that which allows very easy re-positioning. It tends to stay in position reasonably well.

It takes a bit of getting used to as it's only small, but once you get into the swing of things, it's very useful. I don't have mobility problems, but it's great for a swift glance down at the mirror to see what vehicles are approaching from behind - much quicker than moving your head (and more aero). You just have to be careful about your blind spots, but if you end up checking behind yourself more often, then you'll have a better idea of what's where.

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

I lost the sight in my left eye years ago, in a firework accident.  I don't notice much difference now; looking over my right shoulder isn't too bad but when in Italy I do notice it harder to check over my left shoulder.

I haven't used a mirror, I would think the ones on the helmet would be best?  Someone does one you velcro to your wrist which might be worth trying to find?

I always wear glasses of some description now when on the bike; getting something in your (good) eye is a serious thing, way beyond what the two-eyed cyclist would understand!

Latest Comments