Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Good Option For A Ultegra Di2 6870 Aero Bike - SpeedX Leopard Pro

@Moderator: If you find this post commercial, you may remove it. I don’t have any bad intention. I just think it’s worth sharing as a nice bike deal. Hope you could understand. I try to find the forum rules, but I didn't find it. Anyway, you may remove it, if you think it's inappropriate. My apologies!

Leopard Pro is the best deal I’ve ever seen for a Ultegra Di2 aero road bike at the cost of USD 2,799.

1. Aerodynamics
  2. Full carbon frame, fork, aero bar, with Toray T1000 carbon
  3. Full Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870 groupset
  4. SpeedX carbon rim wheelset
  5. Full internal routing, super sleek looking

You may note that Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870 alone costs $1100 on Wiggle

After the delivery to all Kickstarter & Indiegogo backers, it's time to open the sale to the public.

If any questions, you could ask in this post

//i.imgur.com/hmIeqOG.jpg)

//i.imgur.com/suDHz8b.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
3 likes

To say nothing of advertising a bike in USD on a predominantly UK website.

Be away with you, spamfiend.

xcjchandler replied to jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

To say nothing of advertising a bike in USD on a predominantly UK website.

Be away with you, spamfiend.

Thanks for reminding. Sorry for this, and I don't have any bad intention. I will take care next time, at least make a statement of interest that I'm company-affiliated, or better avoid such post.

Toast | 6 years ago
3 likes

Wait, so you post without making it clear that you're affiliated with the company, on a site where you know the review sample got slaughtered but without referencing that review? That doesn't feel quite on, frankly.

In my estimation you've just gone from "shame about the failed first effort, may improve in future" to "dodgy/misleading marketing tactics, dislike on principle"

xcjchandler replied to Toast | 6 years ago
0 likes

Toast wrote:

Wait, so you post without making it clear that you're affiliated with the company, on a site where you know the review sample got slaughtered but without referencing that review? That doesn't feel quite on, frankly. In my estimation you've just gone from "shame about the failed first effort, may improve in future" to "dodgy/misleading marketing tactics, dislike on principle"

My apologies for this. I don't have any bad intention, never want to mislead anyone. 

I will take care next time, and a statement of interest is a must.

Again, my apologies.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

Xcj - seems like an opportunity to promote your product then, the best deal you've seen you say:

1. Isn't it rather heavy for an aero carbon bike?

2. What is wrong with current computers/sensors that motivated your desire to hard wire everything and lock people down?

3. Is the 'updated' version likely to be as badly reviewed hence the desire to hide it from the media?

4. Following on from the above, you'll have a few orders from kickstarter, how do you anticipate word of mouth and reviews to scale up?

5. What is the usp of this expensive bike?

xcjchandler replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Xcj - seems like an opportunity to promote your product then, the best deal you've seen you say: 1. Isn't it rather heavy for an aero carbon bike? 2. What is wrong with current computers/sensors that motivated your desire to hard wire everything and lock people down? 3. Is the 'updated' version likely to be as badly reviewed hence the desire to hide it from the media? 4. Following on from the above, you'll have a few orders from kickstarter, how do you anticipate word of mouth and reviews to scale up? 5. What is the usp of this expensive bike?

1) It's not that much heavy. Leopard Pro is 8.6 kg, compared to a 4000+ USD aero bike, which is approximately 7.5 kg, the extra weight mainly comes from three things: battery inside seatpost, stem and wheelset.

2) We fix bugs of the firmware, and it performs well to record all common cycling data.

3) What "updated version" you're referring to? Sorry about this.

4) We get tons of positive feedback from global backers, and we're community-oriented, while you don't see any other established bike brands run online community. We run this company in the way of tech startup. I have big confidence in word of mouth marketing.

5) Honestly, low price for aerodynamics + Di2. We don't aim for selling cheap products, it's our first bike as a new brand, and we sell it at a lower price only for market attention. Our coming products will be at premium prices.

Dr_Lex | 6 years ago
0 likes

For those of you tempted to commit a significant amount of money on Kickstarter, perhaps read the FAQs - https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter+basics . When backing, you are not buying a product, you are helping fund development. Consider that, if you get no bike for your money, you'll be looking at claiming back through your credit card.  An example of a failed scheme is the Zano - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-3535614

lolol replied to Dr_Lex | 6 years ago
0 likes

Dr_Lex wrote:

For those of you tempted to commit a significant amount of money on Kickstarter, perhaps read the FAQs - https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter+basics . When backing, you are not buying a product, you are helping fund development. Consider that, if you get no bike for your money, you'll be looking at claiming back through your credit card.  An example of a failed scheme is the Zano - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-3535614

Yep, still waitng for my Helix folding bike from kickstarter. I think it's actually going to happen now, but it's over a year and a half over schedule so far

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

I prefer the Genesis Zero Disc Zi for £3299. It's got full Ultegra Di2, flat mount hydraulic disc brakes and thru-axles. Also the frame uses 30T/40T carbon fibre and it has a much better review than the SpeedX: http://road.cc/content/review/203705-genesis-zero-disc-i

davel | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough: is the production model with any sites for review?

xcjchandler replied to davel | 6 years ago
0 likes

davel wrote:

Fair enough: is the production model with any sites for review?

No, we stopped the media review for Leopard Pro after the two low score ratings. It costs a lot for a startup like SpeedX, so we decided to stop the review for Leopard.

We don't have that much progress in media for the past few months.

Next week, you probably will see an article from Bikeradar about the cockpit design of next generation Leopard. 

Sniffer replied to xcjchandler | 6 years ago
0 likes

[/quote]

No, we stopped the media review for Leopard Pro after the two low score ratings. It costs a lot for a startup like SpeedX, so we decided to stop the review for Leopard.

[/quote]

Says everything doesn't it.

Crampy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Road.cc slaughtered this, didnt they? Along with every other "main stream" outlet. 

Im all for chinacarbon, I even have one myself, but not at that price.

You could have an equally nice Di2 equipped bike by sourcing your carbon frame, fork and wheels from ebay, shopping around for the bits that I wouldnt trust budget chinacarbon for / they dont do (pedals, tyres, saddle, stem and bar etc...) then sticking it all together yourself. This could even be potentially cheaper even if you pay a tech to build it for you.

It would be lighter, look nicer (assuming you pick a nice frame set) and wouldnt have all the nasty chinacarbon finishing kit or the dead end barely functional integration. 

davel | 6 years ago
2 likes

Maybe you could have tried a little harder to find a relevant review on this very site..?
http://road.cc/content/review/213969-speedx-leopard-pro

xcjchandler replied to davel | 6 years ago
0 likes

davel wrote:

Maybe you could have tried a little harder to find a relevant review on this very site..? http://road.cc/content/review/213969-speedx-leopard-pro

Honestly, it's a big mistake, and we totally deserve it. We wanted to have the review as early as possible, and we sent the late edition prototype to Bikeradar and Road.cc. It's a lesson learned for SpeedX as a young startup. Leopard is our first bike product, and it's our first time to do bike review with media. I don't think we will make the same mistake again.

Latest Comments